New Equinox 800 just came

mws_1984

Elite Member
After swinging a basic BH Pioneer 505 for a little then losing interest in the hobby I decided to upgrade significantly. Just put together my new Equinox 800.

Anyone got any tips for me? I'm not used to the number system. Just tones with my old detector. Should I be able to just take it right out and start finding stuff hopefully. What numbers do I want to dig and what do I want to not waste my time with? Or should I just dig anyways then get my bearings what's a good number?

Any tips be much appreciated. This things pretty cool so far. I was trying to see what some silver coins I have come up as and other items as well.

After swinging a basic BH Pioneer 505 for a little then losing interest in the hobby I decided to upgrade significantly. Just put together my new Equinox 800.

Anyone got any tips for me? I'm not used to the number system. Just tones with my old detector. Should I be able to just take it right out and start finding stuff hopefully. What numbers do I want to dig and what do I want to not waste my time with? Or should I just dig anyways then get my bearings what's a good number?

Any tips be much appreciated. This things pretty cool so far. I was trying to see what some silver coins I have come up as and other items as well.

Put it in Park 1. 5 tones. Noise cancel and manual ground balance. Sensitivy as high as you can without interference. Start digging!

Foil, small gold below 11
Nickels will hit 12-13
14-19 lots of trash but gold potential.
Zinc pennies 20-21
I like to dig anything 22+ (Silver, copper pennies, clad dimes and quarters)

It will sound different to you for a while. Stick with it!

I would not suggest messing with the custom settings until you have 50 hours on it.

Last edited:
I recommend park 1 for dirt
Recovery speed 5
Tones 5
Iron bias (f2) 9
I use multi frequency exclusively.
They say beach 2 is deeper than all others but I haven't tried that yet.

Stiffwrists and Metaladdict are right on! The only thing I would say in addition is it may depend on where you hunt and what you are looking for.........and, how patient you are! I would suggest taking a whole afternoon at a site that you have been to before and run the machine in Park 1 with the settings mentioned above, and wide open and dig anything and everything 11 and up. I think you will be surprised what the Nox sniffs out in multi-frequency mode and you will also learn what everything comes in at pretty quickly and then you can notch out items here or there in the future depending on what you are looking for and where you are hunting. Good luck!

Get started with some coins and other stuff like bottle caps and rings and place them on clean ground outside and swing the coil over the targets and write the numbers down. That helps alot.

I wish I had seen Stiffwrist's post this morning! I got my Nox 800 last night and took it out today for its first test drive at a site that I have hit with the Garrett 300. The difference in tones and IDs definitely took some getting used to, but man his numbers are spot on for me. I finally started honing in on those numbers after digging quite a bit of foil and junk, but that 800 is a coin destroyer.

Total for the 3 hours I was out was 38 quarters, 10 dimes, 6 nickels (after it FINALLY dawned on me that those 12-13 steady tones were pretty good signals). and 10 or so pennies. I also learned that modern pull tabs were a very strong and steady 14 for it. Kept in Park 1 and experimented a little bit with recovery speeds, but 5-6 seemed to be more reliable for me and my inexperience with these things. Only thing I did change was to put it in 50 tone just because it feels like that will be more beneficial in the long run.

Get started with some coins and other stuff like bottle caps and rings and place them on clean ground outside and swing the coil over the targets and write the numbers down. That helps alot.

Yeah I guess doing it inside on the rug wasn't good. I tossed down a silver coin. It was giving me 2 arrows for depth on something sitting right on the floor. Maybe reading stuff below carpet lol.

Here is what I found and printed on my printer and laminated to keep with me:

-9- 0 Iron
<11 Foil, small gold
12-13 Nickels
14-19 TRASH but gold potential.
20-21 Zinc pennies
25-26 Copper pennies, clad dimes
26-27 Silver dimes
30 Clad Quarters
31 Silver Quarters
24-35 Silver Half Dollar
38 Silver Dollar