digger advise

Root Slayer Nomad

Root Slayer Nomad - used it mountain soil (lots of rocks, mine tailings, and roots). It cuts through roots like butter. Doesn't get blunt when hitting the rocks, or bent when prying them out. The size is perfect for me too. $40 on amazon.
Edit: attached photo and YouTube review (tried to embed, but got an error). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwBw7M0jT0

41IpbTiRwJL._SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
Cut-down/modified trenching shovel (not a tile spade). Under $35 including D-handle.

picture.php

This is similar to my set up, easy to modify with a 4 inch grinder and a cut off wheel. never had a problem yet. knock on wood,lol.
I also made another out of a roofers shingle spade, they are very heavy duty thick blades.

I feel like I'm the only one who uses a good old USGI folding trench shovel.

Stores away nicely
Well balanced
Cuts any root with a couple whacks
Strong as an ox.

Just a hair short for pure stand-up digs, but longer than my handheld Lesche.

I reiterate it's not a park and playground device, but never let me down in the rough.

Root Slayer Nomad - used it mountain soil (lots of rocks, mine tailings, and roots). It cuts through roots like butter. Doesn't get blunt when hitting the rocks, or bent when prying them out. The size is perfect for me too. $40 on amazon.
Edit: attached photo and YouTube review (tried to embed, but got an error). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwBw7M0jT0

41IpbTiRwJL._SX679_.jpg
+1 on this one... I use the same one and love it. Great shovel, very sturdy/takes a beating, and most importantly it's affordably priced.

41IpbTiRwJL._SX679_.jpg

+2 indestructible and cuts like butter

I feel like I'm the only one who uses a good old USGI folding trench shovel.

Stores away nicely
Well balanced
Cuts any root with a couple whacks
Strong as an ox.

Just a hair short for pure stand-up digs, but longer than my handheld Lesche.

I reiterate it's not a park and playground device, but never let me down in the rough.

+1 for the trench shovel

Y'all do realize that the public or official seeing a pile of dark dirt in a pile next to a hole, where a hole didn't exist previously...trumps any digger you carry. It might make you feel secure that you have a towel laid down, and file the hole when done, the public eyes have already condemned you for molesting the park. Then...somebody complains about some old man rooting around in the park like an animal.

I believe that a Sampson is actually good. It makes quicker digs, and neater hole refills. Both of those aspects can be better for the general public, not negative.

Now, just don't flaunt any digger, shovel over the shoulder, stabbing an ugly hole right in front of people staring. Use common sense. It's not the mere presence of a digger longer than a screwdriver at all.

I don't condone bright, flashy colors on lengthy diggers if any kind. Sure, it's nice for finding one if you drop in in the field, but that highlight goes badly in public places when carryng.

Little eagle by Predator tools. Light, very strong and double serrated for cutting through those tough roots while relic hunting. Had mine the minute they started selling them. Great shovel

Back
Top Bottom