My Personal Best Penny Roll Hunt! ***Update: Back-to-Back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts***

Princess

Elite Member
*** See post #15 for update :grin: ***

On his weekly trip to the credit union for coins, Wolfie - as usual - picked up a few penny rolls for me, knowing I'm always thrilled to find a wheatie or two. :yes: My last several CRHs have been mostly skunks, but this one definitely made up for those.

My search through 10 rolls included four wheat cents (the most I've found in a single hunt!): 1953-D, 1955-D, 1956-D, and best of all, a beautifully pristine 1940-S! :woot: Since this coin hardly seems to have spent much time in circulation, I wonder if it was spent during National Coin Week. (That it's a San Francisco mint is an added bonus, as most of the wheats we come across are Denver or Philadelphia.) I was also happy to find several Lincoln Memorials that I needed for my coin folders (my favorite is a minty 1968-S), as well as a counterstamped 1973 penny with a male profile etched on the obverse.

For me, wheat cents are always fun to find, and the '40-S was a special treat... one I'm pretty excited about! :D Happy hunting to all of you, and God bless!

Attachments

• May CRH 1940-S Wheatie (Combined - Resized).jpg
    May CRH 1940-S Wheatie (Combined - Resized).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 605
  • May CRH Wheaties (Combined - Resized).jpg
    May CRH Wheaties (Combined - Resized).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 565
  • May CRH 1968-S & Counterstamped Coin (Resized).jpg
    May CRH 1968-S & Counterstamped Coin (Resized).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Princess! His Majesty is duly impressed with your CRH finds this week! That minty 1940S Lincoln is a great coin! And KT bets it has some decent collector value too!

Congrats on all your wheatie finds! When KT was just a young tot, with the assistance of his Father, He used to hunt $100 bags of pennies that came from the Meter Department of the local community. Ha Ha. These were mostly wheaties in the late 1950s, but an occasional Indian Head would show up! Now its mostly Memorials with an occasional wheatie! :lol::lol:

Very nice finds Princess! Keep up the good work, and that’s a very nice 1940s!
Thank you! I always appreciate your replies.

WOW !!!

Great CRH Princess Love the condition of the 40 !
I do, too! :D Thank you very much, SoOregonMd.
While it's not a metal detecting find, Penny posed in this picture for you... I think it's a bit heavy for her. :)
Penny Holding 1940-S CRH Wheatie.jpg

That 40 S wheat is REALLY nice, great CRH princess!
Thanks, Jeff! I'm pretty happy about it.

Nice red ‘40S! That one hasn’t been in circulation long -
I was shocked when I first spotted that wheat back in the roll, and could hardly wait to flip it over and see if the other side was as nice. :D Thanks for your reply!

That’s some nice results there :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jeff #2! ;) I especially enjoyed this hunt.

Wow that 1940 looks like it was minted yesterday, Nice saves!
The male counter stamp looks like JFK
Congrats on a great CRH!
I think you're right about the counterstamp. I guess someone decided they feel Kennedy should be on the penny rather than on the half dollar? ;) My brother found one similar to it before.

Princess! His Majesty is duly impressed with your CRH finds this week! That minty 1940S Lincoln is a great coin! And KT bets it has some decent collector value too!

Congrats on all your wheatie finds! When KT was just a young tot, with the assistance of his Father, He used to hunt $100 bags of pennies that came from the Meter Department of the local community. Ha Ha. These were mostly wheaties in the late 1950s, but an occasional Indian Head would show up! Now its mostly Memorials with an occasional wheatie! :lol::lol:
With royal gratitude, thy kindly expressed approval
hath brought a brightened countenance upon me!
Moreover, I do appreciate the thoughts thou didst share. :D

Last edited:
Nice condition wheatie there! It may have been put into circulation as part of that National Coin Week you mentioned. Good luck on your next hunt!

Congrats on the wheaties and other cool finds! :woot: That '40-S is really beautiful! :cool3:
I'm glad you were there to join in the excitement. CRHing is always more fun when we do it together! :D

Nice condition wheatie there! It may have been put into circulation as part of that National Coin Week you mentioned. Good luck on your next hunt!
Thank you! Yep, that's what we're thinking, and it's neat to think perhaps I found a coin that was spent in the hopes of inspiring a new generation of collectors... like me!

Wow, That looks like a great roll. And I'm glad to see the little pig back.

Wow, That looks like a great roll. And I'm glad to see the little pig back.
It definitely was! Yep, Penny - named after our hobby of detecting for coins - wanted to get it on the fun, too. ;) Thanks, Levi!

***Update***

Back-to-back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts!

Today, I searched through 10 more rolls... and came across another minty wheat cent, this time a 1937. :wow2: Along with that, once again I found 3 other wheats. I commented to my brother Wolfie that God just gave me a duplicate of my best coin roll hunt! :woot:

The obverse/reverse of the 1937:
May CRH 1937 Wheatie (Combined - Resized).jpg

Comparison photos of the 1940-S & 1937:
May CRH 1940-S & 1937 Wheaties (Obverses - Resized).jpg
May CRH 1940-S & 1937 Wheaties (Reverses - Resized).jpg

Back-to-back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts!

Today, I searched through 10 more rolls... and came across another minty wheat cent, this time a 1937. :wow2: Along with that, once again I found 3 other wheats. I commented to my brother Wolfie that God just gave me a duplicate of my best coin roll hunt! :woot:

The obverse/reverse of the 1937:
View attachment 442866

Comparison photos of the 1940-S & 1937:
View attachment 442867
View attachment 442868
Thanks for the update and congrats on another cool wheatie! :woot:

*** See post #15 for update :grin: ***

On his weekly trip to the credit union for coins, Wolfie - as usual - picked up a few penny rolls for me, knowing I'm always thrilled to find a wheatie or two. :yes: My last several CRHs have been mostly skunks, but this one definitely made up for those.

My search through 10 rolls included four wheat cents (the most I've found in a single hunt!): 1953-D, 1955-D, 1956-D, and best of all, a beautifully pristine 1940-S! :woot: Since this coin hardly seems to have spent much time in circulation, I wonder if it was spent during National Coin Week. (That it's a San Francisco mint is an added bonus, as most of the wheats we come across are Denver or Philadelphia.) I was also happy to find several Lincoln Memorials that I needed for my coin folders (my favorite is a minty 1968-S), as well as a counterstamped 1973 penny with a male profile etched on the obverse.

For me, wheat cents are always fun to find, and the '40-S was a special treat... one I'm pretty excited about! :D Happy hunting to all of you, and God bless!

Those pennies are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom