Waaway Cheeeeep Detector Stand

RichieSoprano

Ok. Right off I am saying I don't know how to post pics so if you want to get all worked up go right ahead, but this is so easy and inexpensive it's scary. Really simple: take 2 pcs. of 1/2 inch cpvc cut to equal 12 inch lengths. Buy one of the tiny plastic squeeze clamps from any hardware store or harbor freight. With a razorknife CAREFULLY trim some of the soft handle covering away so that you can friction fit the cpvc over the handles. Push each handle in each of the cpvc. You are DONE(except I also removed the little pieces that toggle at the tip of the clamp).
I clipped mine just in front of the control box with the legs UP for detecting. I simply rotate the plastic clamp counterclockwise so the legs are DOWN for standing the detector. Works AWESOME. VERY lightweight. If anyone needs a pic or will post one for me onto this thread I do know how to text a picture so feel free to pm me with a text able number, and I will send two pics of the little critter.

I think digger27 is gonna post pics for me. I sent them to him via text. Just another tip...wrap the "claw" portion of the clamp with veterinarian tape. Makes it more snug and less likely to shift. This is very similar to the removable barrel bipod for a rifle. Just costs me about a dollar.

Here ya go....

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 20190804_200428.jpg
    20190804_200428.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 919
  • 20190804_200455.jpg
    20190804_200455.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 908
Before anyone asks...the Orange veterinarian tape is to stabilize my broken shaft collar til teknetics mails me the new parts. Tapes ugly but I can still hunt in the meantime.

hmmmmmm, this is a pretty cool idea! i mostly use the "lay the detector down and hope it doesn't roll" technique. :D

Thanks guys! If I was really smart ida figgered a folding setup. But this is next best. It weighs nearly nothing and it is E-Z to setup. If you look up Leaper's Rifle Bipod you can see the same principle. Of course mine is NOWHERE near as durable(or heavy). But...for a buck
..? Boyhowdie do I like mine. If this saves somebody's detector from damage..
then I am very pleased.

Thanks Richie, Went to my local Home depot and they had sections of 2' pvc so I grabbed one. Had the clamp already, mines a little bigger clamp so I just bought 3/4 pipe, started shaving the clamp handeles and immediately got lazy and grabbed my dremmel. Used the little sanding wheel. Very easy. Bet mine ways a bit more but not enough to be an issue.
I was always thinking of an easy, cheap way to make a stand but was on the back burner. Mine works out best back where the arm cuff is. Thanks and HH

Great idea! I waste a lot of time trying to keep my detector from rolling over and putting the control box in the dirt. I've considered extending the stock tiny legs with pvc, but this is even better!

U are. VERY welcome. Glad 2 help out
Gosh I like 2 tinker with stuff.

I actually got carried away, but for only 64cents per, I bought the end caps and a cheapo 98cent can of black spray paint. Sanded down the PVC and painted. Tonight I'm clear coating to seal. Total spent-- about $4.
I always spend at least an extra minute carefully laying the 705 down even though it has a environment hood on the control box. Great Idea. Hey I too like to tinker at times and repurpose stuff.

Hey tinsmith...you be ALL stylin' yo! I left my cpvc bipod legs uncapped so they would grab better on slopes, rather than risk sliding. But if yours works good that way
.......cha-CHA!

I have been detecting for around forty years. I figure that in that time my detectors spend about of that time lying on their sides on the ground. I have never had any problems because of it. As for stands I have a cheap rifle bipod that I picked up somewhere but I never use it. I don't like any extra weight or things to get in the way.
Bipod.jpg

Here's what I use. Keeps it high enough of the ground, for me anyway. Stable, and not in the way when swinging. Less than $3.

Attachments

• IMG_20190822_064636393.jpg
    IMG_20190822_064636393.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,098
Back
Top Bottom