For new MDers

Machtyn

I've noticed a few posts from the past couple of days from people new to MD (like myself). Have you all had the following experience lately?

So, I'm really excited about my MD purchase and have told my family and friends about it. The wife allowed me to get one but I did have to do something nice for her (and boy did I! A great seat for Les Mis). Anyway, with the recent find of the 100g gold nugget being sold for $400,000 and a few (inter)national stories about other large finds, I've been getting bugged about "Have you found a gold nugget yet?" "When are you going to find that old stash?" "Has that thing paid for itself, yet?"

I don't know about you, I put on a smiley face and jest along with them. But I do find it mildly annoying. I mean, I just got the thing. It's a new hobby. I don't expect to find anything but clad and trash (and more trash than clad) until I get more familiar with my tool (the MD) and experience knowing how and where to look.

By the way, what got you new guys into MDing? For me, I've always been mildly interested (I even got a Radio Shack model when I was a teen). But recently, I had the cash, some time, and wanted a new hobby.

Well here is my rundown on starting out in the MD hobby. I am going to retire in about 3 years and I was looking for something with a lot of outdoor experiences....I have been a hunter and fisherman in my younger years, but it is getting more expensive and more hassle every year what with all the new regulations, limits and such, plus equipment...MAN you can spend a bundle before you ever get to go! Also, for 50 years I have been a mineral collector, hunting the State of Arkansas high and low for good specimens and have an outstanding collection...but wife and son are not interested in it. So a couple of years ago I made the decision to begin to sell it and have done quite well so far but still have a lot left to dispose of. Years of time and money tied up in it.
Four years ago I bought a motorcycle, a cruiser, and started riding. Harkens back to my college days riding...and I greatly enjoy that and the friends I have made. But much of the time, I can only get away for a few hours from home at a time. So this hobby (MDing) just always interested me, but never did anything about it. I got some money for Christmas so I decided, if I was ever gonna do something, 2011 was the year. I ordered my MD and while waiting for its delivery (boo hoo, no local shops where I live!) I began to watch every Utube video I could about the hobby. By the time the MD got to me, I was pumped up and ready to go hunt. I promptly discovered that no one ever visited my property that was careless with money! HA HA I found lots of nails, roofing tacks, and even parts of old wagons and a square nail dating from before 1900, but no coins.

That set me to thinking and I went and got permission from my pastor to hunt my church grounds. Well, I wound up with $1.41 in modern clad, a silver necklace cross, and a nearly new girls Fossil wristwatch. Hard digging tho in that packed driveway.

Then I saw a sand scoop on ebay that I had seen a video about, so I ordered it...Heck, I live 500 miles from the nearest coastline but that did not stop me..In my town there are dozens of parks with kids playgrounds that are full of sand...just big sand boxes waiting for me to search them. I am now practicing my beach technique and finding clad too....just yesterday from a small area, I got 41 cents and a new hot wheels car! HA HA

My wife watches with amusement each day I come home with my "goodies." But she has had one comment for me...."Don't quit your day job, just yet!"

At least she is not on me to find gold nuggets! Heck, we don't have any here in Arkansas, other than those nugget rings that folks like to wear! Hoping to find one of them someday soon!

I bought my first detector in 1983, more out of a fight against "cabin fever" (Montana winters are looooong) than anything else. Made some nice finds with it and Great Falls was a metal detector "friendly" city.

Bought 40 acres of land here in Colorado several years ago and did some research on the area (yes, I did it backwards). Found out that not only was it in the middle of two primo gold areas, but the area was also rich in history (Kit Carson, Spanish Explorers, Fort Garland, etc). The next step was a no-brainer........:D:yes:

Dusty

I've wanted an MD since I was maybe in my thirties. I've hunted and collected indian artifacts since 1966 and at one point in time bought a copper awl that a co-worker found by his house. This just gave me the urge even stronger. I collect all kinds of old things and figured an MD could help make my pile of old stuff bigger. When I proudly showed my very first coin find to my wife the other day ( 1992 clad dime ) she just gave me that kind of OOOOOOOOKAAAY look. The guys at work are always asking if I found my fortune yet. But all their comments are like pouring water on a duck's back. They just roll right off. I know I'm going to really DIG this hobby. Pardon the pun. ><>

The reason I got into MDing? I'm in Germany for the next 3 years. Who wouldn't want to see what's hidden in the ground over here. I just started and haven't found anything cool yet. I plan to hook up with some of the other forum members who are in Germany here soon.

I got an Ace 150 for Christmas 2 years ago but haven't exercised it too much -- yet. I went out in our own yard (the house was built around 1906 as a farmhouse) with my son and grandson just to fool around a bit. I put a couple of holes in the ground, got the brass back of a 12-gauge shotgun shell, a chunk of unidentified metal, and -wow- a 1947 Roosevelt dime. It was appropriate because I was born in 47. I am getting very anxious about getting back out in the yard and do a better job of punching holes in the ground (yes, I'm bringing the grass seed). I am trying to find some experienced hunters around the area to get some pointers and just to have some great fun.

It's been hard for me to find time and find good areas. I may have found a spot today. I was sweeping in all metals mode and digging mostly trash. I notched everything out except for 10,25 and 50 cent and found 97 cents in clad the oldest being a 66 quarter. This place is about 15 acres. I should know my machine by the time I get through it.

Most of the historic areas downtown have been paved over. I'm going to try to hit a park or 2 in the morning before work.

We were all new to the hobby at one time, and surely have heard all the jests about 'finding the big one' etc., etc.. Just let it roll off and enjoy your hobby. Try taking out some of the more persistant people and letting them swing your MD and find something... I have found that some of the biggest teasers are in reality quite envious and interested. Their jibes come from what they think would be directed at them if they tried the hobby. Converts come easily once they find a coin or relic. HH RickO

Back
Top Bottom