Threw Rings in Woods

That is what I am afraid of... moving the brush, logs and weeds and possibly moving them without knowing, out of our search grid. On the other hand, if we don't, it's likely we will never find them. I really didn't look at the direction they were thrown, and not sure if they went a little to the left or right... we just have a general area. The man that looked today assured me that they couldn't have traveled more than maybe 40-50 feet... and I am hoping he is right, however I was standing on a deck that is elevated at least 12-14 feet off the ground and I threw them as hard as I could. Any idea how far something like that can travel. I know I've read that things end up way outside where people think they are.

Depends on how good your arm is...an athletic person could get 75-100 feet possibly from an elevated deck. Does the ground slope down from the deck? Do you have branches overhanging in the direction you threw them?

The rings when falling in the ground most probably will separate some
feet from one another. For doing a detector search,I would set my machine on
low sensitivity and middle/high (just under Pulltab) discrimination .
Perhaps in Autumn when leaves are falling is the best possibility to find them.
Good luck to you - May you find them soon.

Try walking toward the general area facing what sunshine there may be hitting that general area. You could possibly get the glare off of one or more of the rings unless all of them sank under the foliage.

go back on the deck and throw something similar in similar direction....

In the future, don't ever take you wedding ring off unless you are DONE...y'all took vows.

+2
go back on the deck and throw something similar in similar direction.....
Just an idea but once you get someone to detect. Try painting some rocks orange and throw them off the deck just to see how far they may land. Try a flash light at night to see if any thing shiny is on the ground. once you find one the others should be close by. Good Luck.

go back on the deck and throw something similar in similar direction....

In the future, don't ever take you wedding ring off unless you are DONE...y'all took vows.
she doesnt need scolded at this time. She feels bad enough as it is. Not the first lady to have a fit and toss her rings.

Thanks everyone. Yes, the slope goes gradually down. We have been throwing dimes and nickels just to see how far they go and where they land and we find them every time, pretty easily. I'll see if I can't post a picture of the terrain from my cell phone.

Thanks everyone. Yes, the slope goes gradually down. We have been throwing dimes and nickels just to see how far they go and where they land and we find them every time, pretty easily. I'll see if I can't post a picture of the terrain from my cell phone.

If I come and look, can I keep the spare change? Lol. You will discover them eventually.

If I come and look, can I keep the spare change? Lol. You will discover them eventually.

Yes... I'll throw in some gold dollars if that will be incentive. haha.

I have faith they will be found, it will just be a process. A new hobby, of sorts.

To reply to the "I shouldn't have done that..." I realize that. It was immature and childish and completely out of character for something I'd normally do, but I did it.

Doesn't look like too hard of an area to detect. A good detectorist w/a good machine, should be able to find them. Good luck....:yes:

Well , if the guys you have dont find them , go get yourself a detector , and join the hobby with us , then you'll have a goal to start out with , finding your own rings . If this is your decision , then , let me be the 1st to welcome you to the hobby . :lol: . As how far they would go ,dont forget you'll probably get a little more distance when you're mad and throwing for a reason . Either way , you know they're there , keep looking , they'll pop up . Good luck .

We have a husband and wife team there detecting today. I just received a phone call from my husband that one of the three have been found. Maybe back about 75-100 feet. Haven't measured yet. But they did find one! The smaller band.

iF someone is willing to attempt this and if they do or do not find anything I hope you will have the good graces to reward them for their time and effort. The environment you describe is physically tough to work in. They will have time and expenses involved in traveling to you and of course their initial investment of equipment which is not cheap and hours invested in learning how to use their equipment.

Any decent detectorist will not charge you to look but that doesn't mean gratuities are unwelcome. They may still refuse to accept cash but a tankful of gas or a nice dinner at a decent dinner for them AND spouse is a nice gesture.

Many of us have spent hours in often fruitless efforts to find someone else's property with nary a thank you or acknowledgement. We all have names for those people. I won't share my personal favorite but you may be able to guess pretty closely.

Back
Top Bottom