The worst possible ending...Otto Warmbier dies.

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
http://abcnews.go.com/US/otto-warmbier-american-student-detained-north-korea-17/story?id=48140700

Otto Warmbier dies.
A young person that did the wrong thing in the worst possible place he could have done it.
A relatively innocent act in most parts of the world, in this place it was his death sentence.

It has already been proved that what the N. Koreans said happened to him never happened, but who knows what nightmare he was actually living for these last several months.

A shame.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/otto-warmbier-american-student-detained-north-korea-17/story?id=48140700

Otto Warmbier dies.
A young person that did the wrong thing in the worst possible place he could have done it.
A relatively innocent act in most parts of the world, in this place it was his death sentence.

It has already been proved that what the N. Koreans said happened to him never happened, but who knows what nightmare he was actually living for these last several months.

A shame.

Don't have much sympathy for any outsider visiting North Korea. The place is a less than Third World !!!! hole (with nukes) with an all powerful police state. Is that really the kind of place anyone, other than a spy, should be spending time?

Don't have much sympathy for any outsider visiting North Korea. The place is a less than Third World !!!! hole (with nukes) with an all powerful police state. Is that really the kind of place anyone, other than a spy, should be spending time?

I started a whole thread about this awhile ago.
I don't care if there are tours even considering going near an insane country like this is just...crazy.
This is why.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=228678

Poor dumb kid, what a waste. And yes, why on earth would anyone even consider N. Korea a vacation destination? :?: That just seems insane to me.

Otto's father said that Chinese tour groups target US college students, making them think that North Korean tours by US college students are routine and safe. They lure them in, then NK arrests some for their own purposes (cruelty, barter with the US, possible Manchurian candidate, etc.). Our kids are naive, they didn't grow up during the Cold War/Korean War era, and since Communist China has most favored nation status, http://tech.mit.edu/V114/N27/china.27w.html and we use Russia to launch our astronauts, they don't suspect anything nefarious from a communist country. I don't mean to get political, but it is well known that our universities are left-leaning, and IMO support the belief that communist countries are benign. We need to wake up our kids.

Otto's father said that Chinese tour groups target US college students, making them think that North Korean tours by US college students are routine and safe. They lure them in, then NK arrests some for their own purposes (cruelty, barter with the US, possible Manchurian candidate, etc.). Our kids are naive, they didn't grow up during the Cold War/Korean War era, and since Communist China has most favored nation status, http://tech.mit.edu/V114/N27/china.27w.html and we use Russia to launch our astronauts, they don't suspect anything nefarious from a communist country. I don't mean to get political, but it is well known that our universities are left-leaning, and IMO support the belief that communist countries are benign. We need to wake up our kids.

At this point I have to say where were the parents when this kid told them he was taking a tour to N. Korea?
Any parent with common sense should have shut this down fast but they let him go.

There is a girl that lived near me in a city close by that you might remember was in the news a lot in 2005...Natalee Holloway.
The senior graduation trip from her high school went to Aruba that year and all her classmates came back...except her.
To this day they never found out what happened to her or ever found her body if she was murdered by Joran van der Sloot...which is exactly what most presumed happened.
He is in jail now for murdering another girl a few years later so...
This was a foreign country and his father was rich and well connected so there was little chance justice was ever going to be served in this case.
This was a teenager and her parents thought it was just fine to let her go on this trip to another country.
They figured it would be ok, there were teachers on this trip that were acting as chaperones.

After this happened I had a customer come into my store and she was the mother of another girl in that same class that begged her mom to go on this same trip.
It would be safe, she kept arguing, those chaperones would be there taking care of things after all.
This mom was having none of that, she called the school, the teachers that were going on the trip and anyone else she could find to get more information before she would ever let this kid travel to another country without her.
She found out those chaperones were a joke...the only thing they were responsible for was getting the kids off the plane when they arrived and checking them into their rooms and then gathering them all back up at the hotel to make sure they got on the bus to go back to the airport when they left.
During the entire time there those kids were all basically on their own and could do what they wanted, go where they wanted and get into as much trouble as they wanted to...those teachers really didn't care.
This mother's girl ended up staying home.

That's how you do the parenting thing, due diligence and take nothing for granted.
Kids are still kids and many just have no common sense so the parent must.

Natalee Holloway's mother had her life destroyed because she had none, Warmbier's parents didn't seem to have much more than she did so now they have a lifetime to regret it.

Last edited:
The only thing that needs to visit little a-hole is on the tip of a missile. This is pure Murder. I hope we have a message to send. It's only going to get worse, it's not going to get any better unless little boy is taken out. Just read about what happened in Seoul in 1950. His grandfather, Kim ill sung was a low end guerrilla fighter who became leader due to his fighting the Japanese and the other resistance fighters not acceptable to Soviets. We are technically still at war with this backward country. It's been genocide for over 60 years. The axis of evil -

At this point I have to say where were the parents when this kid told them he was taking a tour to N. Korea?
Any parent with common sense should have shut this down fast but they let him go.

There is a girl that lived near me in a city close by that you might remember was in the news a lot in 2005...Natalee Holloway.
The senior graduation trip from her high school went to Aruba that year and all her classmates came back...except her.
To this day they never found out what happened to her or ever found her body if she was murdered by Joran van der Sloot...which is exactly what most presumed happened.
He is in jail now for murdering another girl a few years later so...
This was a foreign country and his father was rich and well connected so there was little chance justice was ever going to be served in this case.
This was a teenager and her parents thought it was just fine to let her go on this trip to another country.
They figured it with our be ok, there were teachers on this trip that were acting as chaperones.

After this happened I had a customer come into my store and she was the mother of another girl in that same class that begged her mom to go on this same trip.
It would be safe, she kept arguing, those chaperones would be there taking care of things after all.
This mom was having none of that, she called the school, the teachers that were going on the trip and anyone else she could find to get more information before she would ever let this kid travel to another country without her.
She found out those chaperones were a joke...the only thing they were responsible for was getting the kids off the plane when they arrived and checking them into their rooms and then gathering them all back up at the hotel to make sure they got on the bus to go back to the airport when they left.
During the entire time there those kids were all basically on their own and could do what they wanted, go where they wanted and get into as much trouble as they wanted to...those teachers really didn't care.
This mother's girl ended up staying home.

That's how you do the parenting thing, due diligence and take nothing for granted.
Kids are still kids and many just have no common sense so the parent must.

Natalie Holloway's mother had her life destroyed because she had none, Warmbier's parents didn't seem to have much more than she did so now they have a lifetime to regret it.

:agreed::goodpost::thumbsup:

Stupid move on his part for traveling there.

His fault, not some Chinese tourist company...

Moral of the story - Don't travel to North Korea then place the blame on others for the outcome.

I have never had any desire to venture anywhere outside of the mainland borders of the U.S. I went to Vietnam but I had the whole U.S. Army backing me up and even then it wasn't safe.

The owner of the travel company is British, his tour is based in China and seems to be a raging alcoholic.
His tours are all about drinking and partying all the time...even in this country.
Several times he almost got everyone in trouble because he gets so drunk on these things and passes out instead of taking care of business like being awake to bribe people which seems to be part of the way you have to do business there.
His employees seem to be pretty stupid too.
On one tour one of them decided to prank a couple on another N. Korean trip and he stole and hid their traveling papers and ID's.
He thought it was pretty funny when the authorities came up to the group and started checking everyone and these people went insane because they couldn't find theirs and the authorities noticed.
Real funny, I would have killed the guy shortly after but I probably would not have gotten the chance because being American they probably would have dragged me off instantly before I could.
They don't need much excuse to treat Americans differently and more harshly than other foreign nationals.

Going to this country was stupid, doing it with a tour company like this even more so.

At the end of the day, he's an adult that took his life in his hands by entering North Korea. From what I understand he destroyed a propaganda poster while he was there? Tried to steal one?

Otto took a risk and he lost. It's a pity no one could bring him home sooner, but I don't like the idea of NK using American prisoners as bargaining chips.

At the end of the day, he's an adult that took his life in his hands by entering North Korea. From what I understand he destroyed a propaganda poster while he was there? Tried to steal one?

Otto took a risk and he lost. It's a pity no one could bring him home sooner, but I don't like the idea of NK using American prisoners as bargaining chips.

A friend of the family promised to give $10,000 toward a purchase of a car if he smuggled a political poster back to the states.
Hope that person understands his role in all of this.

Heck, if Otto had just politely asked the North Koreans for a propaganda poster to take back to the States, they likely would have given it to him, with "Dear Leader's" blessings. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom