In desperate need of help

Howdy

As others have said... All Metal mode... That will get you greatest sensitivity. Etc... As you have already tried with setting discrimination... I don't know the 250 that we'll... Just from research... But... I'd go all metal.... Slow the swing down... And be sure you overlap.... It should not be that deep... But either way... Would think it would hit decent... Set up a grid pattern... These things are never where you think they are... Work and ten by ten section at a time.... Keep the coil as close to the ground as you can... Take your time... And again... Worked a grid. Good luck. Also good advice to post in the lost threads... Someone will probably help you out. Keep us posted.

Ron

I once lost my ring. Where I found it, was not with a MD. What I had done was place some neoprene socks on during winter time. My hands were cold and the ring came off inside the socks, and I could not feel it. Later, I found it, but I looked everywhere that I had been. Also, I had a lady friend that lost her diamond ring at a garage sale. What she had done was try on a pair of gloves. Later she realized that her ring was missing, and never recovered it. If you wear hearing aids, do not wear them outside when working, I lost one and it took me all day to find it by eyes only. A MD will not locate it either, I tried. Good luck with your search.

where is the pile of debris?

More than likely its under there, or in it. Thanksgiving morning I got a call from a lady across the park from me. Her son and DIL were clearing some brush behind her house. Make a short story even shorter, it was under the branches and brambles he piled up. He said it was a gold ring, It was, but rang up as a quarter. 83 on the mxt. Good luck to you, it will turn up Gil.
Now Im moving this thread to lost and found

Like Chad said, Lost my stuff group is the best place to start. There are some people on the forum from NC. You need someone to help you search that has some experience under their belt. Don't fret, someone will help you. Whatever you do don't get rid of any of those leaves. Good luck.....Curt:grin:(wish I lived closer to you)

Try lostmystuff.com. You might also post in the Lost and Found thread on this forum. If you post your area there might be a member who could help you. If you still have the 250 you might try to search in all metal mode. You will find lots of junk no doubt but it should increase your chances of finding the ring.

it's a dot "net" site instead of dot "com"

I did a sweep first of all using the jewelry mode, by picked up loads of other stuff, like aluminium foil, nails, rings pulls, etc, etc. our wedding rings were bought from the same store, so I thought if I knew what set her off,that would probably set mine off too (it's set to the 5c indicator). I can not guarantee it was on my finger when I started, but I have never taken my wedding ring off once since I have been married (2006) and noticed it felt different when I put the thick glove on. Plus it was a cold morning, and that glove catches me where my wedding ring sits, so I came to the conclusion that it must of come off when taking my gloves off to dig up a sapping root.

It could be in under the ground where I have been diigging up the roots, but the ace only seems to pick my wife's ring up if I am less than 4 inches above.

I have hired the ace 250 for a week and will spend all weekend in the garden. Any other tips that I should consider as this is all very new to me.

Thanks, scott

You can't disc out trash when searching for platinum it can fall into the foil range.

I have an Ace250, I'm no expert but here is what I know. First of all you need to use it in all metal mode because items give off different readings depending on size and depth. Example the other day I dug a quarter at 6 inches that was giving a reading at dime. I also dug a tiny ring once, only an inch down, that gave a reading as a solid pull tab.

I would suggest you just dig all the targets you get. If you were pulling roots you may have burried it a few inches down. The more likely event is you pulled it off when removing your gloves. That means the ring could be anyplace the gloves have been. The ring may have come off in the glove and then fallen out at a later time as you carried it. This means anyplace you were in the yard is where you need to look.

Good luck.

Had a great response from lost my stuff. I had 8 volunteers contact me from as close as 2 miles away to people over a hundred and in different states. Last Sunday, a very nice gentlemen came and spent two hours methodically sweeping the most probable area, but alas no ring. He suggested I move some of the debris collected when doing the garden and doing a second sweep later. I have finished clearing out the two areas tonight and another local volunteer will be the additional sweep.

Whilst I am still gutted at losing the ring, metal detecting seems like quite a nice and interesting little hobby. I am currently contemplating buying a md to replace the ace 250 when I return it to the rental store. I feel I need to continue searching no matter how futile it may be, plus I have removed quite a bit of trash and found a few coins along the way.

The sapplings I dug out went down about 8-12 inches in the ground with my spade. I still feel that the glove pulled off the ring (I took off the gloves every time I started to dig out a sappling) it would have fallen onto the ground and potentially I pushed the soil together with my ring back into the ground. I made some tests with the ace 250, which picks up my wife matching ring upto about four inches away. However as soon as I put something on top of the ring, eg a book, it only picks it up less than two inches away. Does this mean I am unlikely to detect it in the ground with the ace250?

If I am going to buy a md, which make and model should I invest in upto $300?

With all those people and detectors going over and over in your yard...did ya at least find a few dollars in clad and maybe a merc? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry. Couldn't resist the opportunity to bring a small amount of humor to your situation! Hope you find the ring soon!

sounds like it might be buried with the trees and deep. It is hard for an ace 250 to go more than 8 inches on a small ring. Maybe you should dig up around the trees and then detect there? You could need a high end detector to go that deep such as minelab etrac or fisher f75 ltd.Good luck.

Don't discriminate anything. Do NOT discriminate. Yes, it's a royal *pain* to work out the foil, nails, pulltabs, bottle caps yada yada, BUT for someone unfamiliar with detectors and what sounds to dig, it is the best and almost the *only* way to find that ring.

Also, Check the bags you emptied. Check the leaves, yeah, AND check the bags themselves. If you have to, go handfull by handfull, each handfull that is clear of metal, you can place in a new clean bag (different color if you can manage it) then turn the old bag inside out.

Check the sapling area again, with NO discrimination. Dig everything. Carefully uproot the sapling and check under the rootball.

Think like a ring. Platinum is heavy. The ring is thin. It will sink quite a ways.

Also, check your nightstand or any area where you have been, putting on, taking off, washing, doing craft stuff, *especially* the bathroom and shower. Check your sink trap. ALL sink traps. Check your car. Did you shampoo? Check the tub/shower drain. Check wastebaskets and the trash. Check your office. Check the file cabinets (you'd be amazed at how many rings come off in files!) etc.

Good luck

SageGrouse

Done it all!!

Today I got two more volunteers from the lostmystuff organization who performed another sweep of the areas, plus the ones that could not be swept the first time. Still not ring.

I put the detector of the u bends of the sinks and took them off, all clean as a whistle in more ways than one! I got work to send out a email to all employees about my ring, unfortunately they put my name in the email so within 2 minutes of the email going out I got "I bet you're in the dog house with the wife" quickly followed by other passer by who said "where did you lose it?" :-|

I am not giving hope yet, and I have just ordered an F2 md to replace the ace250 which is going back to the rental store. I am pretty sure it is not at the surface in the garden, but it could be deeper underground. The volunteers who are all part of a local md club know a couple of members with $5000 md's which go deeper, which may be able to help.

I still have hope.

After 14 35 gallon bags filled with leaves and pine needle, I put on left glove only to discover my thin platinum wedding ring was missing.

Did you check the bags of leaves?

I would dig up all the holes, even with an F75 or E-Trac you probably would not detect a platinum ring deeper than 6 inches very well.

Platinum comes in lower than gold. My mens wedding band comes in 12-24 (like a Budweiser twist-off cap) on the E-Trac, so I would suspect that a platinum one would register 12-18ish like a pull-tab, but yours is probably a lot thinner than mine, so it could be lower than a pull-tab or nickel, like foil.

Also, if the ring is close to the limit at which your detector will detect it, it will come in even lower as iron. So the all-metal advice is good advice.

You may be looking for a faint iron signal 6 inches deep or more! Personally I would dig every iron target and higher, then I would dig up the saplings and do the same, but first I would detect the garbage bags full of leaves.

The garbage bags of leaves have my emptied twice and gone over by five different metal detectors, as have the bags - no ring. I am confident now that they can be disposed of.

The area where I dug out the saplings have been swept with a f75, and e-trac and a spectra v3 (plus my rental ace 250). Another kind local volunteer has been in contact and knows how desperate I am to rule out the buried at depth issue and has spoken with the others volunteers who have visited the site. He has offered to come around this weekend with a GPX which will go deeper.

Fingers crossed!!

The garbage bags of leaves have my emptied twice and gone over by five different metal detectors, as have the bags - no ring. I am confident now that they can be disposed of.
Fingers crossed!!

Don't forget to look inside your laundry washing machine, and its drain. Also inside laundry drier...........

FjLee

Back
Top Bottom