Fisrt time purchase. Decide between

Keliasz

Never owned a MD before. And I've narrowed down my choices to the Garret AT Pro and the Teknetics Patriot. I can't decide if waterproofing on the AT is worth the extra $150. Also is the coil on the patriot waterproof? I know the main unit is not.

I would spend the extra on the Pro, few things you can consider, if you love the hobby and want to go bigger the Pro is an easy resell unit and does not loose much value.

But if you decide on the pro, wait a bit and get the Max instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On paper the Teknetics patriot looks to be the better unit performance wise. Aside from being waterproof why is everyone on the AT Pro band wagon? What is the big benefit of the ATpro vs the Patriot. And at the projected price point the Max is not do able for me. Im asking because i have never used or owned a metal detector before and id like to buy one that im not going to want to upgrade for a while or at all if i dont have to.

On paper the Teknetics patriot looks to be the better unit performance wise. Aside from being waterproof why is everyone on the AT Pro band wagon? What is the big benefit of the ATpro vs the Patriot. And at the projected price point the Max is not do able for me. Im asking because i have never used or owned a metal detector before and id like to buy one that im not going to want to upgrade for a while or at all if i dont have to.

Research the three main types of metal detectors. There is single frequency VLF, multi-frequency VLF and PI. Both the patriot and ATP/ATMaxx are single frequency machines.

Next, slap the same size coils on each machine and compare them. With equal settings in a seeded test area, you'll see only marginal differences, e.g., differences so minimal its not worth saying one is better than the other.

Compare either machine to a multi-frequency detector and then yes, you will see noticeable differences if you hunt in highly mineralized ground or conductive salt water. If you are in-land, hunting in mostly stable soils (tot-lots, parks, and fields) then the single frequency should be fine.

Since you narrowed down the two detectors, ask yourself if you are ever going to hunt creeks, streams, lakes, or hunt in areas with high humidity or possibility of rain. The Patriot's electronics are subject to failure if exposed to water or substantial humidity where the ATP can be used rain or shine and up to 10 feet submerged. Ask anyone that ever dropped a detector in water and they'll tell you fast-as-lightning to spend the extra on the waterproof model.

I just got my first ever detector less than a year ago and got a Fisher F70 which is the same as the patriot. I love it, simple to use, light weight, lots of settings to fool with once you get accustomed to it. Never used an ATpro so can't comment on it. Which ever one you get, if you give it chance, you'll find stuff.

I have used a half dozen detectors since the 80s....Whites 6000 series, Teknetics 8500, Minelab Sovereign, Toltec 100, Treasure Baron etc.

For me the Teknetics 8500 was the best out of the bunch..... wish I still had that detector. I found several Walking Liberty half dollars 9-10 inches down with that unit. Todays detectors go just a little deeper and work around iron to find coins better but that George Payne unit was ahead of it's time.

Considering this unit the Detech Chaser
http://www.detechusa.com/product/detech-chaser-vlf-metal-detector/

or might just wait for the new Fishers detectors to replace my Treasure Baron.

Hey...My very FIRST rig 7yrs ago was an F70 (Patriot)...Yeah...its a money maker like the video Dsm Mech posted..(Excellent)..I also have an AtPro (5yrs)...and yes, All I use it for is hunting for Gold in the water...and for that purpose it is absolutely a MUST have!

I used the F70 hunting in the water up to the brainbox prior to getting the Pro, and I found gold with it, but knew I'd be drowning my rig sooner or later...to answer your question, YES...the Patriot coil is waterproof, and you can safely employ it in the water up to the brainbox or thereabouts...

It depends on where you hunt and what you like to hunt for...I've used my F70 all over this Country in all weather, all seasons, and its never once let me down or failed to perform....Likewise, the Pro has delivered similarly...

The Patriot is certainly more ergonomic, way more tones available and settings make it a surgical tool...batts last forever...it slings off money on the daily...The Pro is a workhorse and indeed hits gold like a train, just not as sensitive on the settings like the 70...

On the dirt, I use the 70, in the water I use the Pro...FWIW..both have paid themselves off handsomely and continue to do it yearly....I will always have a pair of these rigs...I suppose bottom line? If you are not in the water, Get the Patriot...It will teach you everything you need to know about metal and conditions...

If you are hunting the Water, get the Pro, and a scoop, and a wetsuit, and waders...for North of $1000 all in..

Or, get the Patriot, a screwdriver, a nail apron for a grand total of $402 and go find money on the dirt!!:laughing:

On those foreign detectors Rutus Alter 71, Detech Chaser, Deep Tech units, they might possibly give more depth on coins from all the videos I've watched on You tube.....but that is only part of the game. Accurate pin pointing, frequency, tone & audio options, ergonomics, battery life, warranty and ease of sending units back for firmware updates all factor into the equation.

If one develops issues with the foreign detectors have to send detector back to Bulgaria, Poland etc. and the people your dealing with may not be easy to deal with in another language. However those detectors and some of their features do look interesting.

If buying now I'd probably opt for the Patriot but will probably wait since the new detectors are due out soon. That is probably why there is a push to move those F75 units as I get lots of emails from dealers wanting to sell.

Also is anyone using the Detech coils on their Fisher 70-75 units? Just curious as to how well they are working for people. Detech seems to be more popular in Australia than the States.

I can't decide if waterproofing on the AT is worth the extra $150.

If you will ever hunt in or near water then yes it absolutely is. Even if you are hunting on the water edge, waterproofing is way worth it. Too many machines ruined from people falling down or dropping their machine near the water. One dunk is all it takes to fry it.

As far as the wet suits and waders ive got all those, been fishing and scuba diving for years. I originally wanted a CZ21 for diving but then i had kids, and now all my dive gear sits in a closet. Anyone have a need for some lightly used scuba tanks or regulators? Anyway, getting time now as kids are getting bigger and id like to start hunting as its easier to do so than going out diving. its a hobby ive always wanted to do.

I don't know anything about the Patriot but I do own 9 detectors and 3 of them are ATPs. ( 2 have the 5x8 coil and stock on third). I hunt 4-5 times a week and use the ATPs with the 5x8 95% of the time. Good solid machines. In fact I was recently at a shootout with about 250 detectorists there. Easily 80% of them had ATPs.

AT-Pro Great Detector

Never owned a MD before. And I've narrowed down my choices to the Garret AT Pro and the Teknetics Patriot. I can't decide if waterproofing on the AT is worth the extra $150. Also is the coil on the patriot waterproof? I know the main unit is not.

Go with the top selling Detector
Garrett AT-Pro
call for a great price
dennis

Was great talking with you, sent a pm and email, :)

Re

The patriot is a better detector on land and also for the same money as the at pro you can get a fisher f75 which is a lot more detector for the money

OK so got a great on the AT Pro and bought that. Tried it out for five minutes in my back yard and found a quarter a dime and a washer. so far so good..

Different strokes for different folks. I'm partial to the George Payne units......Fisher, Teknetics probably have Payne DNA running through them even though he left the industry.

I'm trying to hold out til next spring or until Fisher puts their new machines on the market.....detector-less til then. Red Racer II machines don't look too bad either....but will stick with Fisher unless something out there blows it out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom