When things just don't add up

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Its time to do some testing...

I spent about 30 minutes at my neighbors house last night and things just didn't add up. First off this is a house in an area where 1800's coins could/should be found but it is a house thats been hunted pretty hard. I know because a friend and I have hunted it more than once but I don't remember anything special being found. By nothing special I'm talking 1800's coins.

Now I realize you can never get it all and I guess thats what I was hoping when I took the DFX over. That and hoping the DFX would have an advantage over past detectors that hunted the place. My results were a bit surprising though. I can understand the 14k necklace and a very small heart but my coin finds makes no sense.

All coins were from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Whats not adding up here is that where are the missed coins pre-1930? I mean obviously if there are coins from the 30's, 40's and 50's missed then there must be earlier ones as well. I did noticed there was quite a lot of chatter from what I believe to be iron bottle caps but these coins rang out quite clear and were from 4-5" deep.

I think this is a good location to do some testing since its only one house down from mine. My first hunt was with the factory preset coins/jewelry so I think I'll try again with the Deep Silver(DP) and then the High Trash preset and see the results. Finally I will try a bit of my own custom settings and see if I can't squeeze out those older coins that just has to be there somewhere.

692006.jpg

Still a nice haul. Good luck with the rest!

Still a nice haul Detector. Have you done any custom programming yet? I finally found one that works for me in my area. If interested, fire me a pm and I'll walk you through it.

You're likely right that there are older coins at the site, just deeper. But that haul of goodies is still a nice one!

Detector...
What's that madallion thingy at the top of the picture?
Looks like a very nice find at a glance.

I can relate to what your saying Detector. I hunted the yard of a 1772 house and the same thing happened to me.
The owner of the house said the house has always been in the family and to the best of her knowledge it has never been hunted.
The earliest I found was a 1935 Buffalo Nickel, a 1963 penny is the earliest date of all the rest of the change.
The soil was very loose and sandy and all the clad was found between two and six inches deep, that seems a little deep for clad to me.
I?m thinking the soil was so loose and soft all the good stuff had sunk into the ground so deep it was out of my detector range. Now I purchased a DFX the property has sold and the new owner won?t grant permission to hunt so I guess I?ll never know.

You did well even if there wasn?t any 1800s coins,
DirtDigger (New Hampshire)

Krom...

My guess is some sort of Olympic metal. Its hard to see from my picture but there is a hand holding a torch in the middle.

I'm thinking the older stuff is going to be much deeper. Fill dirt? Unfortunately I have the same situation at my parents house. Their house is the oldest house in dodge that I'm aware of. If you look at Dodge City's history they show a place called the Home of Stone as the oldest still standing house built in the 1880's, but my patents deed shows their house was built in 1848.

Technically my parents house was a farm house when Dodge City was founded in 1871 because it was outside of the city at that time now its almost in the center of town. Anyway when my parents bought the house in the early 70's(Just about the time I started metal detecting) we brought in 10" of fill dirt to build the yards up. I've had the exact same results. Nothing really old that would indicate its age.

Oddly enough I did find a small cache of German coins from the 40's in the back yard.

I didn't get a chance to re-hunt my neighbors house this weekend because my nephew is wanting to buy a detector and he asked me to come to Bucklin(small town about 30 miles from dodge) and show him how they work.

I've been doing some searching, but could only find a couple that were close.
I lightened it up a bit. That kinda looks like a "V" in the background.

Attachments

• DetectorsMedallion.jpg
    DetectorsMedallion.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 144
Wow... there ya go. Nice detail now, Detector.
Now I can compare better.  ;)

(Krom's editing this post to save space :D)

I think I found it, Detector.
Here's where I found it:
http://www.sopwithmotorsports.com/indysquadron/id185.html
(Since this is a one-time award that only went to one person, I think you might have a one-of-a-kind medallion, there. Congrats!)
... and here's a pic of the look-alike I found:

Attachments

• VictoryMeda1997.jpg
    VictoryMeda1997.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom