ethical requirement when you find a ring?

well if there are cookies and some chatting to go with the coffee I am all in :lol:

Just like this morning when I hooked up with PI JOE, fsa46, Captain Silver and Dirt Lizzard we tried to pillage the beach today but it was having none of that :laughing:

On a side note, a neighbor lost their wedding ring at a soccer game and he is going to hire my son to got detect for it. I pray he can find it as I think it would be a great lesson for him to use the skill he is developing to help someone out. It will be interesting to see what my son will ask for or take as compensation. I hope he will do it for free, but I am leaving that up to him.

I hope your son is successful on his hunt for the ring,
let us know if he finds it.
Good luck.

I had a coworker tell me the location of her wedding ring and basically said if I can find it to keep it.....because.....when she threw it out the window she never wanted to see it again!!!!!!

It is in Mustang Ok for anyone interested....PM me and I will tell you what church yard to hunt.:laughing:

Just thinking about how many rings are insured and how many have been lost and returned to the people who have already collected the insurance money.

This a valid point and I know someone who did exactly this. He lost a very nice $3k+ engagement ring at a beach...well his fiance did. He had his receipt so he turned it in to his insurance and got cut a check for the purchase price. Later the ring was found and returned to him. Now he is double dipping trying to sell the ring off. He tried to sell it to me for $1500. I told him no thanks, don't care what its worth...you got all your money back. I will not advertise anything on CL as being found except perscription glasses, keys, and phones. I do however check the lost and found section to see if anything has been posted that matches an item I have found. I have tried to track down owners of items with no luck as all I had to go on was initials. I have however helped numerous people find their just lost item...and all but one was a rewarding experience. The one that was not was a set of lost keys on a busy beach. I was approached and asked if I could help find them...I said sure and started searching the area. About 40 minutes later, still not finding them I walked over to the group this lady was with and started sorry I'm not finding them. One cocky lady speaks up and says...oh she found them herself and left. !!!!?! Noone even had the courtesy to let me know.

LOL this topic is as bad as politics, religion, hunting graveyards, and trespassing.

VERY SIMPLE AND EASY CONCLUSION!!!

Do what YOU feel is right. Do NOT judge others for doing what THEY feel is right.

YOU and ONLY you can decide how you want to handle the situation.

I return all I can. I have FRIENDS that do NOT. I REFUSE to judge them and they stay my friends.

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION. All you people that judge need to learn to tolerate others views. PERIOD

I agree!! That being said, i think its noble of the people who try to find an owner!!
To all the judgers.......hypothetically ask yourself where do you draw the line? Keep in mind the owner of that silver coin you found on a private site, might be located by doing the research of that sites previous owners. If any of you judgers havnt done that.....i hope you have crow seasoning

I found a nice 10k classring laying in the parking lot at walmart 2 yrs ago, I located the owner and called her mother, as the girl was still in school. Well the mother worked at the bank inside walmart....when I met with her and gave her the ring, she went on and on about how mad she was at her daughter for not telling her she even lost the ring and never even thanked me for returning it. I could have taken it to the pawn shop and got an easy $100 bucks or more, that put a real sour taste in my mouth.

Makes me really think hard about helping people when they are so ungrateful.

Guess what... if this thread had turned sour like your threads then it would have gone where yours did as well... a little humor never hurt anyone.

Just about everyone who wanted to have their opinion heard has been heard.

Lets see you start a thread about detecting cemetery's which went down the toilet (bad topic) you should have used the search feature.

Then you start a post about members being unfriendly and not responding in a timely fashion to your threads... those are your two threads you speak about here.

The thread I was talking about was the one started by someone else and I posted a picture of a unicorn and you deleted it without any notice, and I asked you about it and you told me "That has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, take it to the family friendly forum" --
K thanks :no:

Then you start a post about members being unfriendly and not responding in a timely fashion to your threads... those are your two threads you speak about here.

That thread was a joke, everyone knew it was a joke. It was in reference to someone else making the same exact thread, complaining that his thread had lots of views, but no replies to his question.

a little humor never hurt anyone.

I personally would attempt to locate the person who lost the ring. Some here say "findes keepers", but if they lost a wallet, purse etc. with money, jewelery etc. that could be returned to them, I bet the "finders keepers" thing would be out the window!!!! Can't wait for the "Yeah, but the law say you have to turn it...."

I personally would attempt to locate the person who lost the ring. Some here say "findes keepers", but if they lost a wallet, purse etc. with money, jewelery etc. that could be returned to them, I bet the "finders keepers" thing would be out the window!!!! Can't wait for the "Yeah, but the law say you have to turn it...."

You do whatever makes you feel right... if you are a believer in karma then go for it... me... its a hobby and I enjoy finding things for my collections... some find artifacts to display... I like to display the rings I find.

I like Bill's answer in the above post.I see a lot of "relative"
morals based on how people feel,or how others have treated
them.Right is right and wrong is wrong,and it doesn't matter
how it makes you feel.If you forget your detector at the hunt
site,(it has hapened)and someone feels "finders keepers",you
may change your mind on that.I had a lady at the beach come
up to me and say"you people make me sick"(THers),and walk off.
Probably had someone palm her ring when they found it.In short,
if you can find the owner,return it. If you can't ,after due process,
it's yours.No moral judgements here,just plain morals.HH Joe

Back
Top Bottom