• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

There must be ALOT of people frozen out!

The last day I hunted was around the middle of December. Hope to get out in about a month from now. We've had a little less snow than normal, but really cold temps. I'm sure the frost is really deep.

I hear you Kev , the rosy fix I got driving south last weekend for that funeral has now worn off .. I woke up this Saturday morning with a feeling of hopelessness with the sub zero week and the the snow cover 😐
My mind should be at peace with the saves we made in January.
Guess what ? It is not my brother . The wheels in my head are turning 🤔
I think I'll fix Trappers pinpointer and think about it for a wile.
,Dew

Yes Dew's get the pinpointer fixed and keep those gears turning. I am now officially retired. Yesterday was my last day. Had to shovel 7 inches of the white stuff before going in. Third snowstorm this week, just don't need any more. I have an extreme need to dig and can hardly wait to get this season under way. Kevin I also noticed the lack of new posts, but can say that so far this year what I have seen posted has been very impressive started with Brads Barber Half to Vic's Flying Eagle. Now seeing Jerry's post of 13 hundred year old coins really has me lathered. The need to dig is getting larger by the post. Trapper

Thanks brother and will definitely all get a chance to swing the Q soon. Miss all the guys but already booked my 7 weeks of vacation so plenty of time this year...we hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike I hope that vacation time includes a couple trips South where we can rape and pillage along side Coin Chaser and the rest of the Windy city gang. My retirement started today so I hope to help fill in your off days during the week and help you set your records. I think if Winter ever leaves I would like to pursue one for myself. Trapper

Mike I hope that vacation time includes a couple trips South where we can rape and pillage along side Coin Chaser and the rest of the Windy city gang. My retirement started today so I hope to help fill in your off days during the week and help you set your records. I think if Winter ever leaves I would like to pursue one for myself. Trapper

You have no idea buddy how excited I am to hunt with you again. All my off days are reserved for us hunting [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t Trapper have like 3 dead pinpointers?:lol: Damn I love my Sunray probe,just doesn’t work well on the CTX!
I’ve got 5-7” of new snow since yesterday’s offering from the snow gods,so Ive resolved to stay inside and talk smart on the forums..;)

Yes Kevin, I have 3 dead ones to be fixed by Dew's after he gets that one done. I have owned 6 of them (8 years). I never knew that I was that hard on them. Even sent a couple back to Garrett and they could not repair so at a reduced cost replaced them. Trapper

Last edited:
Yes Kevin, I have 3 dead ones to be fixed by Dew's after he gets that one done. I have owned 6 of them (8 years). I never knew that I was that hard on them. Even sent a couple back to Garrett and they could not repair so a a reduced cost replaced them. Trapper

Just grab an orange one and wrap it in camo Trap. You can use the extra sensitivity on the deep ones . And durrabuility

The number of DIFFERENT regulars posting pics of finds or just stories of hunts is down DRAMATICALLY. This makes me think that the majority of thread posters on this section live in areas where winter is a factor in being ABLE to hunt! I don’t know what ground conditions are in other areas,or how far away from me the ground is diggable(by normal methods) but I’m bored! Would you people who CAN hunt please go do so?? Threads,videos,stories...I don’t care! Don’t make me have to start inventing stuff here!:grin:

Let's see ... high temperature today was no higher than 18 degrees F. There is 2 to 3 inches of this wife powdery stuff all over the ground. Wind is breezy in the 10 to 20 mph range. And a digging tool or shovel isn't going to break the ground surface ... backhoe will.

Yes I'm looking forward to warmer weather. Then again that might be next week. Has been a strange winter. One week you get up to 60 or 65 then the next week temps are near 0.

We are incredibly warm for Feb in California. I hunt as much as possible but clad isn't worth showing pics of.:no:
I've been running my a/c in my car in the daytime!

Snow Jobbed

We here at the south tip of Lake Michigan got bombed with repeated snows this past week so between that and upcoming surgery I'm out of commission for the forseeable future. Last hunt was in December like others have also stated.

Attachments

• SS854831.jpg
    SS854831.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 76
  • SS854836.jpg
    SS854836.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 78
  • SS854843.jpg
    SS854843.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 78
Yes Kevin, I have 3 dead ones to be fixed by Dew's after he gets that one done. I have owned 6 of them (8 years). I never knew that I was that hard on them. Even sent a couple back to Garrett and they could not repair so at a reduced cost replaced them. Trapper

Here you go Trap ! She came out of surgery just fine 👍
I do not expect any future complications with this girl

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 83
Its sorta fun to hunt inside the house during the Winter!...toss a handful of clad out on the carpet, turn off all the lights and see if you can find it by ear alone!

Once you get good discing out the subfloor nails and plumbing, blind hunting, you have the Wife run around the house wearing nothing but rings and chains and hide from you.....in the dark, you are also naked of course, and you gotta try to find her with your detector just by ear for your reward!...Its one Fun Indoor Wintertime Game!

Note of caution: a dog collar license sounds a whole lot like a nice chain or a ring...so put Fido into his kennel before hand to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings.....:laughing:..

You're killing me Mud, I can't stop laughing. Just what I needed this morning. Thanks for the laugh.

so frozen here I snapped the head off my ground hawg shovel the other week.....in the woods.

so frozen here I snapped the head off my ground hawg shovel the other week.....in the woods.

I actually broke the handle off my favorite snow shovel yesterday! Slipped and fell 30' off the roof! Luckily, I caught a small branch on the way down, and it gave me just enough torsion to align my structure so as to hit the ground flat and disperse the impact in a perfect snow angel traditionally...

So things were looking up, then, the second story window Air conditioner unit sort of clipped me a good one on my head, put me into a tumble, I pulled out of it like an Olympic gymnast, but then the bird feeder post popsicaled me, and luckily slowed me down for another drop...

Thankfully, after somehow taint wiggling myself off the feeder pole, another drop of 8' ensued... Luckily, I was able to straddle the lower back deck railing for a perfect youtube 'Ow my Balz' Credit Card scenario...but hey, I slow rolled off of that, and it was all an easy and a soft landing....the 3' of waiting snow soaked up most of the blood, tears, snot, and urine.....

Luckily, I have 3 other shovels for a backup!...:laughing:
That blue one was my favorite!..I got it for my birthday last April! The Gray one is identical, The Wife got it for me this Christmas!:laughing: I suspect it will get me through the season until July.., it seems robust, just takes a bit of getting used to is all...

Attachments

• before and after.jpg
    before and after.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
I actually broke the handle off my favorite snow shovel yesterday! Slipped and fell 30' off the roof! Luckily, I caught a small branch on the way down, and it gave me just enough torsion to align my structure so as to hit the ground flat and disperse the impact in a perfect snow angel traditionally...

So things were looking up, then, the second story window Air conditioner unit sort of clipped me a good one on my head, put me into a tumble, I pulled out of it like an Olympic gymnast, but then the bird feeder post popsicaled me, and luckily slowed me down for another drop...

Thankfully, after somehow wiggling myself off the feeder pole, another drop of 8' ensued... Luckily, I was able to straddle the lower back deck railing for a perfect youtube 'Ow my Balz' Credit Card scenario...but hey, I slow rolled off of that, and it was all an easy and a soft landing....the snow soaked up most of the blood and urine..

Luckily, I have 3 other shovels for a backup!...:laughing:
That blue one was my favorite!..I got it for my birthday last April! The Gray one is identical, The Wife got it for me this Christmas!:laughing:

damn, careful mud, roofs are dangerous. Also pretty awesome wear on that shovel. i have an orange version similar to those that they don't make anymore. Its over 20 years old, and still kicking. Doesn't wear down to a nub like the new ones.

damn, careful mud, roofs are dangerous. Also pretty awesome wear on that shovel. i have an orange version similar to those that they don't make anymore. Its over 20 years old, and still kicking. Doesn't wear down to a nub like the new ones.

Yeah TP!.....I bet falling off of roofs/ladders kills more guys than sharks, bears, snakes, hippos, crocodiles, mt lions, and bigfoots combined! Bees even! Seems if a guy dont consider things, he is gonna fall off a high area eventually...The trick to surviving "The Long Drop" is planning for it and picking out a decent and favorable LZ...Or else avoiding Gravity altogether and living in a tent or renting a condo!...

Yeah..roofs and ladders and Gravity are probably best avoided if a fellow wants to minimize dangers and live a decent life....the older a guy gets, a fellow seems to fall faster, and just dont bounce like he used to...:laughing:

I like being up on a roof though, always have, ever since I was a young boy...I dont exactly know why? Maybe the World just looks different or I can sit up there and smoke?...

My hunting is limited to coinstar machines and walking around parking lots looking for dropped coins. Can't check the coin returns in pay phones because pay phones went the way of the dinosaurs. Maybe I'll start checking vending machines until hunt season returns.:D

Thankfully I haven't had to get up on the roof this year.. Heck, I wouldn't even begin to know how to get the snow thrower up there.. I bet it would be a challenge.. Guess I had better start planning and rigging up a hoist or something.. I will check with Acme to see if they have any first.. :laughing:

Yeah TP!.....I bet falling off of roofs/ladders kills more guys than sharks, bears, snakes, hippos, crocodiles, mt lions, and bigfoots combined! Bees even! Seems if a guy dont consider things, he is gonna fall off a high area eventually...The trick to surviving "The Long Drop" is planning for it and picking out a decent and favorable LZ...Or else avoiding Gravity altogether and living in a tent or renting a condo!...

Yeah..roofs and ladders and Gravity are probably best avoided if a fellow wants to minimize dangers and live a decent life....the older a guy gets, a fellow seems to fall faster, and just dont bounce like he used to...:laughing:

I like being up on a roof though, always have, ever since I was a young boy...I dont exactly know why? Maybe the World just looks different or I can sit up there and smoke?...

yeah I dunno that i've ever really bounced, mostly just crumpled into a pile haha. You need to start hiring the young and stupid to do stuff like that with with your clad hauls. you know, the ones that still "bounce"

Back
Top Bottom