• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Is this what I think it is? What would you do?

vtpaws

I am posting this for someone who dug this from her field in Mass yesterday. She is a bit in shock and doesn’t quite believe it. I had her weigh it and it comes in at .3 ounces. The date is 1795 - which you can see in pic. It has a reeded edge. She doesn’t believe it has value because it’s a dug coin. Thoughts? Advice?
b619da21bcee5e3cd8c157972d94e8a7.jpg

98afe57b65551ed47778f6784ec6285c.jpg

I am posting this for someone who dug this from her field in Mass yesterday. She is a bit in shock and doesn’t quite believe it. I had her weigh it and it comes in at .3 ounces. The date is 1795 - which you can see in pic. It has a reeded edge. She doesn’t believe it has value because it’s a dug coin. Thoughts? Advice?...

Are you suggesting it might be a 1795 reeded edge Large Cent? That would be news across the coin world regardless of condition.

The ultra-rare, holy grail reeded edge variety has a centered "One Cent" where you can draw a line through the middle of the reverse and it would go between the One and the Cent. But, from what I can tell, the "One Cent" on the one in your photo is offset above center, and that's more common.

Even if it turns out to be a "common" variety it's still going to have some value to a collector that wants to fill a hole in their collection and isn't too worried about condition. Maybe 50-100 bucks.

Take it to a reputable coin shop.

Last edited:
What gave me pause, was the weight. The thick planchette weighs .47 ounces. Hers weighs .3 ounces. Your advice on taking it to an expert is definitely good advice. It will have to wait until lockdown is over. Thank you so much for the response.

Awesome find! I got one in MA last year, mine was toasted and had a hole drilled in the middle though :no: congrats to your friend!

I'll add the obvious to most, don't attempt any further cleaning until the value is determined.

"Is this what I think it is? What would you do?" This is the thread title.

It seems to be a bit of an issue to solve. Rather that having all the problems, Just stick it in a secure envelope and I will PM you an address to send it to me and I will assume that difficult task. Now that case is solved:)

Back
Top Bottom