• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Frustration and Finds

YooperBSN

Went out for a bit today to relax and de-people after a stressful last two days. Slogged around in 35 degree, muddy ground, with a light sleet falling. Must have been in a bad mood cause my first few trash finds just seemed to irritate me even more. Started to just wander and ended up landing my second silver. Not only was in my second silver of the year, it also happened to be my first war nickel! Spirits buoyed, dug a few more signals and ended up with two clad pennies and my first wheatie of the year. Not wanting to potentially damage the wheatie, I packed it in and headed for home as it was then dark. While it was a little difficult to read, my wheatie ended up being my second oldest coin...a 1909! I'd say that my day ended up pretty good :cool:

Attachments

• War Nickel Obv.jpg
    War Nickel Obv.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 437
  • War Nickel Rev.jpg
    War Nickel Rev.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 421
  • 1909 Obv.jpg
    1909 Obv.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 396
  • 1909 Rev.jpg
    1909 Rev.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 395
Not that I can see...was on the phone with my dad talking about the war nickel and when I read him the date on the wheatie, I think he peed himself a little bit :laughing:

Congrats on the war nickel and first year wheatie. Both fine saves, and nothing seems to put you troubles out of mind like a good dig. HH Mark

Congratulations!
We were in the single digits last night and we are expecting 3-4 inches of white death today.
My machines are cleaned and in the "coin cellar" waiting for spring:no:

Went out for a bit today to relax and de-people after a stressful last two days. Slogged around in 35 degree, muddy ground, with a light sleet falling. Must have been in a bad mood cause my first few trash finds just seemed to irritate me even more. Started to just wander and ended up landing my second silver. Not only was in my second silver of the year, it also happened to be my first war nickel! Spirits buoyed, dug a few more signals and ended up with two clad pennies and my first wheatie of the year. Not wanting to potentially damage the wheatie, I packed it in and headed for home as it was then dark. While it was a little difficult to read, my wheatie ended up being my second oldest coin...a 1909! I'd say that my day ended up pretty good :cool:

Nice finds! I love finding war nickels. I still like finding wheat pennies, and the early ones like yours can be a sign of silver nearby. I got a wheat penny book last year and I've been trying to complete it. So, even when I "just" dig a wheat penny it's fun to get home and see if it's a date I need. Warman's makes a good wheat penny book.

I have dug two 1909 wheats and both got me super excited. But both ended up not being a s. Congratulations on the nice finds.

Thanks everyone! Always fun finding something old and special like that. I got out for a bit today in our 24 degree weather and managed $0.12 in clad, the center ring of a 1950s era gyroscope and another zinc and milk glass Ball mason jar lid. That wind sure cuts deep though! Only lasted about 3 hours!

Back
Top Bottom