• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A "Matronly" Whizzer...

DoctorWhy

I was out today with a 6" coil on the CTX 3030 at an old cellar hole site that has yielded a couple (1814 Nova Scotia and 1816 Matron) coppers. Sifting through the iron noise around the rim of the cellar hole, I had a clean, strong, high tone. Here's what I dug from 6" down. Like most detectorists, I enjoy finding old coins. But for me, better yet is to find a personal artifact. The large cent appears to be a "Matron Head" (1816-1839) but unfortunately without a readable date. At sometime, maybe 200 years ago, someone took this Matron Head cent, punched two holes, threaded a string and thereby created a "whizzer" toy. I like to think some child in the early 1800's enjoyed and was entertained by this artifact.

Happy hunting,
--Bert

Attachments

• LargeCent_MatronHead_Wizzer_Smalls_9-2019_sm.jpg
    LargeCent_MatronHead_Wizzer_Smalls_9-2019_sm.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 657
Congrats on your finds Bert .Your post title " Matronly " Whizzer had me picturing up something completely different .:lol:
I envy you Eastern guys with all that older history to hunt . Best of luck on your future adventures .

Congrats, Bert. I'm of a like opinion, coins are great, but artifacts that tell a story are more interesting. You got both there.

Back
Top Bottom