WOW! I am the luckiest guy...

robby4570

Elite Member
This post could go into several forums, it's mind blowing and eye popping, it happened at the beach, but most of all, it was a Lost Item (referred to me as a "Lost My Stuff" member) that I get to re-unite with it's owner.

I hope I have the story correct here. The back story as I know it begins with two gold rings on a chain around the owners neck. She was here on vacation playing Rugby on the beach when the chain was broken and the rings fell to the sand but the chain stayed on her neck. She hired a local "for a fee" searcher and they looked for the ring for some three hours (a bargain given this searcher normally gets $100/hour) to no avail. This was on the 19th.

On the 22nd the loss got reported to Lost My Stuff and I saw the email. I contacted the phone number on the report and spoke with the Mother of the girl who lost the rings. She told me the story of how they were lost and then told me the story of the rings... they are replicas of the US Naval Academy Class ring 1922 and the US Military Academy 1925. They are wedding rings of the Grandmother and Great Grandmother of the girl who lost them and are family heirlooms. The owner had left Panama City Beach by the time I got the info (to return to US Military Academy where SHE is a Cadet) so I got the best loss location info I could third hand and then received a very nice email from the owner herself a day later with a bit better location info (turns out, she was DEAD ON ACCURATE to within a 20 x 20 area). So my hunting buddy and I hit the beach with our Minelab E-Trac detectors (and me wearing my lucky Minelab Owners baseball cap :D ) at 7:30 today. By 8:30 we had both rings!!! I found the first one with a barely audible warble of that sweet gold tone and a flicker of 14/23 Fe/Co reading at 10 inches. I dug gently with my Stealth 720i and after the first 3 inches of sand the ring rang in louder and still showed about 10 inches. I did two more scoops of about 3 inches of sand each time and on the third scoop full, up came the smaller of the two rings. Apparently the second ring came up in one of the three scoops full of sand because it wasn't in that hole after the first ring came up. All I can think is it was either right beside the first hole and I moved it enough to not be able to read it in the hole or I scooped it and lost it out of the scoop while shaking out the sand. Anyway, my buddy Craig was searching my "tailings" and found the ring down about 6 inches right beside the hole I was working.

So, I am one lucky guy to get to help out getting a pair of nearly 100 year old rings back to the owner, and to get to serve a member of the US Military who is serving us.

10308185_10155353427435635_8998445132911064052_n.jpg

11084258_10155351868940635_7073553622001614774_n.jpg

Once again, I hope I got the facts about the rings correct...

Very Cool. Lost My Stuff is the way to go. The previous guy gets $100/hr and they didn't even find them. Good work Robby.

Nice job!!!!!!

Nothing better than helping a military person. OUTSTANDING!!!!

Way to go on the return, that makes us all look good in the public's eye. Keep up the good deeds. Congrats

Panama City is kind towards returning valuable rings. That's where I found that groom's ring last year.

GREAT JOB MIKE! So sweet to have that kind of success.

Great story and awesome of you to have gone and found the rings for what sounds like a great family! I hope you have years of great hunting for helping them.

Thank you all, and thank you KARMA... an update

Okay I didn't say anything about this the other day when I found the two wedding rings for the lady. But, right after I found the two wedding rings I found this ring, this is a tiny little ring and I'm not sure how I even saw it with the detector. I guess it just goes to show the E-Trac will indeed find gold and even tiny gold at that. It came in at 14/29 and showed three inches deep. It was all corroded and nasty looking I didn't know if it was even a gold ring. So I brought it home cleaned it up and then did an air test with my wedding ring, another heavy gold ring that I had previously found, the two wedding rings that I recovered and this ring on the E-Trac. The bigger of the two recovered rings was 12 / 20 the smaller was 12 / 21 and this little ring shows 12 / 28. The dime in the second picture is just there for size reference, this ring is really tiny, it only weighs .8 grams (that's POINT eight)!! I'm on the road traveling today, but hopefully tomorrow I can get over to the jewelry store and get them to acid test this ring and verify if it really is gold. If I can't get by there tomorrow it will be Tuesday before I can get by but I will post the results of the acid test as soon as possible.

10253909_10155361135990635_4766753078870721287_n.jpg

11067448_10155361136095635_2105801215170085235_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom