Anfibio vs nickels

fieldho

I've been using an Anfibio Multi for about 2 months. I thought it just didn't like nickels, no problem with other coins. The problem lies in the numbers, I get the same 31 for nickels as I get for square pull tabs.
Has anyone found a work around for this? I haven't been able to find a work around for nickels. Has anyone found a trick to help reduce digging pulls. Up until now, I just ignore the signal but 31 is in a critical zone and I hate to ignore it.

I've been using an Anfibio Multi for about 2 months. I thought it just didn't like nickels, no problem with other coins. The problem lies in the numbers, I get the same 31 for nickels as I get for square pull tabs.
Has anyone found a work around for this? I haven't been able to find a work around for nickels. Has anyone found a trick to help reduce digging pulls. Up until now, I just ignore the signal but 31 is in a critical zone and I hate to ignore it.

With any machine, if you want to dig nickels, you're going to dig some pull tabs. I like old nickels, so i dig nickel signals if they are deep. I rarely dig shallow nickel signals unless there is a "good" probability of a gold ring. Otherwise, I walk over them. Some sites that I have pounded hard and all the high tones are few, I will start to dig them. There are a lot of nickels out there. Just depends on if the time wasted digging aluminum is worth it to you. I will tell you that one of these does make up for a lot of aluminum digging!

Attachments

• 20200925_130535_copy_600x800.jpg
    20200925_130535_copy_600x800.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 830
I always dig pulltabs, not that I like to, which is also the nickel range and gold ring range.

Attachments

• GOLD RING CHART.jpg
    GOLD RING CHART.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,371
I have found when you find a target and the vdi is showing nickel range, you can sometimes hear the difference if you wiggle the coil slowly towards you go back over it and turn 90 degrees. You want to hear that distinct coin tone the anfibio is throwing out. Like many others have stated. I always dig pull tabs if you want the jewelry and nickels there’s really no cheat code work around. The anfibio is a fantastic detector, the learning curve on multiple settings is pretty steep though. Depending on what your running, 3,4,5 tone I usually would change the frequency on the target and try to size out the target with the coil. Also say you were running in 3 tone, swap to deep and listen to what it sounds like with deep on. Another way to distinguish is you can setup a test garden with different depths like 2 nickels then 2 pull tabs and listen to what it sounds like after you wiggle swap frequencies, and modes. And turning on the target like 90 degrees.
Good luck

I dig a lot of nickels. I am getting better at distinguishing them from pull tabs with my Equinox. I sweep the target from at least 3 directions and wiggle the coil. If the VDI jumps above 13 or below 12 and the target is relatively shallow, I pass. If it stays solid on 12-13, and/or is deep, I dig. I still get plenty of square pull tabs and some deeper folded over beavertails, but my ratio of nickels to junk has gone up considerably. And couple of those "nickels" have turned out to be gold rings. Although I have no experience with the Anfibio, I can't believe the technique to use would be much different.

I dig a lot of nickels. I am getting better at distinguishing them from pull tabs with my Equinox. I sweep the target from at least 3 directions and wiggle the coil. If the VDI jumps above 13 or below 12 and the target is relatively shallow, I pass. If it stays solid on 12-13, and/or is deep, I dig. I still get plenty of square pull tabs and some deeper folded over beavertails, but my ratio of nickels to junk has gone up considerably. And couple of those "nickels" have turned out to be gold rings. Although I have no experience with the Anfibio, I can't believe the technique to use would be much different.

This x1000. With the Nox I do a full 360 wiggle on them and if it shows a 14 on it anywhere in that circle it is a guaranteed modern tab. The beavertails seem to hit a 10 or 11 when I do that circle if they are not folded and will hit more 12's than 13's if they are folded. I actually look at nickels as a measure of success when I can distinguish them from the pull tab hell.

I forgot to mention, when your re checking the target to pay attention to the ground mineralization bar. If the bar changes usually it’s candles or a pull tab if it doesn’t change your odds are higher if it being a nickel.

As much as I hate to dig tabs, I always dig those nickel signals. Never know what you will come up with. Bet I have found enough tabs to build a battleship.:shock::laughing:

The best machine I ever used for nickels was the old Compass XP-Pro on auto-notch. If it said was a nickel, it was almost always a nickel. I dug a good number of buffalos out of 'worked out' parks and old schools. Downside was - it wasn't going to find a nickel deeper than about 5 inches!

I don't care to dig Jefferson nickels. I have found several V's, Buffs, and War nickels (Technically a Jefferson) with the Nokta Impact by only digging nickel signals that were at a depth equivalent to where I should be digging silver coins. I have not dug a lot of early Jeffersons for some reason. If it's deep it's usually a V or Buff.

While on the subject of nickels I have yet to dig one that rang up over 13 on the Equinox in Park2. That includes War nickels. I've tested everyone I have dug regardless of machine and none ring up above 13 in Park2. V's can go as low as 10 if real deep. If I see a deep 10-13 more times than not it's a V. By the way I also seldom see a deep 13-14. Actually can't remember one. I am not after rings so I don't dig many shallow targets unless I'm really frisky. I do dig most everything that has good depth and sounds decent.

Back
Top Bottom