Father's Day hunt... coin spill or what?

Mikey48

Forum Supporter
I was able to get out late Sunday afternoon on a clad hunt, with hopes for some silver, at a 1940's school building site. The area that I focused on in front by the entrances was very sparse and I spent most of an hour with very few coins. The finds did not improve much until on the back side near an staff entrance I ran into an area about 15 feet by five feet wide between a sidewalk and the building wall that was full of targets. I had a five inch coil on the F75, and had difficulty pinpointing anything because of the number of signals being generated. As I began isolating them and doing recovery with my screwdriver, (in some very nice topsoil and lawn), coin after coin came out, along with some bottle caps, pull tabs and other junk, but mostly coins. Depth varied from just under the surface to about 4 inches down. No exciting discoveries were made except for the quantity of coins. I have no idea why so many coins would have been lost or left in an area this size. They do not appear to have been scattered at the same time as there were coins at different depths and with various states of corrosion. I did not get an accurate count of the number of coins in this small area, but the three hour hunt produced 71 coins and almost all came from this small patch.
Looking over all the grassy area at this site, the best hunting area was in the last place I would have thought I would find anything at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1691_edit2.800.jpg
    IMG_1691_edit2.800.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1692_coin spill hunt.800.jpg
    IMG_1692_coin spill hunt.800.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_1694_coin spin hunt.800.jpg
    IMG_1694_coin spin hunt.800.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 398
That's probably where smokers pulled their cigarettes out of their pockets and purses, and pulled coins out with them. Also, as staff came out to get in their cars, they pulled their keys out of their pockets and purses, and coins came out with them. It makes perfect sense to me. :yoda:

I was able to get out late Sunday afternoon on a clad hunt, with hopes for some silver, at a 1940's school building site. The area that I focused on in front by the entrances was very sparse and I spent most of an hour with very few coins. The finds did not improve much until on the back side near an staff entrance I ran into an area about 15 feet by five feet wide between a sidewalk and the building wall that was full of targets. I had a five inch coil on the F75, and had difficulty pinpointing anything because of the number of signals being generated. As I began isolating them and doing recovery with my screwdriver, (in some very nice topsoil and lawn), coin after coin came out, along with some bottle caps, pull tabs and other junk, but mostly coins. Depth varied from just under the surface to about 4 inches down. No exciting discoveries were made except for the quantity of coins. I have no idea why so many coins would have been lost or left in an area this size. They do not appear to have been scattered at the same time as there were coins at different depths and with various states of corrosion. I did not get an accurate count of the number of coins in this small area, but the three hour hunt produced 71 coins and almost all came from this small patch.
Looking over all the grassy area at this site, the best hunting area was in the last place I would have thought I would find anything at all.

My guess is that it's a logical area where kids sat and waited for parents or the bus. Those areas change, based on administrations and rules of where kids should wait, but they can concentrate change drops, just like this.

:)

Cheers!

The smoker's area makes sense. Never thought about that... never smoked.
Thanks for the insight Crackerjack. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the good hunt! Sometimes those places you least suspect can be jackpots because everyone else thought it wasn't worth the time to go over it.

The smoker's area makes sense. Never thought about that... never smoked.
Thanks for the insight Crackerjack. :thumbsup:

:blush: Awww! That wasn't anything! I'm nowhere near as good as I once was! Why, my sidekick Dr. Watson and I, we were regular detectives back in the day, and I was good back then, real good! There was this one fellow, a real scoundrel, Professor Moriarty...but, that's another story, for another time.

;)

Back
Top Bottom