question about hunting 20 acres of proven CW finds.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Here is the problem. I have access to about 20 acres of pine woods north of Atlanta that takes me about an hour and half drive one way from my home in North Atlanta. Due to my schedule and the rain I will likely only be able to hit it once a week.

I have hunted it twice and both time found a few civil war relics. I plan on keeping it my sole focus this Spring for obvious reasons.

Are there any tips on how to carefully search this hilly and wooded area so that I don't miss areas or go over areas I have already hit on previous trips. I was thinking of GPS to mark the areas I covered, but the accuracy of my GPS app (commander compass) on my iPhone is only 15 - 20 feet. The area is hilly, fairly open pine forest and some deep ravines and creeks.

My thought is just starting at one end and marking trees on both sides to indicate a line where I have quit hunting. Maybe just chip off some bark on several trees. I am open to any ideas.

Grids are going to be your best bet to cover everything. As far as a gps goes, I run a Garmin on me to mark my finds. You will get some drift on it so following lines on it won't be accurate to the foot, but you can come close. But at least recording finds will help you keep track of things. Garmins desktop tool also makes it easy to view things, set up points to search next etc. It also helps me study my finds against old maps I have.

I had the good fortune of doing a little over 20 acres of a very large winter camp. By doing a grid search, I found an unbelievably amount of stuff. It did take me 2 years to do. I was lucky in that it is just a few miles from my house. Good luck.

When I grid and try to lay out hut rows, I often use those little flags that Utility folks use to mark lines and such. Places like Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, or your local hardware store are places you can find them.

I would not mark the trees with a ax or paint. I would set up a grid on a map first of the area and then label the zones and then use the bright orange tape that you can buy at a big box store and Mark that.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Flags to grid and/or use a GPS with tracks.

Good luck sounds like fun. The third option would be to hire me to come down to helpšŸ˜

Yuuup all the above is very true . Gridding is the way to go. North to South, East to West in sections. And having natural land makers such as tree's ,stumps, rocks and such are a great and private ways of using whats available naturally . And also not allowing another hobbyist to pic up where you have hunted and not. As you know fill your holes as best you can and after a good rain or two your tracks will be covered. Good luck and HH

Back
Top Bottom