Excalibur II coil fittings new idea

CW3

With the interchangeable fittings for the coils. To stop the fittings from leaking why not just extend or make a longer tube and put them inside the tube? Have an end cap mounted on each coil wire then switch the whole assembly. Have the interchangeable fittings so you don't need to solder to change coils.

Anybody have any thoughts on this. I know I'm about 6 years late to the modifying the Excalibur II but I'm here now and I'm not getting a nox.

They have that already I believe..let me see if I can find. It was made by Doc's detecting. It's basically a small plastic tube with two endcpas, like the excalibur...and has two heyco fittings like the excal. It's been out for about 15 years and has kind of faded from use. Nox has been most of the slow down in the excal.

Attachments

• coiltek15excali.jpg
    coiltek15excali.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 349
Hello Joe

I had a very bad experience with that fitting. I was on recovery call and the woman offered me $750. to find her ring. I was in neck deep water jumping up when the waves came in and the fitting leaked. Excal was unusable till dried out. I got the fitting when I bought a WOT coil.

I attached a bad picture, but I think you can get the point of my idea. Make a longer end cap for the excal. Out the bottom I would just have the battery cable. Out the top have the coil, pinpoint mod and headphone connector. With the longer end cap, have the connectors inside the excal tube. Make the end cap longer to hold the coil fittings inside the tube. I could build 3 end cap assemblies for the 8", 10" and WOT coils I have. Where the 3 wires exit the end cap just have a ctx connector for headphones and 2 heyco for the other 2 wires. I use a long straight rod so 90 percent of the time the top of the excal would be out of the water. If I go neck deep the top of the excal is submerged.

My only concern is interference with running the coil wire from the back to the front of the excal.

excal.jpg

Yes, I can't tell you how many I've seen from others that leaked.

On your endcap, that's a very good idea. The drawing made it much easier for me to understand, guess that's old age. It would be worth a try for you if you can get a endcap made. I've stopped all work so if you need any advice maybe I can help there. You would be fine on the coil wires coming from the other end. And I am sure 3 heyco's could be fitted to the endcap with no problems. Keep me informed. The good is all is sealed...

On a side note I had a similar idea, but mine was to run the amp I had for the excalibur from a extended endcap..the bad was the amp was to big for the endcap once it was done. It's still a on going project, And I should be working on it now with the extra time.

Attachments

• excal.jpg
    excal.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 310
I have my own mill, drill and lathe combo so the end cap is not a problem. I was just checking if anybody has done this before. My wife threw a last minute house project on me. In a couple weeks I will have time to get back on this project. I like being able to switch coils. My lakes are still froze over for the next couple weeks anyways.

Do you tell what amp your using or is that top secret? I need to get my excal to detect as deep as possible. My beaches are hit everyday by the locals who ither don't work or are retired. I want to go around to all the inland lake beaches to see if any gold is left they cannot hear with the lesser detectors. I hunt in pinpoint now just need every edge I can get.

Thanks
clare

I'm going to order some larger rod. I'll make an end cap able to hold an amp. I'm going to mess with a 2 piece and cap. I think I found the amp your using I'll try to order one this afternoon if they are still available.

I'm working a full time job so this will take a little time to get done.

Seems like a lot of work to accomplish the same thing by just drilling out an endcap and threading in a IP68 4 pin connector to it. I've done this many times without issue. Same thing with the headphone jack and so far, I have never had water issues.
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are doing but wouldnt you have to remove the endcap every time you want to change a coil?

Attachments

• endcap.jpg
    endcap.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 342
Seems like a lot of work to accomplish the same thing by just drilling out an endcap and threading in a IP68 4 pin connector to it. I've done this many times without issue. Same thing with the headphone jack and so far, I have never had water issues.
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are doing but wouldnt you have to remove the endcap every time you want to change a coil?

I agree, I never had a issue with the M-12 fittings either, but this would be different..

I do think I would just do the coil side endcap with the battery ikelite. Then all you would have is a coil and a Ikelite fitting connected to the endcap. Where as the other there would be the remote PP, coil, and headphones connected to the endcap. Like all things we have to test, and test..then decide.

Interesting.... I have 4 excaliburs. 2 had the m-12 fittings so I could change out the coils. One machine was so noisy even when the water was just a little rough. I figured it had to be the fitting, connection. So I took the m-12 fitting off and hard wired a different 10 inch coil on the machine. Did not fix the issue..still a noisy machine..Pulled the 10 inch coil off and put the 800 coil on..still noisy but it did improve. Took the machine and put the 10 inch back on but this time I tested it running under my drysuit..Almost silent.

I'm going to order some larger rod. I'll make an end cap able to hold an amp. I'm going to mess with a 2 piece and cap. I think I found the amp your using I'll try to order one this afternoon if they are still available.

I'm working a full time job so this will take a little time to get done.

The Amp's I have are considered afterburners. They increases the power to the coil...which needs it's own power supply. (6) 18650 batteries, 11.1 volts. Each Amp and battery setup fits in a small box.. which I run from under my drysuit.

I think the Amp you maybe talking about is Doc's treasure amp,...which is a audio amplifier,.... I am doing a set of headphones right now using it but not for my excalibur.........:secret:

I will just do the fitting in the end cap. I read somewhere they had the m12 fitting leak in rough waves. I was on 2 recovery calls last year and had water going over my head.

I will just build it and try it. I'm thinking on hard wiring the pinpoint with the battery on bottom end. Have headphones and coil connect on top end. That way they will be out of the water about 80 percent of the time.

I will check into the afterburner amps. Thanks joe

Thanks for the info everybody.

It's going to be interesting this year. Everything is a record water levels. The beaches that used to be 70 feet wide are 10 feet wide now. Some beaches are completely gone. Houses are falling in the water.

Be Safe! And Good Luck!..

Your on the Great Lakes I guess. My daugther is in Chicago..same thing. Water levels here are insane also, but we have tides. So I can play them, someday again I hope.

Yes Joe, I live in a tourist town in northern Michigan.

I stopped at one of the beaches I detect and found this. The parking lot washed out.

road 11.jpg

I'm going to make the standard setup just to get the thing back together and able to switch coils. I'll mess around with the 2 piece end cap like the first picture. I'm going to have the coil wire coming out the side of the end cap and pointing forward. I will figure the best place for the headphone connector. I don't like them straight out the back. I keep bumping them when transporting.

Yes Joe, I live in a tourist town in northern Michigan.

I stopped at one of the beaches I detect and found this. The parking lot washed out.

View attachment 462551
Wow! That's crazy! Be Safe! And Good Luck on all, post us a final shot on your machine. It's going to be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom