A new hobby while at the Castle....time is passed, see new thread

All are very good, and depending on the environment to be used it is hard to decide. However, to vote one way or another, it would have to be the top/first ammo box with the handle in the up position.

All are very good, and depending on the environment to be used it is hard to decide. However, to vote one way or another, it would have to be the top/first ammo box with the handle in the up position.

Thanks for your comment, JAK!

Ah ha. That's the Royal Mistake that came out looking well! Those two mound looking spots started off as a snakeskin pattern that wound up looking like our local fire ant mounds! Ha ha. That background pattern was made only using pine needles as the spray through pattern, with several different back ground colors to begin with. Not a very difficult pattern at all to do, if the mounds are left out! Of course, those mounds give the pattern some natural break up.

Any others out there in the Forum have other thoughts? :?::?:

My personal favorite pattern is Tiger Stripe. Your H&R is the closest that you've done so far.

Royal Thanks for your vote, Longhair. KT has to admit that is one of His Majesty's favorites also. :yes::yes: And except for those mounds on that first ammo can is very close to that pattern also. Both saw use of pine needle brushes as pattern makers. The H&R started with a base color of khaki or sand, and then was worked from lighter to darker. The ammo can started out od green and was worked both lighter and darker with pine needle brushes around those mound forms.

Tiger Stripe pattern on clothing generally runs horizontal, in other words at right angle to the length of the persons body. The "grass stripe" as I call it generally does the same thing to the length of the long gun. TS also has a more generic pattern vs. grass stripe which simulates grass patterns. KT thinks grass stripe would be good for both turkey and duck hunting, more greenish for turkey and more tan/khaki for duck hunting, to simulate the local environment. Unfortunately, most folks cannot afford a different gun for everything they hunt, so a generic blend may work best.

When KT starts this next gun, He will start a new thread in here and document its progress so forum members can see it take place.

:laughing::laughing: Thanks for the compliment, JAK! Did you have a favorite pattern of those pictured? His Majesty is trying to decide what pattern(s) to use on this next shotgun.....Maybe KT needs to let youall decide what you would like to see...realizing He does not do RealTree, but could do something close to it that has both grass, twigs, and leaf patterns in it. Could do something with some random snakeskin diamond patterns also.

So....what's everyone's pleasure??

.....hey KT, some detectorists who like to hunt in areas where "Lookie Lous" complain (even though they are doing nothing wrong) might appreciate a camo outfit to make detectorists invisible to "Lookie Lous" :laughing:

(thankfully the only time I had someone call about me detecting was on a private field, and the person who gave me permission told them it was okay, he is "treasure hunting" :laughing:)

Patiently waiting.....

KT is patiently waiting for the ATF to clear His Majesty for the acquisition of the 20 gauge for this next camo painting. For years, whenever KT purchased a firearm, either long gun or hand gun, the approval was essentially instantaneous, but in the past 12 monthes, a purchase requires up to a several day wait to pick up the gun. The one exception was a .380 hand gun for Prince John, but he had to fill out the federal paperwork, not KT. It was a Christmas present so KT paid for it. The last 3 long guns, KT was told to wait, but then the seller called His Majesty the next morning to say KT was approved. This last one, if He gets no call, He can still go pick it up on Thursday, the 15th. That's when the end of the suggestions happens. Presently, from the few suggestions KT is thinking a leafy pattern for the upper 1/2 to 2/3rds of the gun stock and some grassy look to the lower half to 1/3rd of the stock. Blending from grass to veggies, bottom to top. The barrel would be a grass pattern since the size is too small for two patterns.

Anyone got any other thoughts? KT has seen some interesting patterns made with hemp twine wrapping, and am thinking about that as an option also.

Last edited:
No additional opinions??

Next day or so is your last chance to give KT any comments. After lunch today, KT ran the Royal Chariot by the pawnshop. He had a sneaking feeling that His Majesty had been approved, but the pawnshop operator was too swamped to call, and true to form, that was it. KT suspects He was approved on Saturday and did not get called. Anyway, KT got the Hatfield 20 gauge single shot, sold everywhere 4 years ago for the huge sum of $99 plus tax....but now that this gun is no longer available, and the price of all guns has gone through the roof, KT paid $120 plus tax. The gun is in fine operational condition and has very few dings on the stock's finish. This gun has a 28" barrel and is a breakover. Many of these have had the barrel cut to ~ 20 inches, making it fit easily in a tennis racket bag, or backpack. However, cutting the barrel lessens the accuracy and opens the spread of both buckshot and any birdshot. The Pardner was already cut when KT purchased it, so this gun will retain a longer barrel.

KT will wait until this Wednesday to close out the Forum members opinion poll for the style camo this gun will have. Get your comments in! :lol::lol:

KT has ordered an orange fiber sight and a stock 5 shell elastic sleeve for this 20 gauge. Painting does not hinge on their arrival before hand. Will go out tomorrow morning and gather fresh materials from the property for stencils and templates for the camo project.

Last edited:
Wow, His Highness has been a busy camo paintin' fool! :) Very industrious and functional to boot.

I'm a big fan of "tigerstripe" but never seem to see it much, so that one caught my eye for sure. The others that I really like are the pump shotgun -- great colors and very subdued overall, except the big leaf on the stock which really gives it a great overall look. Also really like the pattern on the Ammo can with the "ant hills" except I'd lose the ant hills or make them...less somehow. And the "cattail" pattern on the cup or mug is really cool, too. Great job, KT! Be careful now you don't lose your lunch!

Wow, His Highness has been a busy camo paintin' fool! :) Very industrious and functional to boot.

I'm a big fan of "tigerstripe" but never seem to see it much, so that one caught my eye for sure. The others that I really like are the pump shotgun -- great colors and very subdued overall, except the big leaf on the stock which really gives it a great overall look. Also really like the pattern on the Ammo can with the "ant hills" except I'd lose the ant hills or make them...less somehow. And the "cattail" pattern on the cup or mug is really cool, too. Great job, KT! Be careful now you don't lose your lunch!

:laughing::laughing: Yep, His Highness got bored with all this "virus" isolation!

Thanks for your input, TorqueMaster! KT thinks you will find some of all these elements in this next effort! Close ups to come when it is finished later today!

KT has been scouring the local pawnshops for bargain priced long guns. As you can tell, KT has been having some luck spending His Royal Social Security money! :lol::lol:

That's AMAZING talent you possess, Your Highness! :wow2:

:laughing::laughing: His Majesty acknowledges your very kind opinion GLASSHOPPER, but must beg off from having a lot of talent....it is more technique than talent....now KT does have an active mind and a very observant eye. KT certainly hopes you will visit the other thread on this topic to see the explanation and the completed project. Pictures will be posted by Monday, the 19th, late afternoon.

Many of these have had the barrel cut to ~ 20 inches, making it fit easily in a tennis racket bag, or backpack. However, cutting the barrel lessens the accuracy and opens the spread of both buckshot and any birdshot.

I fell in love with riot guns in Vietnam. I have had several since and living on a farm they got plenty of use. I found that 20" is my preferred length. my current survival gun is an H&R single shot 12 gauge. They don't spread out as fast as you think. It is an all round weapon and I have used it for everything. if I could only keep one of my firearms it would be the one.

I fell in love with riot guns in Vietnam. I have had several since and living on a farm they got plenty of use. I found that 20" is my preferred length. my current survival gun is an H&R single shot 12 gauge. They don't spread out as fast as you think. It is an all round weapon and I have used it for everything. if I could only keep one of my firearms it would be the one.

KT really likes the 12 gauge Pardner, made under NEF or Hatfield! It is cut to 20" also and nice and light weight, easy to manuver and quick to point with the orange dot fiber optic front sight! So your choice is good, in HMHO! :lol::lol:
KT has many long guns in His Royal Armory, but likes the single shots best for hunting....makes one conserve ammo!

This Hatfield is now finished and complete pictures of the final product are posted in the day 1 & 2 thread!

KT has many long guns in His Royal Armory, but likes the single shots best for hunting....makes one conserve ammo!

When growing up my cousin often visited me on our farm. He always wanted to shoot one of my .22 rifles. I got out a single shot for him to shoot. He said he wanted to shoot one of my semi-automatics instead. I told him that he first had to learn how to hit something instead of just firing a number of bullets at the target.

When growing up my cousin often visited me on our farm. He always wanted to shoot one of my .22 rifles. I got out a single shot for him to shoot. He said he wanted to shoot one of my semi-automatics instead. I told him that he first had to learn how to hit something instead of just firing a number of bullets at the target.

You were wise beyond your years! KT suspects you were also the person paying for those bullets! Ha ha. While in college, KT had a CO2 cartridge single shot .22, made by Crosman....loved that rifle. Was stolen from the Royal Chariot shortly after He moved to Little Rock to work.

Ahhhh the single shot H&R was my first shotgun! I wish I had kept it but being so interested in upgrading I didn’t appreciate the simplicity and value of the one shot principle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh the single shot H&R was my first shotgun! I wish I had kept it but being so interested in upgrading I didn’t appreciate the simplicity and value of the one shot principle!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT certainly agrees with you, ugadigger! KT now has 3 of them...single shot shotguns in the Royal Armory. An H&R Pardner 12 gauge, an ATI Nomad 12 gauge, and a H&R SGL 20 gauge. All essentially fool proof.

You were wise beyond your years! KT suspects you were also the person paying for those bullets! Ha ha. While in college, KT had a CO2 cartridge single shot .22, made by Crosman....loved that rifle. Was stolen from the Royal Chariot shortly after He moved to Little Rock to work.

I think you're remembering a Crosman 160. The Chinese revived it maybe a decade or two ago? I got one back then (.177) and, while the quality of build was so-so, it was easily the most accurate air rifle I had out to about 25 yards.

It's still available in much more refined Chinese version and ... a genuine made in USA version by Crosman/Sheridan! Pretty sure they have both .177 and .22. Relive your youth. Paint one camo :)

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/articles/head-to-head-qb78-deluxe-vs-sheridan-2260mb/

Back
Top Bottom