• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

When You Hear A Good Tone...

I agree.

Used to dig all the one ways, with my 350 and Pro, but never found anything but junk.

Not saying this is always the case, probably someone will jump in and post about their great one-way find. I get it. i'm probably missing some great stuff, but this is the pattern I have become accustomed to.

Ok, I'll be the person to jump in and disagree! :lol: For shallow targets (1-5in), I agree, if the target doesn't ring up the same from two directions it's likely to be junk. But I've often found with deep good targets (8in+) that they may sound really good from one direction, but not good from another direction. That's why you should also grid sites from multiple directions. :)

I'm still a newbie. So far this is what I have learned. At first I dug everything that had a high tone. Lots of Junk and very few finds. I learned what a good repeatable tone is. I doubled my coin findings. It repeats and stays in a tight range. I still dig questionable targets, but now I can guess what they are and I am right most of the time...sometimes though it ends up being a chewed up or corroded penny. My MX Sport is really deep. I get great repeatable singles...even 6" down. My F44 gets jumpy after 4" down and it is harder to tell.

Second...I found a school yard that was pretty clean or less junky. That has helped a bunch...fewer targets but generally they are coins. So location helps. I started at local parks. They were super junky so it was pretty hard to learn your detector.

My coils make a difference. My DD is better on my F44 in general but my small coil was way better in parks. Helps separate the good repeatable tones from the junk.

I was frustrated at first at parks but I would warm up at the tot-lot before heading out. They can be picked over but I always find a couple of coins.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I'll be the person to jump in and disagree! :lol: For shallow targets (1-5in), I agree, if the target doesn't ring up the same from two directions it's likely to be junk. But I've often found with deep good targets (8in+) that they may sound really good from one direction, but not good from another direction. That's why you should also grid sites from multiple directions. :)

Absolutely totally and completely correct! This is “a ways into the hobby” type stuff where you aren’t going after obvious 2 way hits anymore....you’re trying to make sites that have been hunted hard by others to produce,and you do that by progressing in the hobby. It is an absolute FACT that once signals start getting out of “obvious range” that they can indeed hit from one direction nicely and not make a sound at 90 degrees. More often than not it is the coin sitting at a weird angle OR you get an indication of a lower conductor or iron at the 90 degree sweep because it’s partially masked. I have gotten very deep coin signals at no more than 20 degrees(out of 360 total,10 one side,10 at 180!) and they indeed turned out to be coins. Not ALL of them,but enough to really wake me up. How did I know? LOOKING at the numeric indication on the CTX,and this is why,if you don’t want to take a chance on everything,that this machine shines.
This response is not to discount anyone else’s experience or criticize advice...quite the opposite. If you KNOW that these things can happen,you are more apt to go try it on some really “one way” signals for yourself. Biggest factors are...it HAS to repeat(even at that one angle) a great deal of the time,and the signal CANNOT APPEAR TO BE MOVING AROUND! Look at that one blade of grass,that one flower...your potential coin signal CANNOT deviate from that one spot.
Excellent Groper...

Not disagreeing, probably(definitely?) missing good stuff...…

I'm not sure, but I was thinking the poster was referring to a target that produced a tone when swept from one direction, but no tone from the opposite direction, not good sound vs not good sound.

Those are the kind of one-way targets I don't dig.

Looking for just this information

I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I was searching for just this kind of input after my hunt yesterday. It was my first time in a trashy place (my third time out overall). It was in the yard of an old 1920's farmhouse. The owner told me there'd be trash.

I had a ton of one way sounds. I dug what I could, but typically found nothing. I also had sounds there were really jumpy. Those all came out to be trash. It was the really good, solid sounds I eventually started focusing on, and they were the ones I always found something, even is if was just scrap metal.

This thread has really helped me to see that it's not just me. Thanks all.

Example that happened to me 2 nights ago. Had the ATPro out swinging, got an iffy signal jumping between about 67 up to about 78. Thought for sure it was canslaw since I find a ton of it up there but also found some other goodies. Was more focused on cleaning the area up hoping by removing the trash I could get to other stuff that may be masked. 1899 IH next to a rusty nail at about 4 inches. I probably swung over that at least 20 times in the past and didn't dig it. Glad I did this time, you just never know until it comes out of the ground. Also had what I would of sworn was a .22 casing turn into a half dime awhile back. When in doubt, just dig it.

I would warm up at the tot-lot before heading out. They can be picked over but I always find a couple of coins.

Hope that helps.

This is EXACTLY what I do to this day! :laughing: When I can, I start out in a familiar totter to get my ears all limbered up and mental processes settled down and in sync...10-15 minutes in a totter is all it takes for a guy to get his mind 'Calibrated' to the days conditions and how to adjust to them before getting serious!...It really is a good idea and way to roll...fire up in a totter, all systems go, have a smoke, take a squirt,...Yeah, OK, now lets go find some good stuff!:laughing:...

Absolutely totally and completely correct! This is “a ways into the hobby” type stuff where you aren’t going after obvious 2 way hits anymore....you’re trying to make sites that have been hunted hard by others to produce,and you do that by progressing in the hobby. It is an absolute FACT that once signals start getting out of “obvious range” that they can indeed hit from one direction nicely and not make a sound at 90 degrees. More often than not it is the coin sitting at a weird angle OR you get an indication of a lower conductor or iron at the 90 degree sweep because it’s partially masked. I have gotten very deep coin signals at no more than 20 degrees(out of 360 total,10 one side,10 at 180!) and they indeed turned out to be coins. Not ALL of them,but enough to really wake me up. How did I know? LOOKING at the numeric indication on the CTX,and this is why,if you don’t want to take a chance on everything,that this machine shines.
This response is not to discount anyone else’s experience or criticize advice...quite the opposite. If you KNOW that these things can happen,you are more apt to go try it on some really “one way” signals for yourself. Biggest factors are...it HAS to repeat(even at that one angle) a great deal of the time,and the signal CANNOT APPEAR TO BE MOVING AROUND! Look at that one blade of grass,that one flower...your potential coin signal CANNOT deviate from that one spot.
Excellent Groper...

Funny stuff right there! This is dead on perfect info for
hunters that want to take that next step in the hobby.

Kevin is dead on, the important part is the target/tone is
in the same exact spot on every sweep.

I have a local site I have been pounding for years and purposely
head there to find these signals. Most of the time wheats, but sometimes
silver pops out 😁. These are 8"+ coins.

Hope my local hunters dont see this. lol

HH DD

But just curious, if I have it set to coins discrimination, should I be hearing tones for iron or other trash? It's like the machine is making it tough to tell.

The ID is only accurate for coin-sized objects. Large rusty iron will vary in tone, numerical ID, or if you hear it. It may seem to be moving around. Also, the pinpoint will be way too wide. That is how you tell.

I had several Garrett Ace 250 detectors and they could not lock onto a dime beyond 4" in my moderately mineralized soil. Then I got the Garrett AT Pro and got a 7" deep dime within my first few hours that locked onto the dime ID & stayed there on repeated passes over it. Now so many are selling their AT PROs to get Minelab Equinox that I've seen AT PROs used as low as $299.

Back
Top Bottom