Taking detector on a plane

StratTone

Elite Member
I'm gonna be going to New York in the middle of September and want to take my ATP with me for the trip. I've searched the forums but most info is over 4 years old so just wanting to get some current advice.

From the looks of it I don't see me having any problems breaking down the detector and bring it as carry-on with me.

My question is about batteries, shovels, and pinpointer. My hand digger as many of you know kind of looks like a weapon and I have a short shovel that would probably fit in my suitcase. Any details about carrying shovel, hand digger, and batteries would be appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

Put the shovel in your check in luggage. You probably won't be allowed to bring that with you on board as it'd likely be seen as a weapon. Same goes with the hand digger. Pinpointer I would also recommend you put in your check in luggage, but I think you could get away with taking it on board. Although I think that someone who doesn't know what it is will question you. The airlines I fly with recommend to put batteries in your carry on luggage so that's what I do. Hope that helped.

Here's an idea I was thinking of trying.

file.php

Attachments

• 20160129_203815_resized[1].jpg
    20160129_203815_resized[1].jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 150
Anything that can be considered a weapon wont fly with the TSA. I would put anything you can into a checked bag. I havent traveled yet with a detector on a plane but odds are I will probably check my excal as well since the bag is too big. But Im ready to go to the islands!

Attachments

• case3.jpg
    case3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 143
I am an airline pilot and take my detector everywhere I go. I know firsthand that the TSA will not even bat an eye at the detector and batteries being in your carry on. My MXT and pinpointer are always in my bag. A shovel or digging tool on the other hand is a different story. You cannot bring those, Ive thought about a stiff plastic garden shovel but they have told me that it probably wouldn’t fly either and I’m just not willing to attempt it.

Usually I just buy a cheap garden shovel in the cities that I’m in and just give it away when I leave. Since I cannot check a bag, I don’t have that option. So in order to get my detecting fix, I had to find a workaround.

Hope this helps.

I am an airline pilot and take my detector everywhere I go. I know firsthand that the TSA will not even bat an eye at the detector and batteries being in your carry on. My MXT and pinpointer are always in my bag. A shovel or digging tool on the other hand is a different story. You cannot bring those, Ive thought about a stiff plastic garden shovel but they have told me that it probably wouldn’t fly either and I’m just not willing to attempt it.

Usually I just buy a cheap garden shovel in the cities that I’m in and just give it away when I leave. Since I cannot check a bag, I don’t have that option. So in order to get my detecting fix, I had to find a workaround.

Hope this helps.

So would I be ok to put my shovels in my checked luggage then?

Thank you all so much for the info. My father passed when I was 17 and I'll be visiting my grandmother who lives in the house they lived in when he was a kid plus its the same land they had when she was a kid so hoping to find something cool or sentimental for the both of us.

Yes you should have no issues putting the digging tools in your checked baggage. If you want, you can put a letter in your bag with them explaining what they are and what they are used for. This would eliminate any confusion that some baggage handler who is clueless as to what it is may have.

Hope this helps.

+1

I am also an airline pilot and take my detector with me sometimes. I have never been hassled about it despite the TSA being pretty inconsistent from airport to airport. I just take my batteries out of everything beforehand. Nothing like bumping your pinpointer on and having it going off like crazy in your detector bag. Or having your detector turn on and running your batteries down and not realizing it until you get to your detecting spot.

I do carry a blunt nosed plastic garden trowel that digs pretty well in sandy soil or soft dirt. I've also gotten many throwaway hand trowels from dollar stores that I just leave in the hotel room when I leave town.

Check anything that could be considered a weapon.

I usually take the control box off the stem and put it in my hand carry, checked everything else wrapped in clothing.

Don't forget to take the screwdriver (Check it in - weapon!) you use to remove the control box (Yes, I've left it at home once!) and screw the screws back into the control box so they don't get lost.

Take the manual for any 'awkward' questions.

Back
Top Bottom