Finders-Keepers Rule vs. Finders-Keepers Reality

Have to say ya got them good BS...oh wait...your BS was perfect.. :lol:

Now lets see if the Historical Tot Lot Preservation Society can get the Tot Lot Enforcement act passed. I think it will fail as federal funding for the officers
that will have to patrol each Tot Lot just isn't there at the moment.

(Shrug) Will just have to watch C-Span and wait for the vote.

G

I can verify that this has been enacted in NJ. I was stopped by a uniformed officer yesterday after exiting a beach. My finds-pouch was searched and a ring with a date of 1917 inscribed inside was taken as evidence. I was taken to a police station issued where I was photographed and told I would need to show up in court in 2 weeks. They also confiscated my BHID but left me with my scoop. I guess they figured I didn't own more than one detector.

:mad:

Tough way to find out. At least it was only a BH:lol::lol:

I can verify that this has been enacted in NJ. I was stopped by a uniformed officer yesterday after exiting a beach. My finds-pouch was searched and a ring with a date of 1917 inscribed inside was taken as evidence. I was taken to a police station issued where I was photographed and told I would need to show up in court in 2 weeks. They also confiscated my BHID but left me with my scoop. I guess they figured I didn't own more than one detector.

:mad:
What? !!!! What ? 😡 This is what our law inforcment is doing these days!
I don't know ... I may have been arrested for assault or possibly shot .
I am so hacked off at this moment just reading this .

What's next ? 3am tonight your door gets bashed in and you are shot 17 times as you open your nightstand to get your pistol thinking it's a home invasion?
Obviously a guy like you may have more illegal or seizable assets.
Our local governments are broke and grasping at straws to generate income and your constitutional rights cost more to defend then the common man can afford.
Sad! Never consent to a search ! This is Tyranny!

I just read that anything that has been in Florida waters for 50 years or more is considered state property and is illegal to take. Does this also pertain to items that are 50 years or older and are found between the seaward toe of the dune and the ordinary water line?

BGF, I have not taken the time to read all the replies here so far. But let's just cut-to-the-chase :

Why stop at that supposed law ? I can guarantee you that there's not a speck of public land anywhere in the USA that you can detect, that I can't find some law you're in violation of. If I stand on one foot and squint real hard, I can come up with something that any md'r is guilty of.

eg.: Lost & found laws. IRS tax laws. cultural heritage laws. Harvest/remove/take laws. Alter/deface/dig laws, etc.....

There is probably something like that in state of CA beach laws/rules too. Yet I can guarantee you that there's guy here who (gasp) are finding 51+ yr. old coins from the beach. And I can guarantee you that there's guys in FL doing the same. Just don't wave your stuff in front of bored purist archies. Don't over-think it.

I was on a beach once and was told by a lifeguard there was no MetalDetecting allowed. I asked what the problem was and of course no good answer. I had more canslaw and trash in my pouch then coins and explained we help clean the beaches by taking the trash with us. Still no detecting and while we where talking here came a woman crying and carrying her son that slit his foot on a beer can that was in the sand. I just told him maybe you should have the guts to stop the people from dringing glass or cans on the beach as it was posted and I pointed this out to him. I guess some pick and choose who they pick on.

the whole Idea is to never been noticed and never get caught...Its a skill worth developing, plenty of people adopt and master this easily ...Makes for a pretty fun and successful Life on this Planet if you focus on this...

You've kind of hit of the problem with detecting I've referenced for years. "Technically" not just in the waters but on land we are all breaking the law by recovering most of what we look for.

And as far as the "Finders Keepers" law, it is real BUT, if you've ever read the rules to claim something you found using the Finders Keepers law you'll see you're taking a risk that the local law enforcement will be honest. To use the Finders Keepers law you must first turn the item in to local law enforcement and then they must post it in the paper and on a board that this item was found and anyone has 30 days, in most states, to claim it as theirs. Your chances of ever seeing it again are pretty slim.

ARG! that is why we are all really Pirates. Keep yee plunder to yourself.

I was on a beach once and was told by a lifeguard there was no MetalDetecting allowed. ...

Can I ask what beach that was ?

... as it was posted and I pointed this out to him. I guess some pick and choose who they pick on.

This may shed some light on that hypocricy: So too has it been pointed out, when the subject of "booted md'rs" comes up: An md'r notices that people let their dogs poop on the ground and don't pick up the poop. Even though there's a rule that says "Pick up after your pooch". So the md'r ...... just like your post here ..... points out the inherent contradiction in enforcement/concern.

But notice the difference between those dog-people and the md'r: MD'rs historically go ask lifeguards, send emails, make cold calls, etc.... asking bored govt. officials and beach personnel: "Hi. Is it ok to metal detect on the beach ?" Then the pencil pusher or lifeguard ...... tasked with this "pressing question", sleuths long & hard through the minutia. He finds something that he thinks means "no". Eg.: disturbing sand crabs, or some such nonsense. So he tells the md'r : No. :no: Then guess what happens the next time that official or lifeguard sees another md'r ? He remembers the earlier inquirer and starts booting others.

CONTRAST TO THE DOG PEOPLE: Who NEVER show up asking "Hi, can I let my dog poop all over and not pick it up ?"

Hence shame on those dog-people for not asking "can I?", eh ? Or perhaps it's "shame on us md'rs for asking stupid questions of bored desk jockeys" . :?:

the whole Idea is to never been noticed and never get caught...Its a skill worth developing....

This beats the heck out of spending your whole life trying to get 1 lone person in 10,000 persons, to change their mind . Rather than knock yourself silly trying to change the attitude of a single person like that (when the other 9,999 persons don't care), it's often better to avoid just that one person. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine: Sneak around :roll:

the whole Idea is to never been noticed and never get caught...Its a skill worth developing, plenty of people adopt and master this easily ...Makes for a pretty fun and successful Life on this Planet if you focus on this...

You got it buddy. Keep a low profile and stay under the radar.

Can I ask what beach that was ?

This may shed some light on that hypocricy: So too has it been pointed out, when the subject of "booted md'rs" comes up: An md'r notices that people let their dogs poop on the ground and don't pick up the poop. Even though there's a rule that says "Pick up after your pooch". So the md'r ...... just like your post here ..... points out the inherent contradiction in enforcement/concern.

But notice the difference between those dog-people and the md'r: MD'rs historically go ask lifeguards, send emails, make cold calls, etc.... asking bored govt. officials and beach personnel: "Hi. Is it ok to metal detect on the beach ?" Then the pencil pusher or lifeguard ...... tasked with this "pressing question", sleuths long & hard through the minutia. He finds something that he thinks means "no". Eg.: disturbing sand crabs, or some such nonsense. So he tells the md'r : No. :no: Then guess what happens the next time that official or lifeguard sees another md'r ? He remembers the earlier inquirer and starts booting others.

CONTRAST TO THE DOG PEOPLE: Who NEVER show up asking "Hi, can I let my dog poop all over and not pick it up ?"

Hence shame on those dog-people for not asking "can I?", eh ? Or perhaps it's "shame on us md'rs for asking stupid questions of bored desk jockeys" . :?:

This beats the heck out of spending your whole life trying to get 1 lone person in 10,000 persons, to change their mind . Rather than knock yourself silly trying to change the attitude of a single person like that (when the other 9,999 persons don't care), it's often better to avoid just that one person. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine: Sneak around :roll:

Tom... do you realize some of these members haven't been on the forum since 2011 when this thread was started ? Is it slow in the permission section Tom? :laughing:

Sorry it took so long to get to the question. The beach I was detecting was out in Hawaii and I never had a problem with any of the lifeguards in the past just this one guy. No I don't ask for permission when I go to a beach just thought it was crazy that he got off his stand and walked over to me.

.... and I never had a problem with any of the lifeguards in the past just this one guy. ....

Thanx for the answer. And as you can probably surmise, if you took that singular scram, and tried to "convince him-otherwise", it could have opened a "can of worms". :roll:

Just lock it up in the old Hip National and don’t tell anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry it took so long to get to the question. The beach I was detecting was out in Hawaii and I never had a problem with any of the lifeguards in the past just this one guy. No I don't ask for permission when I go to a beach just thought it was crazy that he got off his stand and walked over to me.

Yeah...some people are like that. They get a bit of 'authority' over an area and think they are Dwight Schrute! I got tossed off a snow hill one early 4am by some kid running the hill grooming sno-cat...well, it was an attempt anyway...Couldnt believe he took the effort to get out of the rig and tell me he didnt appreciate me digging holes in the snow! I simply snorted and said 'piss off!" And he did...He couldnt a been more than 18yrs old, figured it was high time he learned a lesson......

Another time, I was hunting a local beach at 4am, completely dark, no lights, middle of the Summer...A couple of young Summertime 'Beach Ranger' kids came on over...told me, "Sir, this Beach is not open until 6am"...So I said, "Well? What are you doing here then?" They said they were out here patrolling, looking for drunks and skinnydippers, they said thats the only people out here this time of the morning....

I absorbed this info and said, "OK, so....if I take off my pants I can stay?" :laughing: Both times I stayed and hunted...Second Hand Lion here...Kids need to learn some respect, Old guys come in handy to have around mostly....nothing to trifle with either...Plus, who needs pants before Sun-up anyway? :laughing:

Attachments

• snow3.jpg
    snow3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 307
  • jul 19-17.jpg
    jul 19-17.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 310
  • night.jpg
    night.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 329
I absorbed this info and said, "OK, so....if I take off my pants I can stay?" :laughing: Both times I stayed and hunted...Second Hand Lion here...Kids need to learn some respect, Old guys come in handy to have around mostly....nothing to trifle with either...Plus, who needs pants before Sun-up anyway? :laughing:

But doesn't the cool breeze off the lake bother you. :lol: Would sure take my mind off detecting.

Ray

I totally reject such links as that. For example, notice the opening line:

" .... Metal detecting in Florida is governed by the State Laws of Antiquities, established by the Federal Archaeological Resource Preservation Act of 1979...."

What that author fails to mention, is that ARPA (the 1979 thingy) is only for federal land. Not other forms of land. But do they specify/clarify that ? Nnneeeoo.

Whomever puts together whizbang web links like that, probably consulted with an archie (bless their little hearts). Who... of course .... paint everything with a dire brush. Insinuating that must run hither and yonder grovelling to see "if your county requires permits", etc....

There was even one of those, for another state, insinuating that you had to have private property owner's permission in Writing. But never backed it up to say where they'd gotten that from. I say hog-wash: A handshake and verbal is all someone needs. Just like if you invite your buddies over to watch the football game, they don't need "written permission" to be in your house.

So too is it with this link. A bit of effort and it falls apart as mostly sensational. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom