Help wanted

Hi, I have just bought my first MD it is a Smart Sensor ar924m and I can't get my head round it at all . Can anybody help ?

Where was it purchased ? Not trying to sound demeaning but you would probably be better off returning and trading it for a more reputable brand detector since you seem like you have a true interest in the hobby. My wife bought me (with best intentions) one of those Chinese brand machines and it never worked. Luckily, I had some experience with detectors and ended up trading it for a different one. Not all inexpensive detectors are bad and you can get one for around $100 bucks that will actually find stuff. If you want to start out without investing a lot of money you could check out Bounty Hunter metal detectors. They can be purchased at some large chain sporting goods stores and they will work. I recently bought a Tesoro Amigo II for $25 on a local garage sale site and it's a good little machine. It's not real deep (5-6 inches on a dime) but it performs nicely and works perfectly. Good luck with your entry into this wonderful hobby. You have your membership and a friend to go detecting with so you are way ahead of the game. Now, just get a decent machine and start swinging.

Yea, what you have there is a problem detector.
It is Chinese which can be hit or miss in function and quality and either yours is just broken or is functioning as well as it can.
This company says it can hit a dime at 24" which is an out and out lie so this does not bode well.

It happens, many have made a mistake on their first but sucked it up, took some advice from more knowledgeable types and rebooted.
If you can get your money back that would be great, if not all is not lost.

There are so many out there at all prices and many that don't cost a whole lot that many folks started with and did pretty good.
Eventually some upgrade to others with more features but they always have fond memories of their first if it works and they spend time learning it.

Don't know what you have left in the bank or even if you are willing to try again but this is one many started with around here and comes highly recommended for the low price.
Order from their website and you can use the 40% off coupon or print it out and take it into a local store and use it there.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

Just one of several at $150 or less that will actually work.

If you can't get this one working I hope it doesn't stop you from getting into this hobby.
It is a great one when you use tools that work.

Did it come with a manual? If so reread it several times. I'd just forget the manufacturer's claims and experiment with it. Place some different coins on the ground and try different settings and use what works the best for you. Practice pinpointing and retrieving you find without leaving a mess. Always fill your holes and don't leave trash on the ground.

Today’s coin hunting machines,even the high end ones, are limited by physics to around 10-12” with ANY size coil in average turf. You will not find coins deeper and not many even at those depths. A machine from a more well known manufacturer will have literature,forums and past users experiences to help you out. Whites,Garrett,Tesoro,Minelab,Nokta,Fisher and others are just a few.
You wouldn’t want to learn to drive in a car with 2 flat tires,a shattered windshield and 1 gear. Starting with something you KNOW is a good machine or something sketchy will make or break you. It very well may give you the impression that you can’t find what you’d like to find,while that may not be the case at all if you had started with the right machine.
It’s a great hobby, don’t sabotage yourself...

Thanks for all your advice and comments and after realising I bought a load of rubbish, I have bit the bullet and ordered a Fisher F44. I don't know if they are any good but for more than £350 I should hope so.

Thanks for all your advice and comments and after realising I bought a load of rubbish, I have bit the bullet and ordered a Fisher F44. I don't know if they are any good but for more than £350 I should hope so.

Excellent rebound!

You done good !!!! The F44 should perform nicely for you. Good luck with your new machine and welcome to the hobby !!!

Now THAT will get you going in the right direction!:grin:
Well done...

Back
Top Bottom