First hunt, F5...Review and log...

DIGGER27: said:
Thanks again, Monte.

Yes, the $600 MSRP F5 that everyone sold for $499 for years is still being sold by several online for about $450 with one elliptical concentric coil.
However one place has it for $299 with that same coil, an added sniper coil, free shipping and a lot of extras.
Yes, I'm aware of the $299 package deal. Did you purchase that or only the F5? I already have a couple of brand new 4" Concentric coils in my Accessory Coil Tote so I wouldn't need those. Matter-of-fact I had too many of them from some earlier deals I got a couple of years ago. I was selling the 4' Con coils $30 just to make room in my tote.

I used it on a Fisher F44 and an Omega 8000 but I favor my 5" DD coil on those units, and have other models at-the-ready with small coils, anyway. I'll likely keep a 4" Concentric on hand but the two extras I'll part with.

I have my needs covered with the detectors I currently own and as I mentioned before I don't really 'need' an F5, but .... I just let my new Tek. T2+ go this past April because I don't need it, either, but I still kind of miss using it with the 5" DD coil. The F5, if I pick one up, will sport the round 7" Concentric for a lot of my urban Coin Hunting tasks.

Mostly useless extras but some might appreciate a few of those things.
I talked to them, they say they have a ton in stock and they are now the exclusive distributor for this one but I don't know...
Quite often we see 'deals' on freebies that are not the bet quality or even all that useful, but if it helps sales, I guess that's good. For many years I would use a couple of accessories with a purchase, but they were not a big value. Instead, I sold a detector for what it was, what it could do, and the purchasing power the consumer had .... and that worked.

Not unlimited, eventually they will all be gone but for right now, comparing the cost to what seems like its shocking ability, to me I consider this deal one of the best sleepers on the market right now.
Yes, in time they will be gone. If they marketed the F5 against other current models, some certainly also soon to be discontinued, I think they would sell more of them. A comparable rival that has a 7" Concentric available is the Makro Racer 2. Better for taking on a lot of iron, but for typically day-to-day Coin & Jewelry hunting the Omega 8000 and F5 ought to put up a good challenge.

A higher midrange detector that thinks it's closer to a flagship being sold for an entry level pricepoint...somebody out there will be shocked when they get theirs.
I agree, and in the Fisher line I prefer the F5's VDI range over the F75's. It's more in harmony with the Teknetics T2 and Omega, and I usually prefer a broader-range VDI read-out.

It's a weekend and I hope to get some hunt-time in after today's rain blows on out of here. I trust you an get out as well and enjoy your new-found friend.

Monte

I got the package deal, too cheap not to, didn't even notice an option where you can just buy the F5 by itself but wouldn't have got it that way if it did.
The extras were...meh, the usual lower end stuff.
Already got a composite digger I never use, the gloves I will hold in reserve and keep in my truck until absolutely needed, the headset is China cheap and not great but better than nothing for newbies that are just starting out and have none, the padded carry bag is ok but I have others and never use them although some might find them handy.
Since I also got the extra Nel coil and an environmental head cover that put me over the $300 price so I was eligible for another gift...a horrible cheap Bounty Hunter/Fisher handheld pinpointer.
There are a few around here that have them and like them but I got one for free in my F2 two coil package years ago and I wasn't impressed...at all.
Put a battery in it, turned it on and tried it, took the battery out and threw it in a box where it still is sitting today...somewhere.
I won't even try to sell it to anybody even for just a few bucks or just give it away for free because I actually like people.
Again, better than absolutely nothing for those that don't have anything else but just barely.
The funny thing is I neglected to add this one to my cart when I ordered my package, thought it was just done automatically, but an hour after I completed the order I realized my mistake so I called them on the phone to ask them to just throw it in my box because even though I didn't want it, didn't like it or need it, free is free.
It was too late, they already processed and labeled my order and it was out for shipping already because these guys are fast.
The rep felt sorry for me so he sent me a $25 gift certificate instead so it all worked out better in the end.
I am getting a cool enviro cover for the battery pack on my F70 instead...something I didn't even know was a thing but will definitely come in handy if I am ever caught in the rain using that detector plus a few bucks left over for something else so win-win.

As far as the silly looking extra free hockey puck sniper coil I already had one, got it with my F2 years ago.
For all I know they are the exact same thing, there might not even be any frequency differences between the two but I love that coil, the thing found me a couple thousand dollars in clad and silver and gold jewelry while mounted on my F2 for three years so having an extra one isn't a bad thing at all.
It looks cheap, seems to be made cheap but works fantastically great so again...win-win.

I always thought the F70 was one of the best sleepers on the market considering all the power, abilities and settings available at a price so much lower than the Flagship F75...which was selling for over $1000 at the time.
When it was rebadged and sold as the Patriot for $399 I was shocked, if it wasn't the best sleeper deals out there before it sure is now, X's 2.
However this one at $299 might be even a bit better.
I think the Patriot will still go deeper by a few inches, so much massive power in that thing and if you have decent soil and are looking for the very deepest targets a better option between the two.
But for most the F5 is quieter and more stable and less prone to EMI issues so for someone new just learning a bit easier to get a handle on quicker.
Plus there is the F5 bible, a great and very helpful resource for new owners.
Both great, really, considering the F5 used to be $500 and the F70 was $700 a screaming deal on either one right now so nice to have both options at such reduced prices.

As far as rain we are getting hit right now by Delta, supposed to rain all day here and that is a welcomed thing because we got some needed rain in the last storm that passed through but that only softened up a lot of places for a few days, still in the low 80's around here and that dried things up again a little too much for my tastes at several of my sites.
A full day of soaking rain should help a lot, my real hunting season is just beginning and since this thing seems to be able to get so deep here the ground needs to be conditioned better for deeper searching...it needs to get ready for me and my new buddy because we have big plans to attack it as much and as deep as we possibly can.

Just the other day I got permission from my neighbor directly across the street to hunt his lawn both the front and the back yard if I want to.
I said thanks but I will wait till after we get some rain so I can easily dig nice holes and he will never see a sign I was even there.
Tiny postage stamp sized front lawns around here and most targets aren't much deeper than 5-7" or so, if that, but these private lawns are the last place around here that are virgin and as far as I know nobody has ever hunted his property before.
I have gotten permission to hunt several other lawns around here for a few years now and it is one of my favorite things to do.
Most times old military buttons, wheaties of all ages, a few Indians, several older nickels and even war nickels and a decent amount of silver coins are what I usually end up with.
Found a beautiful Walker half in one once so that was a nice surprise.
Sometimes even jewelry and other cool stuff like coal company scrip and other tokens might pop up so I am excited to try.
Tomorrow, after the rain moves out the search begins.
Me and the F5 and a few different coils are gonna have some fun trying, anyway.

Last edited:
Great at finding coins...Check!

Hit the teeny tiny neighbors front lawn I mentioned in the last post for a short hunt...despite the size this might end up being one of the better ones.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=285918

Dug mostly just the super solid signals in coin mode with the F5 and Sharpshooter coil.
Wi-Fi hitting me hard and made things chatty so gain at about 80, thresh up and down between -3 and 0 and pretty quiet at 80-90 gain and -3 thresh but also tried jewelry mode, 40-60 gain and thresh up to +4-+5...it all worked.
As a matter of fact jewelry mode with the lower gain but higher thresh might have found a few now solid signals I might have not gotten before.
Hard to tell because I just did my drunken walk around this place, no gridding or anything, but it is such a small space I covered a lot of it on my first pass.
I think maybe the thresh setting is real important on this thing, more than even on the F70, setting it at different levels can do different things and change things not just for jewelry hunting but even at coin sites but more observations needed to know for sure.

Otherwise a whole bunch of fun and a surprising amount of coins for such a tiny lawn.
Can you say virgin?
If there are silver or other old coins coins here I will find them...eventually.
My history at these homes is I need a few hunts, maybe several, to get a chance to clean them up a bit and get rid of a lot of the clad, trash and iron out of the way before the good stuff shows up which more often than not is actually fairly well masked.

Next up, one of the two concentric coils I got in the package, maybe the sniper because I haven't used a small concentric coil for a couple of years since I traded away my Vaq.
It did great on the F2, can it be even more effective mounted on the F5?
We'll see.

First hunt...$3.08, two wheats and a key.

Attachments

• photostudio_1602515203983.jpg
    photostudio_1602515203983.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 196
  • photostudio_1602515266009.jpg
    photostudio_1602515266009.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 190
Good report on your F5 & Sharpshooter DD coil hunt. Those are the types of yards I enjoy searching, where the lawn area is at or ± a little bit of the sidewalk level. In short, not a lot of build-up and that means all the coins of the past are not covered up with a depth caused by grass clippings or fallen leaves, resulting in discarded trash being the primary challenge to deal with.

Thirty coins is a nice showing for hitting a fresh site, and you said it was a somewhat short hunt. I wouldn't be too hasty is swapping coils yet. It is a smaller-size yard, true, but it does take some time to efficiently cover it. I'd try to make a complete coverage with the DD coil, then swap for the Concentric to do some good comparisons. I know what the 10" Concentric can do as I worked with it a lot before I made a switch to the round 8" Concentric on my Omega 8000 when I first started using one.

We had some lingering late-summer weather here in Vale, Oregon that lasted up until the 6th. It was 82° to 87° and sunny the 1st thru the 6th, then 77° to 79° thru the 9th. Looking ahead for the rest of October we'll mainly be i the 53° to 68° with lows from 30° to 35° resulting in frosty mornings so my late-year hunting season is taking a drastic turn .... and not for the better. I might start checking on getting some permissions around my small town, if I can find some welcoming looking yards to search.

I am lining up a bunch of new detectors to do some side-by-side evaluations to post on the Forums before Thanksgiving arrives. We're heading into holiday 'shopping season' for a lot of folks and there are quite a few new models available in a very affordable price range for consumers to consider. I recently acquired one new detector, will have a lower-end new model that's supposed to be delivered today, and yesterday I purchased three new detectors .... one of them a Fisher F5.:yes: I hope to have all of them by the end of next week so I'll try to line up a few different places to hunt other than what I have now.

Keep us up-to-date on your F5 progress at local yard clean-up.

Monte

So, Monte is a new F5 owner...congrats!
The man knows a great deal when he sees one.
Pretty cool little tool, I am enjoying it immensely.

Not done with the Sharpshooter here yet but I switched over to the sniper concentric because I just wanted to compare a little and see if it is still as good at unmasking as I remembered it on the F2...or better.
Seems to be, most of the targets on this second hunt were not near in-your-face obvious as the first hunt with the Nel, only by manipulating the coil around many of them was I able to get more solid signals I was willing to dig and so many were very short signals I easily could have missed without spending a few extra moments manipulating that coil from different angles.
If I was able to get these same signals in the Nel I would have dug them, I assure you, and I made sure I manipulated that coil all over the place on that Nel hunt, too.
Just the luck of the draw, here, I am not worried at all that the Nel is not up to the task in this dirt but I have learned that many great targets will come in as one way hits or very iffy and bouncy, initially, and only by examining them further with coil movements from different angles can I get those iffy signals to calm down and come in as good to go after targets.
On this hunt I just happened to hit most of these from different angles than the first Nel hunt so I didn't get the short, quick behavior to make me stop to look at them closer on that first hunt...evidently.
This is not a one time visit here at this site so that's ok, out in the field at sites I don't spend the same amount of time at I do examine most targets from at least two angles if not more if I get a hint of a good signal and that is using all my detectors including the F70 and the Nox because it happens on all of them in this weird dirt.
In Kansas not so much, there it was much easier to get great, solid signals right off the bat and I needed to do much less closer inspections and different angle attacks but if I didn't take a few extra moments to do that here I suspect I might have found about 50% less of the good targets I eventually recovered.
Freaking southern hot dirt...yea, we are blessed with it but we learn to deal mostly because we have no choice.

Several targets on this hunt were badly masked by iron in the hole right next to, around or under them on this hunt, mostly the wheats, but more on that in a bit.
I forgot to mention that happened at least once in the Nel hunt too, I recovered a coin in the same hole as a, light, hot rock...a coal clinker, I believe.
This time it was actual garbage iron that vexed me.

Not a long hunt again, started late in the day and it got up to the 80's again and the sun was pounding on me so I got a bit overheated but much cooler weather is coming and I hope it stays around when it does.
10 years ago I could handle the heat easily, for some reason it is just not enjoyable to sweat a lot in the heat when I hunt nowadays...I lose energy fast.
Getting old ain't for sissy's.

I mounted the sniper concentric and I was a little surprised at the high quality.
I went looking for my F2 because it has the sniper still mounted on it but I realized I have it in storage so I will have to go get it and bring it back home.
For some reason I don't remember the F2 sniper coil being exactly the same as this one, I remember it being a bit thicker and not so solid and heavy as this F5 sniper and built slightly different but I could be completely wrong.
The mind plays tricks as we get older.

Again Wi-Fi and EMI messing with me but it was about the same as it was with the Nel coil.
I could get up to about all the same settings and keep it quiet, it balanced at about the same numbers too...perhaps the great stability I saw with the F5 at other sites away from EMI didn't have as much to do with the Nel coil as I thought at first.
Maybe it is just a real super duper stable detector overall no matter what coil I use so when I go back to that much quieter site where I found that Barber, probably with the 10" elliptical concentric, I will see.
I wanted greater stability than I have with the F70, hoped for it anyway, looks like I might have got it with this one.

It was a short hunt but fun, another quarter popped up, a couple more clad dimes and a few more cruddy zincolns, too, but 5 wheats showed up also so I am slowly getting into more of the older stuff now.
Hopefully silver is getting closer by the day.
Hunting these lawns is a process, ya gotta have patience to deal with the masking and get to all the layers efficiently but I have that and I know if I keep at it I will stay successful and eventually find the real good stuff.

On this hunt I think a lot of these coins might have been on edge, maybe most of them, for sure at least two of these iffier coins were standing vertical sticking to the side of the sticky plug when I pulled them up.
Three of those wheats were in the hole really close to rusty iron, the nut covered with a heavy crust and the two rounded blobs of iron seen below.

H2iron.jpg

Not the most super stable signals on those at all, a bit jumpier with a wider number range than I like to dig, usually, but there was enough good, repeating numbers to trigger my digging instinct once I homed in on them.
Eventually I will clear out most every signal I get because...masking, but right now I am still cherry picking hoping to get lucky.

I got fooled on a few things in this hunt, this house like many of them around here was eventually covered with aluminum siding to cover up the older wood they had originally.
Two aluminum nails came in solid like dimes, a few other small pieces of aluminum too but that happens when you hunt around aluminum siding structures.
A few signals were high, fairly decent but dropped down to iron a lot and I knew better to go after them but I still had energy to do it at the time and in these lawns you just never know.
Those holes just had iron, chunky rust covered nails and screws but no Xray vision so you never know until you try.
Most times on signals with high tones but a lot of drops to iron I just avoid them but because fortune favors the bold I dug them...in the wild away from virgin sites like this I usually just keep on walking because they are usually just iron 99% of the time so I can live with doing that.

Again I tried a few things on this hunt, coin settings with thresh in the negative and gain from 60-80, jewelry settings with thresh at +5 and gain from 45 up to about 75 attempting to stay as quiet as possible, my silver slaying settings with disc maxed and nickels and zinc notched back in after I wasn't getting many good signals for awhile and found coins with all of them.
I tried D1 and D2 but it was much more enjoyable to stay in D4 so mostly I did that.
I even tried all metal for awhile but tons of constant iron growls on every swing started driving me crazy so that didn't last long.
Just the dirt can trigger those low growls here in this soil so, darn.
On my F70 all metal works best around here but I am hoping with this one much quieter disc settings will do the job for me just as well.
I think I had less of that iron showing up with the DD Nel than this concentric so DD's being able to handle mineralization better appears to be a real thing.

A couple of things I noticed on this hunt.
When I blasted the disc to max and notched in zinc and nickels I also notched in iron but that didn't work on the iron.
The other areas it was good but no iron growls at all when I did this.
I tried this on the Nel coil hunt too and the same thing happened...or didn't happen.
I wonder why, maybe the disc and notch system just works this way?
I believe doing this exact same thing on the F70 iron does show up but I will have to try it to make sure because older brain, that memory thing, again.
Not a huge deal, I only do this to see if high hits will drop down to iron when the wiggle and pull back method is utilized over suspected bottle caps, swinging over targets in crown cap heavy sites this behavior and method is priceless, saves a bunch of time and prevents expending energy on tons of useless digging.
If this is just the way it is when using these notched settings a quick thumbing down of the disc knob to all metal will accomplish the same thing over suspected bad targets and quick and easy to thumb back up to max disc again so I will deal with it.
Many, many hours thumbing knobs on my Tesorsos prepared me for this so not so very different at all.

One more great thing happened in this hunt...
I recovered a coin, one of those wheats I think, and it was in a hole near a foot...with that tiny sniper coil, yet.
I KID YOU NOT, IT HAPPENED!
Don't believe me, here is that foot.

photostudio_1602599823094.jpg

Gotchya!!!
Sorry, had to do that, sometimes I just crack myself up.

This appears to be a lady's Victorian shoe/boot from I think is an old lead figurine or toy.
Could be from a lead soldier...hard to tell.
Far as I can tell this was hanging out about an inch deeper than the coin I recovered directly beneath it so, cool.
Still has some paint on it, I searched for the rest of that lead toy around the area but no luck.
Maybe it was mutilated by a mower blade and flung further away so I might eventually find it on another hunt.
Funny thing is I found another boot around the side of the house near the driveway but this one is wood and came up in the same hole as another coin.
Says Noel, I assume part of a Christmas bracelet or older tree ornament.

Noelboot.jpg

So another decent hunt, maybe one more today in a few minutes after I have breakfast before it gets to hot with the sniper and then another coil will get its turn.
Or I might take a short break and go back to that Barber site again instead...I am kinda itching to see what else is there.
I have 5 coils total that will fit in this thing, 6 if I count the F70 DD sniper and two big DD ones also, so I might find different stuff at different depths with all of them...everywhere.
Forward Ho!

Hunt 2....68 cents, 5 wheats and two boots...to boot!

Attachments

• photostudio_1602599613235.jpg
    photostudio_1602599613235.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Digger27, another productive day. 'Productive' in that you not only found some coins, but it was a learning-experience kind of day to help you get to know the F5 with that coil better.

I hope weather holds so you can get a more hunt-time in.

Monte

Digger27, another productive day. 'Productive' in that you not only found some coins, but it was a learning-experience kind of day to help you get to know the F5 with that coil better.

I hope weather holds so you can get a more hunt-time in.

Monte

Thanks Monte.
I try to learn new things on every hunt with all my detectors, keeps me on my toes and you never know what I might learn that could help me out on future hunts.
Plus, that kind of thing is great fun for me, always has been.

So, it can find chains, too!

Yesterday I discovered this thing can find chains.

photostudio_1602766731479.jpg

Not exactly the kind of chains I am looking for, though.
I think me and the F5 have to have a little discussion and clarify a few things.

I mounted the 10" elliptical concentric and went over to the site where I found that Barber.
Curious about this coil...can it get decently deep, will it stay quiet and stable, will I hear those sweet tones over good targets, especially precious metals, like I hear on the F70 with this coil?

Didn't find a ton, no silver but one cool thing, and I had a good time and learned some stuff.

The coil stayed pretty quiet for the most part, could turn it up decently high in most areas but not as high as the Sharpshooter which handles any EMI better as I suspected.
Things were drying out a little after the rain from Delta.
GB in the low 70's now, 3 bars constant on the dirt meter.
Got it up to the 90's here and there, could push the thresh up to +4-5 in a few areas too but as I got closer to the street and other sites I had to turn it down a bit.
Averaged about 80-90 on the gain and -2 to -3 on the thresh which worked better most places I hunted because I moved from that Barber area and hit a few other well searched areas looking for badly masked good targets I missed before.
No super deep signals but it was getting up to the 5-6" range easily.
Got a few past that to 7-8" but jumpy trash types and I didn't dig them.

Tones...Over good targets I heard some nice sharp reports when I got the center of the coil over them.
Pretty sweet sound using D3 and D4, maybe over silver and gold they will sound even smoother and sweeter.
Ultimately I got tired listening to jumpy signals as I moved the coil around looking to zero in on most targets, (more on that below), I switched over to D2 and that seemed better, less fatiguing, and maybe a bit more stable making it easier to acquire target areas faster and more accurately.
D2 might turn out to be my favorite tone choice going forward, with this coil anyway, but we'll see.

Target Behavior...As I acquired targets and moved the coil around target areas this thing jumped a lot with side to side and heel to toe movements but mostly over trash which is a good thing.
I am talking a big range of 10 numbers or more jumping sections too.
I got in the habit of hitting the pinpoint button when I was over a target immediately to find the exact area to get the coil center over it and that speeded things up pretty well.
When I got the center of the coil over trash targets with tiny coil movements they jumped way less but they still jumped more than the 3 number behavior I am looking for.
Over the few good targets when I got the coil center over them I just got a 2-3 number jump only from more than one direction.
This is good, gives me confidence I can go back to my old way of avoiding trash and just going after the solid signals...eventually.
Over crown caps the wiggle pull back method didn't work so great, no drops to iron on this concentric, but these were never solid at all, pretty jumpy even dead center of the coil, sounded squeaky so I usually would not go after these anyway.
Lest you think I didn't put in the effort digging my share of trash on this hunt to figure this stuff out I will show that trash here...

photostudio_1602769867323.jpg

Way more junk than I usually dig on any hunt for years but I am still learning, both this detector and each of the different coils.
I have said before I do the work at first to learn what I need to learn so in the future I will be able to spend way less time and energy digging useless junk so none of this effort was wasted.

Notice the beaver tail tabs...Lots of them came from a small area where I believe the backyard was in back of an old home that used to be here but up further near the street.
They are smaller types, they are all over this park and they maddingly come in at like the 30-31 area or so...exactly the same as nickels.
All of them jumped a little more than the 3 number range when coil center but I dug them anyway, not much more but more.
I dug many until I got sick of doing that but I made a note to come back again and give this small area more attention.
I will look for more signals like this but really try to find the ones that stay in that 3 number jump area because those could be old buffs or V's...who knows, maybe even old gold.
This exact area is the place I found my very first Indian head cent about 10 years ago with my Compadre so you never know what might pop up.

I got overload signals all over the place on this hunt.
On that chain for sure, the two big cans but also a lot of the other garbage like many of those tabs if they were right on the surface or just a tiny bit under like 1/4".
Got them before using those two other coils but I don't remember getting this many.
Just happens on this coil, I guess, as always I will learn to deal with it.
One overload signal was in an area just a little further back than where all those tabs were slightly into the woods where I found 3 Indian years in one hunt recently with the Nox.
I covered this area well a few more times with the Nox and at least a few times with the F70 and once with the F5 and Nel coil and I had to hit this target in the past with one of them at least once but never dug it.
Don't remember getting overloads on any of those detectors so I assume they just were ordinary iron hits and I just avoided it.
This time the F5 went nuts, I pinpointed a big area and it was loud so I decided to just dig the thing and get it out of the way in case it was masking something better like more Indians.
I used the carrot to pinpoint the area and still seemed really big but but I detuned and it zeroed in on a much smaller area so I dug.
Glad I did, it wasn't junk but this nice little Gerber knife pretty shallow, and inch or two under the soil after I brushed the layer of rotting leaves away sitting over it.
Coooool!
A Gerber Paraframe Mini...very light and cheap like about 8-$15 at Wal-Mart and other stores but many use them as their EDC...or give them away as gifts.

photostudio_1602766844828.jpg

Love digging pocket knives of any kind but most times they are in rusty, rotten condition however this one wasn't.
Not a real recent drop, very dirty but I knocked the dirt off of it and could open it up easily and it still has an extremely sharp blade.
When I cleaned it up at home it looked good so I will put it back in action, maybe throw it in the center console of the truck or something just in case for some reason.

I have found recovered a few other decent knives from the dirt that are definitely still useable plus one switchblade and a couple of keychain Victronox types.
My favorite one is still this Case Mini Copperlock I got out of a park where it was a few inches deep, still open with the blade pointing up...another reason to wear gloves.
Manufactured in 2010, dropped who knows when but not super recent and it is now my EDC.
This was not a cheap knife, somebody was not happy they lost it.
The nickel silver bolsters on the ends discolored from chrome shiny to black after that dirt nap but I love it...I bet nobody out there that owns this same knife has one that looks like mine.
Pictured next to it is I think a very old Shrade Uncle Henry folder I dug the same day from an old curb strip I hunted on the way home from that park.
Much more representative of how most knives I find look.

photostudio_1602773765885.jpg

So another decent hunt...for learning, anyway.
Found a few coins, a gear from an old clock which is another kind of target I love to find and all those targets were solid and easy to notice and figure out before I dug them with good behavior, but mostly just got used to the F5 with this concentric coil mounted and that experience is priceless.

More to come!

Attachments

• photostudio_1602766773270.jpg
    photostudio_1602766773270.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Another good report, Digger27, on an adventurous day afield. It's good that you remind folks that 'trash' is out there to be dealt with. We can't ignore it all, that's for sure. And, like you, I enjoy finding good pocket knives. My last three were all new or 'as new' Gerber and Old Timer. It seems those often come in periodic groups of two or three and then I go a spell without any. Site selection is often a key ingredient.

I'm getting ready to start my multi-detector review in about a week. I'm still getting selected detectors together, and my T2+, Omega 8500 and F5 should be here next Monday, according to UPS Tracking. It will be a definite fall weather weekend to get started with highs around 54° and lows about 30° but at least it should be under bright blue sunny skies.

I'll be comparing all the detectors with their standard search coils, but I do have some favorite accessory coils I'll be working on several of these detectors, and will likely have more variety for the F5 and Omega. Still trying to line up an interesting new site to hunt instead of just the highly-hunted local places.

Several do have a fair amount of discarded trash so using the different 4" and 5" search coils on different models will make for some interesting comparisons. In the meantime, I hope you chance upon an over-looked silver or two since the sites are producing wheat-back cents for you.

Monte

Threw on the F75 11" DD today just to see how she worked on the F5.
It was ok, mismatched frequency and it acted pretty good but a few weird behaviors.
I will write that all up later, tired now, but this morning from that neighbors lawn silver finally popped up so I had to throw that in here.
A tiny, scratched up, dinged and dented silver photo locket.
Been down there a while I assume, could be 80 years or more and the hinge broke the second I touched it but everything is there except the photo including the one thing I wanted...a 925 mark.
I bought this thing to be a jewelry hunter, primarily, nice to know it is great at that, too, as well as everything else it can do.

Attachments

• photostudio_1603053994252.jpg
    photostudio_1603053994252.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 133
  • photostudio_1603054124640.jpg
    photostudio_1603054124640.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 132
Threw on the F75 11" DD today just to see how she worked on the F5.
It was ok, mismatched frequency and it acted pretty good but a few weird behaviors.
----

---- I bought this thing to be a jewelry hunter, primarily, nice to know it is great at that, too, as well as everything else it can do.
Once again, congratulations on success from time well spent.

Yes, the F75 11" BiAxial coil might fit but is a mismatch and that can alter visual and audio reporting and also just not behave properly. But at times things can be close. The F75 and Teknetics T2 are both working at about 13 kHz but their search coils do not interchange and function properly.

My next three detectors i just purchased last week should arrive tomorrow and I'll get everything assembled and start working on my multi-unit product review. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to make sure I have all the test scenarios set up and ready to evaluate each and every model I'll be using with their stock search coils. Then I'll have some help searching a couple of sites with all of them and be taking notes along the way.

Next, I am going to test each model with all of the accessory coils i have on-hand that ARE a proper coil for the detector and will comment on them, too. For the Fisher F5, it is coming with the 10" Concentric coil a 4" Concentric coil, but I also have on-hand the 5" DD coil and the 11" BiAxial coil, so that model with be checked-out with at least 4 different search coils. I'll use the same 4 coils on the Omega-8500.

You know, through the years I've been using and learning different makes and models, one thing that has always been interesting is how some results sort of go against the grain of popular thinking. For example, in the latter '70s and early '80s it was easy to see more differences between the lower-frequency detectors, that worked from about 4.8 kHz to 6.59 kHz, and the higher-frequency units at or close to 15 kHz. At the time, we noted better performance on lower-conductive targets, like gold jewelry and US Nickels, with the higher-frequency models and higher-conductive targets, such as silver coins, favored using the lower-frequency detectors.

In '83 Tesoro hit the market and most of their models operated at 10 kHz to 12 kHz, and even one at 15 kHz, the Golden Sabre Plus. I started using Tesoro models most of the time in mid-'83, but also had some of my favorite 15 kHz detectors in my arsenal. I found a lot of coins and trade tokens as well as a lot of gold and silver jewelry with them.

In March of 2010 I bought a Teknetics Omega to check it out and I found it to be very comfortable for a lot of urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and it was a great TID unit for those applications. Also, I enjoyed good jewelry finds with it. It operated at 7.69 kHz so it wasn't in the lowest of the VLF's I used, but it wasn't quite in the 10-15 kHz range I favored, either. So i figured it was an excellent combination of both a functional operating frequency combined with a decent circuitry design.

I have used some higher-frequency detectors that didn't work as well as I had hoped on gold jewelry, so it really gets down to a happy blend of frequency combined with circuitry design ... and a proper search coil for the task, too.

The bulk of my current detectors fall in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range, and when I have used them in urban Coin Hunting sites they have worked fine on locating desired jewelry items. I have, in frequency order:

XLT @ 6.59 kHz

2 Bandido II µMAX @ 10 kHz
Silver Sabre µMAX @ 10 kHz
2 Simplex + @ 12 kHz
Racer 2 @ 14 kHz
MX-7 @ 14 kHz
Midi Hoard @ 15 kHz
FORS CoRe @ 15 kHz.

FORS Relic @ 19 kHz.

I also have 3 SMF detectors.

2 Apex
Vanquish 540

My 2 Apex devices also feature Selectable Single Frequencies of 5, 10, 15 and 20 kHz, and their 'default' turn-on is 15 kHz .... right in my favorite range.

Arriving tomorrow should be a new:

Omega-8500 @ 7.69 kHz
F5 @ 7.8 kHz

T2+ @ 13 kHz.

As you can see, i do have models with a bit of a spread in the operating frequency range, but the bulk of these fall in that 10 to 15 kHz range. And they happen to work well or I wouldn't have them around or have an interest in them.

Colder weather and snow soon will invade the gold mining ghost towns we like to hunt, but I'll have a month to work in a couple of trips to a lower elevation townsite, plus start putting in more city oriented Coin & Jewelry Hunting with these. It's going to be fun.

Best of continued success and learning with the F5. It's handy having that yard just across the street to hunt.

Monte

More great info, Monty so thanks.
Air testing is ok but no better way to see what tools can really do than by actual in the field testing...the more the better.
Nobody doubts the experience you have and your scientific methods are right up my ally and great to compare my experiences to yours.

More coils get their turn..

So the last few hunts I tried the big 11" F75 DD and yesterday I threw on the F75 round 5" DD coil.
One worked just ok, the other much better.

The big DD I had hoped for good results, great depth, good coverage, good sensitivity and decent stability and normal behavior compared to it mounted on my F70.
I got some of that but not all of it.
Can't say I was shocked at that, mismatching frequencies can be a crapshoot, at best.
I took it to another park close to me that I have hunted for years, found some coins, the coverage was great but overall not a super fun experience.
Stability was ok, I could turn it up some but even at lower settings not as quiet as the Nel coil or the two concentrics the F5 came with.
Neither of those concentrics were quite as quiet as the Nel, either, but they were better than this one.
Pinpointing was ok but I was off a little on a few targets, not a lot but some, not sure why.
The depth was, meh...could be I just never scanned anything decently deep but I checked depth all over the place on targets and I wasn't impressed.
I came home and hit that lawn across the street for a tiny bit, found a couple of coins I missed but that silver locket came in solid and nice although not real deep.
The wiggle pull back method over crown caps watching for a drop to iron on this coil worked sometimes but sometimes it didn't which seemed weird to me.
On the F70 It always works with all coils and the F5 with the Nel I could count on this everytime.
Maybe I will buy a bigger DD that matches the frequency sometime for extra depth which I assume will work better but this 13.5 frequency DD coil will probably not be mounted on the F5 again.

Now on the 5" F75 DD coil a whole different story.
It worked pretty darn good all day at a different park and I found several coins there and even more at that lawn when I returned home, found another wheat in that lawn, a few dimes I missed before, a few zincolns and one or two copper cents.
Also that gold looking earring in the pic below.
That was in a hole with a high tone coin, a mixed signal and a little choppy but enough of it for me to go after it.
The obvious signals are getting scarce in this lawn, time to start going after the not so obvious ones but we need more rain before I hit this lawn again.
I got the coin out with the round Fisher F75 sniper, rescanned and got a real solid 25-25 on that earring and it came up clean.
Just below nickel, a perfect signal for an open gold target like this.
Couldn't wait to test it, hoped for gold, but at 10k the scratch stayed for a short time but eventually got eaten up.
At the most this thing is plated but I am sure we will find solid gold together, eventually.
Hopefully sooner than later.

Overall the round sniper coil was pretty good, not super deep in this one either but it was easy to pinpoint accurately because of the small size.
The wiggle and pull back thing over caps worked most of the time but one thing I didn't like was it seemed unusually solid over tabs, both sta-tabs and beaver tails.
Don't recall the Nel being as stable over these things, could be mistaken or it just could be the tabs in this part of the park in that dirt just do that...need to bring the Nel there and see what happens.
Finding those new coins in that lawn with this coil after missing them with others didn't bother me, a lot of success around here has a lot to do with the direction you come at targets from, again all a crapshoot in this dirt.
Sometimes you can get good signals from more than one direction, something I do checking many targets, sometimes just one way hits could be good because of the too much iron I am so blessed to have around here.
All the targets in the pic below to me says I had a good hunt considering I hit the areas I hunted many times before.
Will this be a coil I use in the future, probably not because the Nel seems to do it all a little better and deeper but nice to know I have another option to try at sites where it dries up with the Nel.

So where am I with all the coils I have tried so far?
Still need to try the bigger Cors Cannon coil but I hid that somewhere and need to look for it.
Not sure if it will work a whole lot better than the Fisher 11", I think on the bigger coils matching frequencies might matter but I will try that one when I dig it out.

The sniper concentric was ok, not the same experience I remember having on the F2 but it found targets.
Not remarkably deep but it might come in handy in some heavy iron, trash or sites infested with a million crown caps.
I can deal with all that with the Nel, however, and that coil seems to get much deeper on the F5 without trying hard.

The elliptical concentric was nice, pretty decent tones in multi-tones...not exactly the same super sweet ones I hear on the F70 but they are two different detectors, after all.
Depth I am pretty sure would be more than adequate in real nice dirt but here in my dirt not spectacular.
Deep enough for the 5" level, maybe 6" and that is where tons of my targets hide but I never saw anything that knocked my socks off in depth where that Nel, again, did better.

The 11" DD at 13.5 kHz was a good try but nothing I feel the need to explore a lot more.

The 13.5 kHz round Fisher DD was better, if I didn't have the Nel Sharpshooter it would probably be my coil of choice for most situations but I have the Nel which in depth and maybe a few other areas seems a bit better so redundant for my use going forward.

The Nel Sharpshooter...so glad I got this coil.
It works great on the F70 but maybe even better on the F5.
Keeps it very quiet and stable, even at very high settings, seems to find all targets with no problems, deals with iron and crown caps with very familiar and normal behavior I am used to in my dirt and the depth it gets here does shock me.
I assume other, smaller Fisher DD coils in the correct frequency might work pretty darn good here too but I don't have those and I don't plan on getting any as the Sharpshooter seems to fill all my needs.
For jewelry hunting, anyway, most normal depths on older coins also, and the important thing here is unmasking and it seems pretty great at that in my dirt, too.

As I mentioned one day I might consider a bigger DD coil in the matching frequency just to see how deep I can get, probably in the Nel or Cors lines since I had such good experiences with them, but super depth isn't all that important here and the smaller Nel seems to get me where I need to go and more.
I tend to splurge on new accessories after I hit jackpots at the casinos and until this covid thing is past us I ain't going near those places but someday I will return and maybe win some extra funds to experiment.

For now the Sharpshooter will be my go-to coil for most sites going after most targets...I guess.
Done very well for me so far with limited use, I think I lucked out getting the F5 to see if it would work well in my dirt, and it has, and I was just as lucky choosing the Nel sharpshooter as an optional coil out of so many others I could have bought.
Love it when a plan comes together.

I will keep adding to this thread as my hunts continue.
Much more treasure to come.

Attachments

• photostudio_1603463498575.jpg
    photostudio_1603463498575.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 117
So the last few hunts I tried the big 11" F75 DD and yesterday I threw on the F75 round 5" DD coil.
One worked just ok, the other much better.
Well, I wish you were not on the wrong side of the country as I would gladly let you share some of my coils as I work on my multi-detector product review.

It's never a good idea to work coils on a detector that were not designed for or tuned for that detector. I many cases some detectors won't even turn-on and operate at all, while others might operate terribly.

I got the last batch of detectors I purchased a week ago in on Monday so I have been very busy, day and night, working on product reviews and comparisons with all of these detectors. In some cases I do not have a smaller-size coil or a mid-size coil, or any over-size search coils for them. However, for the brand new Fisher F5 and Teknetics Omega-8500 units, I am able to use the following 'proper' search coils that they share:

• 4" Concentric
• 5" Double-D
• 7" Concentric
• 10" Concentric elliptical
• 11" BiAxial (aka Double-D)

I have my two 'Special-Use Team' units at-the-ready with their smaller coils for taking on the nastiest of iron contaminated old sites I like to hunt. I also have my two all-time favorite non-display (aka "Beep-and-Dig") Tesoro's on-hand. But I have been both reviewing several models in-the under $550 price range, and also taking a look at my personal Detector Outfit to make any adjustments with them that appeals to me.

As of today it looks like two of my new models are going to be staying put on the back seat of my vehicle or hanging on my den wall display The Teknetics T2+ w/over-sized coil for hunting wide-open areas, and the Fisher F5 for my routine 'Daily-Use Team' needs, and now I just need to decide which search coil I want to keep mounted to it on a full-time, ready-to-grab basis. It's cool today and colder tomorrow, but I plan to work both my T2+ and F5 at a couple of local parks and the rodeo grounds, but this time I'll have the round 7" Concentric coil mounted on the F5 for the next couple of days.

I sure wish winter wasn't arriving soon as i want to put more hunt-time in. I wish you had some of the 'proper' coils to use with your F5 as it might make a difference.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I can hunt through the winter here and soon it should cool off some, we got back into the mid 80's again for the last week and not forecasted to get to the low to mid 70's until next Wednesday...if we get some rain tonight or tomorrow maybe earlier.
I am kinda done and tired dealing with summer temps, a nice cooler fall for awhile consistently will be a welcome change.
As much as I like futzing around with coils I think I found out what I needed to know, snipers work best for me around here, DD's do handle the mineralization a little better and the Nel sniper should do a bang up job for me.
For awhile I will leave that one mounted and just go hunt in a few different sites.
Maybe still play with the settings a bit, I am always doing that, but using just one coil I can concentrate on that which should permit me to dig more quality targets overall.
More solid targets which is my way and avoid a lot of the actual trash while doing that.
Like I said maybe one day get a matched big DD for the thing and see how deep I can get but I still have the F70 if I need it for any site where major depth is called for although the F5 and the Nel seems to work almost as well in my dirt if not better...more accurate ID's at depth with more stable behavior, anyway.
Back out west the F5 would not be near as deep as the F70, here the rough soil evens out the playing field...a lot.
Plus my Nox can get pretty deep here also.
Most of my sites aren't that need crazy depth type, though, so the Nel should be all I need for awhile.
It was fun trying out the different coils but the F5 found me lots of coins, a Barber dime and some small silver jewelry just messing around, time to get serious and see what we can do.

Last edited:
F5 finds my oldest coin...Ever!

A Chinese coin but I will take it.
Qing Dynasty, minted between 1736-1795 so at least 225 years old, probably older than that.
Who knows how it got here or when it was lost but that is one of the fun things about this hobby.
Could have been a collectable owned by someone that lived in that house or it could have been lost a few hundred years ago by someone traveling through this area way before there was civilization around here.

Chinac.jpg

Took the F5 with the small round F75 sniper coil still mounted across the street to that lawn because we got rain and the site became live again, I was gonna change back to the Nel but I was too lazy.
Worked well again, lots of targets still here, I left several zinc cent signals in the ground for now but I will get after them another time.

Most of the dimes were solid low 70's, the rest a bit more iffy and not in that 3 number solid range I look for but still in a small range with no bounces to other sections so I dug them.
The quarter I missed before this, not exactly the most solid 80 signal like all the ones I found on my first hunt and very short and small signal but I finally got it to stay on 80 with some coil manipulations.
Not deep at all, just my weird dirt does this to so many targets just like this.
The key on the left is fancy, P & F Corbin which could be anywhere from the late 1800's to the early 60's but I assume early 40's to 50's like many targets I find in these lawns.
No wheats on this hunt but that one of those nickels was a 1940...just a little newer and I would have had some more silver but maybe next time.

The Chinese coin hovered around the low 50's, maybe 5" deep and out of the ground a solid 53 and I went after it because I have found 5 10k gold rings in this area in the past so hoping for another one but not this time.
Still a really cool target, though, a bucket lister first Chinese coin so I am happy.

I found my big Cannon coil so I will try that next, don't have a lot of hope that it will work a whole lot better than the 11" DD Fisher coil but who knows...a different brand and different coil so maybe it will surprise me and I hope it does.
You never know until you try, I will give it a shot so I won't wonder anymore.

This lawn is turning out to be pretty great, if I can find a couple of silver coins it will end up to be one of the best I have hunted so far so not done here by a long shot.
Plus that backyard is still in my future plans.
Nice to have such a nice site to hunt only 20 yards from my home.

Attachments

• photostudio_1603813736777.jpg
    photostudio_1603813736777.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
A Chinese coin but I will take it.
Qing Dynasty, minted between 1736-1795 so at least 225 years old, probably older than that.
Who knows how it got here or when it was lost but that is one of the fun things about this hobby.

Took the F5 with the small round F75 sniper coil still mounted across the street to that lawn because we got rain and the site became live again, I was gonna change back to the Nel but I was too lazy.
Once again your yard hunting was rewarding. Again, I'm glad to hear the F75 5" DD coil is working, but technically it isn't supposed to be working all that well. Too bad you don't have the proper 5" DD coil for the F5.

I was out a bit the last few days, when the wind eased up and the temperature rose, and was mainly comparing the three 'standard-size' coils I have for the F5. The 11" BiAxial, the 10" Elliptical Concentric, and the round 7" Concentric. About them all, I sure wish FTP would make their search coils with the rod-mount ears at or closer to the center-axis of the coil. All three of these coils have the rod positioned too far to the rear.

However, as I have experienced in the past with an Omega 8000 and F44, I really enjoyed using the round 7" Concentric search coil the most. I think that's the coil I am going to leave mounted on the F5 as a full-time, grab-and-hunt set-up. The 5" DD is on a spare lower rod should I feel a need for it.

There are a lot of features with the F5 that I really like and help make it a very good fit for my Coin & Jewelry Hunting needs as a Daily-Use Team model that rides in my vehicle. Warmer weather is due by the weekend and I hope you'll have some huntable weather over your way as well.

Monte

Well, I found my 13.5 khz Cors Cannon coil and threw that on the end of my F5 for the day.
Yea, that's not gonna happen again and I seriously doubt I will be looking for a big coil like this in the future for the F5...matching frequency or not.
I forgot how big this thing is, on the F70 it fits fine, pretty solid and not much play that I can remember but for some reason on the F5 I just couldn't tighten it up enough.
Pretty floppy, I didn't want to go too far and break the ears or anything else so I just left it that way.
Not actually all that bad if I left it on the ground and just scooted along the surface but that wasn't possible all the time.
Also pretty unwieldy...snipers on the end of any of my detectors are like swinging nothing and I just got used to that and enjoy the experience.
Pretty much been a sniper guy since June 30th 2012 which was the first hunt I used one on the F2 and not much has changed since then.

Again, shocking depth with this thing wasn't possible, or at least I never saw it anywhere I went in both the neighbor's lawn and a park.
Also that wiggle pull back method over crown caps didn't work very well at all most of the time just like on the 11" DD F75 coil and at that park there were a million of these things.
Very frustrating.

I found some stuff, one coin in that lawn and that key and the rest at the park, most of it at the edge of the park where an old home was recently knocked down and the site leveled.
I found an old stone walkway next to that home that I didn't know was there because it was covered up by grass and dirt forever, pretty much a sidewalk that has been there for almost a 100 years or more and I searched along each side all the way to the street to where it started but nothing but junk, junk, junk...and a million crown caps.
That fitting in the pic on the top left is the cap for a grounding rod, almost 5 oz's of solid copper and that one screamed but overall not a nice, fun relaxing hunt.
At all.
I am going to stop all this messing around with coils, throw the Sharpshooter on there and just go hunting from this day forward.
It performed way more than just well when I used it before, I got it for specific and logical reasons and it pleased me to no end when I hunted with it so that's it, put a fork in me, I'm done.
I bought the thing and I am just gonna use it and be deliriously happy...end of story.

Nice to try all these different coils to see what they could do but I know my area, my sites and my dirt.
Snipers just work the best for me around here, the Sharpshooter works really well in my environment on the F70 and I am shocked and pleased on how it matches up with the F5.
I am not kidding about that shocked part in both stability and depth.

So from now on all targets pictured in this log will be found with that coil unless I tell you differently, I am sure there will be many with hopefully a few more delightful surprises in the future.

Maybe later today I will try it in that lawn again so we will see what I missed before.

Attachments

• photostudio_1604073139549.jpg
    photostudio_1604073139549.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Soooooooo much better!
Put the Nel back on, hit the neighbor's lawn and it was a pleasure!
Found more coins, a few from the backyard that I hunted a few minutes just to check it out and I found a few dimes, another 50's wheat and that car which I think is my first Lesney.
A 1973 Saab Sonnet III.
Quiet, stable, a few signals were really short and jumpy but I got them to calm down and stay in a small range.
Some iron fooled me but eventually I finally realized if I got some higher hits and they dropped down 20-30 numbers I should just not bother because they were iron nails every time.
I kinda knew this but I still go after some iffy ones in private lawns but I think I will just stop doing that now.

The very best thing is this green 1920 wheat, that baby came out of my own front lawn which is an area I have covered so many times for years.
Sounded far away, also short and a bit squeaky but it stayed in the higher numbers in a short range and didn't move around much plus the F5 said it was at 6"...the deepest target I had all day.
Actually the deepest decent target I have had for a few weeks.
Had to go after it.
Hanging around the high 80's but up-averaging in my dirt is normal here and the deeper they are the higher the numbers go.
When this beautiful green coin came up I was kinda shocked...and very happy.
It was every bit of 6" deep, actually I swear it was closer to 7".
In this dirt this is deep, especially with such a decently stable signal this is pretty amazing.
There was only one other good target I can remember getting as stable as this at this depth and that was a bigger sterling Masonic coin with the F70 which was in some extremely rare nice black fill dirt...and that was a few years ago.
Just a 1920 worn green wheat but this is huge.

Good signals, stable and close to normal, deep but enough good behavior for me to recognize it in my weird and rotten dirt...that is what I was hoping for and why I got this thing and that Nel coil but I never thought it would work this well.

I am just thrilled, again this thing is hitting on all cylinders and we still have a ways to go before I become one with it.
Didn't think it would be so soon before it shocked me again but there you go.
That's Fisher for ya!

Attachments

• photostudio_1604095433816.jpg
    photostudio_1604095433816.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 81
  • photostudio_1604095352335.jpg
    photostudio_1604095352335.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 83
  • photostudio_1604095395787.jpg
    photostudio_1604095395787.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Digger27, another good day since you got out, learned more and found stuff. We've had some very cold nights, in the 17° to 27° range, but some unseasonable highs from 64° to 71°, and taking a bit of a dip this weekend. The ghost town we are headed for Sunday, likely our last ghost town trip of the year, was almost too weedy to hunt a month and a half ago but we're hoping to wander into a few open areas.

I have some other detectors and coils I need to put to work but I am going to grab the F5 w/7" Concentric coil to get started. So far it has been a good combination on the Test Scenarios that have been used for comparison purposes, and or fun I plan on working a dedicated area with a few models using 6½" and 7" Concentric coil.

Hopefully it will be a pleasant weather day, if the winds hold off, and I might get muck and chance upon a good keeper or two. It's a very well-hunted old town site that's been giving up very little the past year or so to several of us. I trust you can get out again and, maybe next time, sweep that coil over a silver coin or two.

Anyway, it's a fun detector to use so that, alone, will help make it a good day.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom