gold necklace

Steve

Forum Supporter
Took some of my gold finds and decided to make a new necklace. Added some photos of making it for those interested.
Turned out pretty good.
All these rings were from a recent expedition. Sometimes just get lucky ;)

Surprisingly enough I fit my TDI, CTX, scoop and CF travel shaft all into 1 suitcase with room to spare for waders.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 713
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 733
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Although its gorgeous that "S" closure system (lack thereof) would scare me from wearing it. It doesn't seem secure to me.

Although its gorgeous that "S" closure system (lack thereof) would scare me from wearing it. It doesn't seem secure to me.

Sadly its the only way to keep the whole chain pure gold. if you made a 24k lobster claw the stainless spring would push through the gold in a couple uses. Also if 24k doesn't have an S hook not many would believe it was real. Guy who owns my favorite Pizza place said he bought the 24k chain he wears at a discount. Every time I see that lobster claw clasp he has on it I think quietly."I think he got ripped off":shock::lol:
Edit.... NICE CHAIN STEVE! 100 grams:wow:

Sadly its the only way to keep the whole chain pure gold. if you made a 24k lobster claw the stainless spring would push through the gold in a couple uses. Also if 24k doesn't have an S hook not many would believe it was real. Guy who owns my favorite Pizza place said he bought the 24k chain he wears at a discount. Every time I see that lobster claw clasp he has on it I think quietly."I think he got ripped off":shock::lol:

Thanks. Believe it or not that clasp is super strong. When I find necklaces or bracelets here it's usually a link that breaks not the clasp

OK, learned something new here.

Thanks. Believe it or not that clasp is super strong. When I find necklaces or bracelets here it's usually a link that breaks not the clasp

My concern wouldn't be breakage it would be you do some weird movement, jump up and down, whatever and it would just come undone. I found a nice silver chain recently and that's the system it used.

Yeah the two 24k I found was likely bent out a bit from someone horsing around. Then when the hook gets down in front of you it can come loose. But 10 and 14k chains we find let loose at the o ring when someone is horsing around. Mine have the W hooks and if you squeeze it closed it isn't coming off.

My concern wouldn't be breakage it would be you do some weird movement, jump up and down, whatever and it would just come undone. I found a nice silver chain recently and that's the system it used.

One i found before I learned you need to squeeze the clasp closed rolled around to the front. Hook came undone quick. Before id worry about keeping the hook squeezed closed making it softer id buy some spare hooks. By the way. In some countries they use chains as a money source. In other words ou need something you hand over your gold chain. One I found was just under a troy ounce. The wear on the chain lightens them. The way you make it a troy ounce again is by adding a heavier S or W hook. Imagine handing over a 24k chain for a wheelbarrow?:laughing:

What a beautiful Chain there Buddy! Well Done! Nothing like seeing 100gr of 24k to give a guy the galloping shudders...:laughing: Something like that, if a guy lost everything except that chain, its enough to go someplace else and start over...

Yeah the two 24k I found was likely bent out a bit from someone horsing around. Then when the hook gets down in front of you it can come loose. But 10 and 14k chains we find let loose at the o ring when someone is horsing around. Mine have the W hooks and if you squeeze it closed it isn't coming off.
It's not uncommon to use a clear thread similar to fishing line to wrap around the 1 clasp a couple of times.

What a beautiful Chain there Buddy! Well Done! Nothing like seeing 100gr of 24k to give a guy the galloping shudders...:laughing: Something like that, if a guy lost everything except that chain, its enough to go someplace else and start over...

Thanks Mud.... sadly I'm still waiting to find a massive necklace like the 1 you found

Now THAT would make a nice Valentines present for some lucky girl :P

Just WOW!!

How did you make that?? WOW!!

Took some of my gold finds and decided to make a new necklace. Added some photos of making it for those interested.
Turned out pretty good.
All these rings were from a recent expedition. Sometimes just get lucky ;)

Surprisingly enough I fit my TDI, CTX, scoop and CF travel shaft all into 1 suitcase with room to spare for waders.

Do you have a wire drawing machine? I can see you melted in a cruicible, but how'd the rest of the process work for you?

Skippy

Yes, please detail how you made it. You must be a professional or at least had some professional training.

(are those 2 MAP gas feeds I see? what is your crucible made of?)

That's a Bucket lister there buddy! Well done, I would not even know where to start on a project like that.

That's a Bucket lister there buddy! Well done, I would not even know where to start on a project like that.

Thanks Joe. Most necklaces use a mold. Crack the molds and weld the pieces together. The links on this necklace have to be hand made using something similar to a press.
Just to be clear I didn't make this necklace. A project like this is way beyond my skill. Molds are 1 thing. Link by link by hand is another

Back
Top Bottom