HUGE Bucket Lister : 1845 Seated Half !!!

ScaredOfClowns

Elite Member
Today a hunting buddy took me to a local schoolyard that I hadn't been to before. After about three hours of hunting with only clad, a token, a foreign coin and a whole lot trash to show for it, I was getting ready to call it a day. I was making my way towards a ball field when I got a high tone signal (33 on my Nox). I had been getting a lot of these high tones all day and they were always junk, so I almost skipped this one - I'm glad I didn't.

I cut a plug, dug about 8 inches down and poured the dirt on my drop cloth. The coin was covered in dirt, but I saw the silver reeded edge immediately. The coin looked too big, I didn't know what it was at first. I carefully rinsed the dirt off with some water, saw the seated liberty on the front and then just about lost my mind.

1845 Seated Half - Both Sides.jpg

1845 Seated Half - In the Hole.jpg

It's an 1845 Seated Liberty Half Dollar - a HUGE bucket lister for me. I still can hardly believe I found it.

It's a shame it's stained from being in the ground for 150+ years, because the details on this coin are in really terrific shape. (This photo shows the coin lit from one side to highlight the details).

1845 Seated Half - Lit from Side.jpg

I called my buddy over to see it and he was as excited as I was (but was also a little jealous, which made the find even sweeter). I definitely owe him a couple of beers for bringing me to this site.

Thanks for looking - HH!

What do you say ? Hell yeah Pa. OUTSTANDING ! SoC That is about the nicest old silver coin I've seen posted. A huge ATTABOY, A big congrats and my hats off to you on that save. Well done. Mark

A rare find in MINT condition. Congrats! Steve

Stunning find and condition! That's the real deal of what metal detecting is all about. And the pics are just as good too. Major congrats!

What do you say ? Hell yeah Pa. OUTSTANDING ! SoC That is about the nicest old silver coin I've seen posted. A huge ATTABOY, A big congrats and my hats off to you on that save. Well done. Mark

Thanks, all - much appreciated.

I'm debating whether it might be worth sending this coin in to PCGS or NGC to get restored and graded - they might be able to do something about the stains, and the details really are super-sharp on this coin.

I'm still in shock - this coin is no doubt one of the best finds I've made. Just goes to show that there are still good finds waiting for us out there, even at a "pounded" public schoolyard.

wow thats a crazy find, I've never noticed the liberty cap on the pole shes holding until now, probably because I've never seen a seated with so much detail.

holy Cow ! That is one bodacious coin ! Striking detail on that one ! Congratulations on that eye popper !:shock:

Wow..congrats on a great find! It looks like it was dropped the day it was minted!

I’d have to say that’s one of nicest coins I’ve ever seen posted! Huge congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom