Why do you need 50/100 tones?

I started out in 50 tones this evening and only lasted about 10 minutes. I just could not handle it with so much trash at the side by side house tear downs I was hunting. Started hunting about 5:30 and at about 7:30 I was about to give it up. We got a good rain today and I decided to hit the front steps and the one slab of sidewalk that was still there. Boom got a high tone 30-31, but only one way. The other way was reading like 15-18. Barber quarter on edge right against the slab. This was the forth or fifth time I have hit this site in the last two weeks and my 4th silver. This spot has been swung over by several people including me more than once.

Attachments

• 20200701_193743_resized_1.jpg
    20200701_193743_resized_1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 20200701_194245_resized_1.jpg
    20200701_194245_resized_1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200701_194531_resized.jpg
    20200701_194531_resized.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 236
Anything else in the hole to cause the low number cross sweep?

I did not pick up another target in the hole. I am assuming it was due to being on edge.

The slab of side walk is kind of deceiving. It was broken by the Trackhoe. So the side I found the coin on is the longer unbroken side. There is also grass growing over the up over edge on top of the walk where my hole is.

One thing that might have helped me find this quarter is that I could swing my coil at an angle instead of just flat. When I started hunting the wrecking crew was still on site and the sidewalk was still intact, with the only way to swing the sidewalk initially was with the coil flat. It was torn up after a few hunts, and I really don't remember how well I swung over it right after it was removed.

Why do you need 50/100 tones?

You don't. Learn your detector how you like it set up and go from there. I hunted in Delta Pitch with my 75 and 50 tone with the Nox and it didn't increase my finds. That stuff is way overrated.

I don't know if it is necessary, but I certainly would not want to give it up. So I guess its necessary for me because I like it and am used to it.

I hunt almost purely by tone, and like to dig as few targets as possible (I don't even dig clad or wheaties if I can help it unless I am sounding out a new site), and I think it helps in that regard, I dunno.

I don't really look at the numbers until after I've all ready decided if I am likely to dig. On the E-Trac, I mostly just use them to see how they bounce rather than what they are. This a good way to try to tell deep silver from deep iron junk if you run wide open (low discrimination).

Lots of different tones chirping at you also gives you a feel for the ground and the EMI. These are good to know, and you tinker your settings to try to improve things.

I dunno, it seems from an information theory point of view, you are getting more information. Whether it is useful or a distraction is up to personal taste, but I'd rather train my brain to filter the information rather than have the machine do it.

50 tones in field 2 is my favourite, it's audio is very accurate on low to mid conductors, It helps differentiate between coke, miss shaped foil and tiny lead vs small silver coins.
You can't do the same in 2 or 3 tone.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is necessary, but I certainly would not want to give it up. So I guess its necessary for me because I like it and am used to it.

I hunt almost purely by tone, and like to dig as few targets as possible (I don't even dig clad or wheaties if I can help it unless I am sounding out a new site), and I think it helps in that regard, I dunno.

I don't really look at the numbers until after I've all ready decided if I am likely to dig. On the E-Trac, I mostly just use them to see how they bounce rather than what they are. This a good way to try to tell deep silver from deep iron junk if you run wide open (low discrimination).

Lots of different tones chirping at you also gives you a feel for the ground and the EMI. These are good to know, and you tinker your settings to try to improve things.

I dunno, it seems from an information theory point of view, you are getting more information. Whether it is useful or a distraction is up to personal taste, but I'd rather train my brain to filter the information rather than have the machine do it.

For me, I don't need 45 more tones to tell me if something is junk. It's the same junk in 5 tones.

I like full tones ..music to my ears!

This is what I think makes a huge distinction between different people. Some people “can’t carry a tune in a basket”, some are “tone deaf”...but other people hear almost EVERYTHING as having SOME kind of musical quality to it. It’s how we are wired. Some people loved the sound of a CD when they came out in the 80’s, but other “audiophiles” could tell that the “completeness” of analog sound was missing in the recording...which it was. But most people can’t tell. It’s not that they don’t want to, it’s literally that they CANNOT. It’s a similar thing with detectors, with “full” tones or “50” tones the signal is simply communicated differently than in less tones. It’s the same response in a “different language”.

I have used 50 tones on the Equinox 800 with 40KHz for finding nickles, it separates the nickle from the beaver tail pulltab better than 5 tones and multi frequency. I use delta pitch on the F75 LTD tots of the time. For a lot of sounds try using the DFX with mixed mode along with tone ID 191 tones.

This is what I think makes a huge distinction between different people. Some people “can’t carry a tune in a basket”, some are “tone deaf”...but other people hear almost EVERYTHING as having SOME kind of musical quality to it. It’s how we are wired. Some people loved the sound of a CD when they came out in the 80’s, but other “audiophiles” could tell that the “completeness” of analog sound was missing in the recording...which it was. But most people can’t tell. It’s not that they don’t want to, it’s literally that they CANNOT. It’s a similar thing with detectors, with “full” tones or “50” tones the signal is simply communicated differently than in less tones. It’s the same response in a “different language”.

So are you saying someone with perfect pitch would get more out of 50 tones?

So are you saying someone with perfect pitch would get more out of 50 tones?

That would be a bridge too far. Someone with ALOT of experience on the machine in question, has good basic detecting skills and has been gifted the ability to notice slight pitch changes along with noticing how the signal ramps up and cuts off would get more out of more tones, IMO of course.

Thanks for the links TNSS! So, if the Equinox for instance, is made so that the visual target ID takes its cue from the audio ID, it seems like running in 50 tones would give a more accurate visual target ID. That has been my experience anyway. If I am using 5 tones, zinc pennies can give visual target IDs from 18 to 30 depending on corrosion. When I use 50 tones the same zinc pennies are 20-21. Jefferson nickels are 11,12, 13 and maybe 14 in 5 tones but are mostly just 13 in 50 tones.........

beachclad, glad you are hanging in there with the Equinox. It does get easier. 50 tones really does mean 50 different pitches for each individual target segment with -9 being the lowest and +40 being the highest. So your example of 14-17 would produce four different progressively higher pitches.

Jeff

Jeff,

I know you patiently tried to explain this to me once through PM. Thanks.

I figured initially that each of the 50 tones corresponds to each ID. Those are tones.

Now, what I don't understand is why certain low tone and high tone signals sound with a varied pitch based on the object. For instance, a large empty can is a quarter range (27-30) high-tone, but it sounds different, with more of a squeaky, helium induced pitch than a typical quarter. A large piece of foil sounds off with a loud, hollow, deep baritone tone vs. other low ID targets.

If this isn't my imagination, does this mean that within each of the 50 tones, there is a subset of pitches?

Back
Top Bottom