It's brass, has letters, and screws onto something...

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Hopefully somebody can help me with this one. Found in a field in which a couple houses used to stand. Most of the stuff found there has been mid to late 1800's...

I can't for the life of me figure out what it reads. It's clearly threaded on the broken end. The little dimple on the "top" doesn't go all the way through to the threaded end.

Also, if you recognize the iron piece feel free to opine! Maybe some sort of latch..

Yes, I know, it's an indian head cent! There for size! Funny thing about that is it was stuck in a dug lamp burner in my pouch and fell out while I was cleaning...can't remember finding it but it wasn't too long ago...

Attachments

• DSCN0827.jpg
    DSCN0827.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCN0826.jpg
    DSCN0826.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 554
  • DSCN0828.jpg
    DSCN0828.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 552
  • DSCN0829.jpg
    DSCN0829.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 559
  • DSCN0830.jpg
    DSCN0830.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 552
  • DSCN0834.jpg
    DSCN0834.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 541
  • DSCN0835.jpg
    DSCN0835.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN0831.jpg
    DSCN0831.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN0832.jpg
    DSCN0832.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 544
  • DSCN0833.jpg
    DSCN0833.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 544
Some sort of support leg for something? Very interesting, I cant seem to make out what it says either. I dont know if they are words, or just letters used to abbreviate a company name. Someone must know!

the shape and mushroomed end reminds me of an old brass drift punch I once had, but it wasn't hollow. Still seems like some kind of tool used in conjunction with a hammer, but broken.

If you post the photos and details on r/whatisthisthing on Reddit, someone will probably figure it out. I have had success getting mystery objects identified on there in the past.

This is a difficult one to be sure!
It appears to be more bronze than brass.
Also, rather than "threaded", I would say it is machined.
In other words, I do not think it would screw into something else.
Perhaps it is part of an assembly, like a gas appliance.
The "hole which does not go all the way through" could be a pivot point.
Then maybe it would be turned to allow the gas, like a valve??

I agree the top word is supreme, but that lower word should help reveal some clues.
Write those letters down and try to solve it.

If you post the photos and details on r/whatisthisthing on Reddit, someone will probably figure it out. I have had success getting mystery objects identified on there in the past.

I'll post it on reddit and report back.

I don't believe those are threads. Looks like just ridging to hold that part into a piece of wood. Like a modern ring nail.

Are you sure that the hole isn't just plugged up inside? Looks like a Maple syrup tree tap to me....?

Are you sure that the hole isn't just plugged up inside? Looks like a Maple syrup tree tap to me....?

I won't say that it isn't possible that it's plugged but I don't THINK so. That would be a cool find if it was, but I can't locate an image to match... My buddy I hunt with is an avid sap collector & syrup connoisseur so I'd me more than happy to rub that in his face in my finds bag!

Back
Top Bottom