Gold rings and GoPro camera

A hero 10 is a great score. It's what I use, great camera

Long-John-silver1: Yes: Just fiddling with it here, I can see that it's very intuitive for operation. Great touch -screen, great high-res. video and audio, etc..... My personal go pro is a few generations before this. And I can see from this that they've gotten very swanky since mine came out ! Amazing how I can freeze-frame it on any part of the video, and have excellent crisp pix.

That's a lot of rings! Looks like a fun hunt for sure. And those goldies look chunky :) ...

thanx rat-fink. The front 2 rings were gold. The next is gold plate, and the ones behind it are silver. Aaron is simply a jewelry magnet ! He leaves the beach-toast coins for me, and goes straight to the jewelry :mad:

Ok , I have a much easier solution. But I need your DL# so I can run a warrants check on you 1st...

Haha, thanx Kob !

Nice bunch of rings for you guys, Tom! You surf n' turfers have the best of both worlds.

Yup. Never goes below 30* here. Never goes over 90*. Year round hunting. Either beach or land. The only thing we lack is : Cotton picking LC's and colonial coppers ! :sissyfight:

Tom if nobody else can, a friend of mine might be able to run the tag. He was Military intel and a LEO.

Sent you a PM . Thanx !

Nice save on the Go Pro, a worth find equal to a nice chunk of Gold.

Found a Go Pro several years ago, friend of mine who is a police officer offered to help. I showed him what was on the micro card. Funny, he said keep it, said the guy was a drug dealer. :lol:

Very interesting story, I hope it has a good outcome.

Nice save on the Go Pro,.....

Thanx Dan & OBN !

A wrecker/tow truck service has the ability to run the plate. They’re not supposed to , but…

And there might be a digital trail (eg.: log-in's and inquiries recorded) for those that can run plates. But this is only for if it was eventually used for nefarious purposes. So, for example, if I used the data to track down a home address, & murdered this guy, then higher-ups could see if anyone had run his plates recently.

But for those that routinely run plates in the normal course of their business, and assuming no nefarious purposes, then ...... the digital log-in records are a non-issue.

But thanks for the tip on tow truck ability. My business neighbor is a tow company, and I might pay them a visit today . Thanx !

Tom,

You have very good intentions but… Getting someone to surreptitiously run their registration could lead to problems.

You’re going to have to tell them how you got their information and what would you say? I’d bet they’d be really curious where it came from. That nagging thought of who ran their plate might become more important than the benefit of getting their Go Pro returned. Especially so if they ever had an issue with a stalker.

And, I am certain that if they made a complaint the person who ran that plate would be discovered. No complaint no problem.

If a car dealer gives you their name/address they are likely going to be very annoyed, or worse, that they gave out personal information. I know I would be. You know you have no evil intentions but they may only see that as a “what if he was a …” And that would be a very valid point on their end
You may create a bunch of problems going the private route instead of using on-duty police who can contact them in the performance of their duties.

Craig’s idea is the best way to attempt to find the owner.

License plate registrations are public info, if you're willing to pay for it, you don't need a LEO to run it for you. They're not supposed to do that for anything other than official business anyway.

This site works https://findbyplate.com/ it costs $4.95

Kob, I always enjoy your insight and wit. And yes you're right : There is a contradiction in my stance, eh ? :roll:

And this subject has come up many many times on forums : Someone here knocks themselves silly to track down an owner of some item (because perhaps, like this, they had clues). But then never get so much as a "thank you" or "kiss my #ss" in return. But other times, there's grateful interaction. (and maybe even a tip $$)

It's an ongoing debate. But has little to do with L&F laws in CA, that, ... sure .... technically tell you and I to "run to the police station" with any ring or camera that exceeds a dollar amount value. 2 different subjects.

How much "tip $$" are you looking for?

Tom,

You have very good intentions but… Getting someone to surreptitiously run their registration could lead to problems.

You’re going to have to tell them how you got their information and what would you say? I’d bet they’d be really curious where it came from. That nagging thought of who ran their plate might become more important than the benefit of getting their Go Pro returned. Especially so if they ever had an issue with a stalker.

And, I am certain that if they made a complaint the person who ran that plate would be discovered. No complaint no problem.

If a car dealer gives you their name/address they are likely going to be very annoyed, or worse, that they gave out personal information. I know I would be. You know you have no evil intentions but they may only see that as a “what if he was a …” And that would be a very valid point on their end
You may create a bunch of problems going the private route instead of using on-duty police who can contact them in the performance of their duties.

Craig’s idea is the best way to attempt to find the owner.

Your points are "duly noted". Point well taken. Still working on this, but you've given me food for thought. Hhhhhhmmmm

Nice find, and good on ya' for trying to find the owner. Hope you have success, let us know if you do.

thanx beepsticker !

How much "tip $$" are you looking for?

If they tip: Fine. If not : Fine

License plate registrations are public info, if you're willing to pay for it, you don't need a LEO to run it for you. They're not supposed to do that for anything other than official business anyway.

This site works https://findbyplate.com/ it costs $4.95

I've seen a few websites that purport to do this (for a fee). But that simply raises the million dollar question: If this info is not supposed to be available to the public, then : How is it that a website can openly advertise to get you name and address , for a plate ?

I mean ...... wouldn't the govt. simply crack down on this in a heart-beat ??

:dingding: Good luck on the return Tom! I couldn't return the one I found a few years ago. From the video on it, I gathered it belonged to some Chinese tourists but I didn't have any info to go by. Looking forward to your reunion story!

Last edited:
That’s a lot of finds. The camera is used so you can sell it for what ever amount you say it’s worth. Maybe $100.00
Good luck hope you can find them.

I'm a bit jelly about the hero 10, I'd love to have another one for my underwater adventures.
It's a great find

The update so far is : I got the fellows name and address. Via a kind-hearted LEO friend. The car owner's registration is within 8 or 10 blocks of the beach where we were hunting at, and where I hunt often.

But doing a people search, I can find no ph. # or email for this person. I'm thinking of going to the address, and knocking on the door. And if no one's home, I would tape a note to the mail-box. eg.: "Is there a so & so at this address ? And if so, did they loose a camera ? Contact me at ...."

:dingding: Good luck on the return Tom! I couldn't return the one I found a few years ago. From the video on it, I gathered it belonged to some Chinese tourists but I didn't have any info to go by. Looking forward to your reunion story!

Awesome hunt Tom, looks like you guys had a blast, Congrats on the gold and the go pro and best of luck with the return!

That’s a lot of finds. The camera is used so you can sell it for what ever amount you say it’s worth. Maybe $100.00
Good luck hope you can find them.

Felix, Ron, and MasonDixon, thanx for joining in on the hunt !

I'm a bit jelly about the hero 10, I'd love to have another one for my underwater adventures.
It's a great find

Long-John, I have the GoPro 5, and I am amazed (after toying with this one) at how advanced they are now ! Very intuitive control panel, super crisp video and audio. And held up well despite being in the surf for however-long that was.

I'll give you 10,000 large cents for the camera :laughing: nice hunting Tom!!!

That would be easy for you, eh ? that's ...... what ..... a few months of east coast sand box hunting for you, right ? :cool3:

Definitely go to his door Tom. I did that a couple years ago with a wallet I found. The guy who answered the door said no one by that name lives there and he has lived there for 3 years. Guess the guy moved.

The update so far is : I got the fellows name and address. Via a kind-hearted LEO friend. The car owner's registration is within 8 or 10 blocks of the beach where we were hunting at, and where I hunt often.

But doing a people search, I can find no ph. # or email for this person. I'm thinking of going to the address, and knocking on the door. And if no one's home, I would tape a note to the mail-box. eg.: "Is there a so & so at this address ? And if so, did they loose a camera ? Contact me at ...."

Felix, Ron, and MasonDixon, thanx for joining in on the hunt !

Long-John, I have the GoPro 5, and I am amazed (after toying with this one) at how advanced they are now ! Very intuitive control panel, super crisp video and audio. And held up well despite being in the surf for however-long that was.

That would be easy for you, eh ? that's ...... what ..... a few months of east coast sand box hunting for you, right ? :cool3:

Here in CT Tom... a lot of people today only have cell phones... Your idea is what I was going to suggest you do...

You can try this site for the number: https://nuwber.com/

or

Put the name in mylife.com its amazing what is in there on everyone...

And then they might have the person contact me. So that there is no privacy laws broken, blah blah.

But if I tell them it's worth less than $100 (as if it's one of the older cameras), then perhaps they won't say "give it to us " ?

:laughing::laughing::laughing: WOW! You DO have a sense of humor, you funny guy, you!

Now, on a serious note. I like the idea of you sending a note to the mailing address. Leaves some non-threatening anonymity to it. Could be the license plate is on the guy's girlfriend's car.

Send the note, include only your phone number for contact info.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger

Back
Top Bottom