Have you ever returned a wedding ring? How did you find the owner?

No nuggets

What method do you use to return wedding rings? I think that it would be good to have a thread that contains methods that have been successfull in returning wedding rings to the original owner.

It also would be good for those of you who have returned class rings, or other rings, to let us know how you accomplished it.

Last edited:
just send the ring to me and I will take care of it :D

What method do you use to return wedding rings?

I walk down the street and look for a sad looking fellow sitting on his front stoop crying his eyes out. I ask what his complaint is, if he says he lost his wedding ring, I give the one I found to him. If he gives me some other mumbo jumbo I keep the ring and keep on going. I have never really returned a ring. This is not to say I wouldn't but I was never presented with the opportunity. I once had the opportunity to shoot a wild turkey but I missed. I felt so bad I went home and drank some Wild Turkey.

I hope this post will be of some help to you. Happy hunting.

If there is a date inside the band, and/or initials, you could start at a local courthouse records and look to see if there were any weddings on that day. Most newspapers publish the wedding info, but I don't know if they would have searchable records.

If there is a date inside the band, and/or initials, you could start at a local courthouse records and look to see if there were any weddings on that day. Most newspapers publish the wedding info, but I don't know if they would have searchable records.

Excellent idea. I would think that someone would have something sentimental engraved on the ring, but a date and/or initials are a definate possibility that could be used to find the owner. Thank you Mick56!

I have returned 2. One, my wife called me from the beach saying a guy was looking for his wedding ring and he was very upset. I came out and found it

THe other was a womans father ring she was given, she told me she lost it and a few days later I found it, she posted her info at lost stuff and mailed it back.

Usually there is no way to know

as the green berets and the marines say "keep 'em all, let ARA sort 'em out"

Only found one I had a chance of returning as it has the couples first names & wedding date on it. Found a match through the county's marriage records VIA an email to the county.

The few others I have found had nothing on them so no way of returning.

I would think reporting the ring to the police dept and or parks dept might work. If I lost a ring, I would report it lost to one or both.

I would think reporting the ring to the police dept and or parks dept might work. If I lost a ring, I would report it lost to one or both.

I have my doubt that park or police officials would return wring, especially if it was in the thousands of dollars range.

Yes, I have

I've returned two, and helped in the return of another.
Two of mine were owners contacting me and soliciting my assistance, so it was easy to know who the true owner was :p

The other contained the first initial and last name, and a date inside inside the band. I was able to find the name in the phone book (luckily there was only one withe that first initial and last name) and to call them and inquire whether they had lost a valuable item in the past few years. Turned out he described the ring exactly, including the date and where he lost it five years previous.

I still have quite a few though that I never wasn't able to identify or find visual markings to help me identify them.

My rule of thumb is that if it's recent (on top of the grass, fairly high in beach sand), I will check out the Lost and Found sections of Craigslist or local newpapers, and try to find someone advertising their lost item. I also use the forum for Lost items as well and get updates on recently lost possessions.

Thanks, Stephen

But wouldn't the ARA pay attention to name engravings and look at police reports and stuff.

no, ARA is a refinery not a ring return business.........and if they would it nothing that my dremel can't take care of :lol:

Do you really mean return ring?

Return a wedding ring? You must be joking! If I lost a ring, I would want at least a CHANCE of a return. With that being said, I would not be posting it on any lost and founds as the leeches that are out there taking advantage of people will do just that. You know the ones I'm talking about. Got to search all the lost and founds, get out there before any body else and get it. Tough luck buddy. What a sob story. Finders Keepers. Sell it fast. We've heard it all. It certainly leaves a bad impression for me, probably doesn't bother you one bit. I reckon you don't have to look to far find dishonesty, no morals, ethics or values. My condolences to those of that type, some of them are here. Fortunately, you will not win. There are too many detectorists who may silently sit by but do the right thing. They sincerely want to help people not harm them. Those people don't have to make you look bad as you do a pretty good job of it by yourself.

Return a wedding ring? You must be joking! If I lost a ring, I would want at least a CHANCE of a return. With that being said, I would not be posting it on any lost and founds as the leeches that are out there taking advantage of people will do just that. You know the ones I'm talking about. Got to search all the lost and founds, get out there before any body else and get it. Tough luck buddy. What a sob story. Finders Keepers. Sell it fast. We've heard it all. It certainly leaves a bad impression for me, probably doesn't bother you one bit. I reckon you don't have to look to far find dishonesty, no morals, ethics or values. My condolences to those of that type, some of them are here. Fortunately, you will not win. There are too many detectorists who may silently sit by but do the right thing. They sincerely want to help people not harm them. Those people don't have to make you look bad as you do a pretty good job of it by yourself.

Although there are always bad apples, many people are still honest and willing to help. You may want to rethink how you word things. Your words come accross fairly offensively and Im guessing you have never spoken to the OP.

I am not sure if what I am going to say was mention because its 1:30 am and cant read right now lol, but I always look in the band first to look for names, initials or dates, then if its in a public places I would take a quick look for "lost" posters and then I will look on craigslist. I never actually located a owner tho, bit if I did I would SURLY make sure I quiz them very well on description before forkin' it over. but man it would sure feel great reuniting a woman with her wedding ring, would be awesome!

HH,
-Rich

Sent from my Galaxy Tablet

Back
Top Bottom