Possible Revolutionary War Era Military Button?

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Hey!

I know there are a lot of people on here with some vast knowledge. Can I get someone out here to:

1. Help me nail down an approximate date range for this button.
2. Confirm if this is military or not.
3. If this is military, can someone please tell me what country.
4. Possibly attribute the regiment or unit?

Here is what I can tell you about this button.

1. It is a dug relic, but I don't have the history of where it was dug at.
2. It was in a collection of military buttons, regiment pins and other military related items - all United States military - some dug, some not.
3. It measures 17mm across and the shank is missing.
4. Other than the 3, I cannot find any other marks or writing on the front or back.

This is not really my area of collecting. Any information that you can share with me is appreciated.

Thanks!
Doug

Attachments

• button front.jpg
    button front.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 640
  • button back.jpg
    button back.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 576
Button

Hey Doug, First let me say I know absolutely nothing about buttons. Lol I did buy a book a couple years back to try to identify a sash buckle I found. It's called "Insignia of Independence" by Don Troiani and James Kochan. Your button looked like one from the book. The closest match I found in the book is the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment of the American army in the Revolutionary War. Another close match is the 3rd Continental Regiment, however they list that button as 22mm in diameter. The 3rd New Hampshire Regiment is described as 17mm, that's what I think it is from the book. Again, I don't know anything about buttons but it looks like the picture. Lol. I will try to take a picture of the page in the book and post it on this thread tomorrow, but it takes me a while to do it....not good with computers. That way you can compare with the pic and captions. I'll try to post tomorrow.

I believe it's Brittish military. Maybe 1700's or early 1800's (war of 1812). But I'm not a military button expert. Just my thoughts with what I've seen on line. The number represents what company they where assigned to.

button

This is from that book. The top of the "3" on yours is at a little different angle than the pictures but as the pic shows, there were some variations. I think they are almost the same and the 17mm size might be a clue. Again, I know nothing about buttons. Hope this helps. Frank

Attachments

• P7050597.JPG
    P7050597.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 486
  • P7050595.JPG
    P7050595.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 505
  • P7050594.JPG
    P7050594.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 518
  • P7050596.JPG
    P7050596.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 497
Hey!

This is not really my area of collecting. Any information that you can share with me is appreciated.......

Thanks!
Doug

It would be easier to overlook the variation at the top of the "3" compared to the reference book (posted above) if you could find regiment buttons with the same domed/convex construction as yours. The New Hampshire regiment-specific hat and cuff sized buttons seem to have been flat. I'd call that two strikes against being a New Hampshire Regiment button. A lot of variation also doesn't seem likely given the relatively short time period of production.

Source of below photo is about 80% of the way down this webpage: https://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com/1775-1783-the-americancontinental-army/

Attachments

• Capture777777777.jpg
    Capture777777777.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the information so far. It is a domed button, not flat. I am thinking that British in origin is the direction I need to be going in my research. I cannot find this exact button yet, but I have found other British regiment buttons of the same size and style (with just a plain number) domed buttons.

button

This is as much as I can find. That looks like the shape of your button and construction. Two thirds of this book is devoted to the British. It even has Hession and French too. There are hundreds of pictures. I looked through them carefully and for the most part, the British buttons are much more ornate. Even the simple ones with numerals have an edge rim or are inside a concentric circle or two. It's hard to tell from pictures if it's flat or domed and they really don't show the backs. The closest match to your button is still 3rd New Hampshire. The size and front match but the construction doesn't. Another variation? I don't know any more than the pics in the book and that's about the best info I can find in this book pertaining to your button. Hopefully someone can add more info. Good luck!

Attachments

• P7050598.JPG
    P7050598.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 484
Thank you so much. I might have to look into picking up that book. I don't do much with buttons, but I do pick them up from time to time.

Long time no see turtlefoot. Was getting worried about you when you stopped posting and your site was down. Very nice find.

Long time no see turtlefoot. Was getting worried about you when you stopped posting and your site was down. Very nice find.

Hey! I appreciate the concern. A few health issues took it's toll on me, but I am finally back on fairly stable ground. I plan on reviving the Web site, but it will be a lot better and more professional in many ways. I still have been plugging away behind the scenes and still have a passion for shotshell heads and bullet casings.

Not being pewter and the shape of it leads me way away from Rev War

1850’s ? Give or take.

Wondered what happened to the head stamp database.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. I appreciate it. It really feels great to be back again.

Back
Top Bottom