Selling off 40%ers -- BEWARE!

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
Hey gang, long time, no type! Good to see many of the irregulars are still here and kicking :) Tip o' the hat and a bow to our Sovereign King Totsalot!

As many of you are probably aware, the price of silver has been a roller coaster lately. I'm still kicking myself for not being prepared to pounce when the price dropped to $12-13/oz in mid-March.

This weekend/today it's as high as I've ever seen during my CRH years $28-29/oz. Wow!

When I saw that price I decided it was time to part with some of my precious hoards of silver. It's hard letting go, but the intent was to make a profit as much as it was to hoard it.

Friday I called around local dealers to sell off some 40% HALVES-- and NO ONE WANTED TO PAY anything near spot/melt. Some didn't want them at all. Most buyers want at least 90%, so little demand locally. I did find a place in the big city of St. Louis, MO that paid ~85% of melt value, I considered myself lucky, and made the drive over the weekend to cash in.

Local dealers were competitive on 90%ers, so I've held those for now, as we may or may not be at the end of this silver price run. Who freaking knows?

So words to the wise -- 40%ers aren't as valuable as you may think -- and may be difficult to unload quickly!

Historical note -- I started CRHing in spring 2014 and stopped -- I think it was fall 2019. My source bank changed managers and the new b!atch in charge cut me off. I didn't take time to find a new source so I've been idle since then. So just over 5 years of hunting -- during which I accumulated over $1200 face in 40%ers. This is a good hobby! :)

With the current "coin shortage" I'm guessing it's too soon to try to start up again -- is anyone able to get boxes of halves right now?

HH

Wow $1200 face in 40%!
I sold some @ $35 silver 3 rolls at 75% spot on Craigslist. Took a month.
Don’t feel bad.
40% are dirty and even the Hunts didn’t want them.

Hey gang, long time, no type! Good to see many of the irregulars are still here and kicking :) Tip o' the hat and a bow to our Sovereign King Totsalot!

As many of you are probably aware, the price of silver has been a roller coaster lately. I'm still kicking myself for not being prepared to pounce when the price dropped to $12-13/oz in mid-March.

This weekend/today it's as high as I've ever seen during my CRH years $28-29/oz. Wow!

When I saw that price I decided it was time to part with some of my precious hoards of silver. It's hard letting go, but the intent was to make a profit as much as it was to hoard it.

Friday I called around local dealers to sell off some 40% HALVES-- and NO ONE WANTED TO PAY anything near spot/melt. Some didn't want them at all. Most buyers want at least 90%, so little demand locally. I did find a place in the big city of St. Louis, MO that paid ~85% of melt value, I considered myself lucky, and made the drive over the weekend to cash in.

Local dealers were competitive on 90%ers, so I've held those for now, as we may or may not be at the end of this silver price run. Who freaking knows?

So words to the wise -- 40%ers aren't as valuable as you may think -- and may be difficult to unload quickly!

Historical note -- I started CRHing in spring 2014 and stopped -- I think it was fall 2019. My source bank changed managers and the new b!atch in charge cut me off. I didn't take time to find a new source so I've been idle since then. So just over 5 years of hunting -- during which I accumulated over $1200 face in 40%ers. This is a good hobby!

With the current "coin shortage" I'm guessing it's too soon to try to start up again -- is anyone able to get boxes of halves right now?

HH
$12-$13 silver in March. Premiums were crazy! Don’t worry about it, :lol: pipe dream! I’d say hold on to the 40%, unless you need the paper real bad! You’ll be glad you did!

Yeah, I didn't want to mess with Craigslist, and looking at Ebay selling prices vs. selling fees and potential headaches with multiple buyers, the not-so-local dealer route seemed like the best option while the price was relatively high.

Yeah, back in March I either would have looked for hands-on silver or more likely "paper" silver. I don't know how low either really got.

Too late, the 40% is gone. So look into your crystal ball and tell me what future date I should have sold it and how much it would sell at, please, I still have the 90%!

Yeah, I didn't want to mess with Craigslist, and looking at Ebay selling prices vs. selling fees and potential headaches with multiple buyers, the not-so-local dealer route seemed like the best option while the price was relatively high.

Yeah, back in March I either would have looked for hands-on silver or more likely "paper" silver. I don't know how low either really got.

Too late, the 40% is gone. So look into your crystal ball and tell me what future date I should have sold it and how much it would sell at, please, I still have the 90%!
Personally, I’d hold unless you need the paper real bad. I believe economic issues and national debt are accelerating much faster than what I’d thought, which might drive the value of those coins much higher.

Hey gang, long time, no type! Good to see many of the irregulars are still here and kicking :) Tip o' the hat and a bow to our Sovereign King Totsalot.

HH

Many Royal Thanks for that kindness, TorqueMaster! KT's CRH efforts are presently on hold due to the inaccessability of the dump machines in the local realm, but patience is virtue, so KT hopes to out last the effects of this virus on our local banks!

Back
Top Bottom