oldest house in town

Bounder

I got the ok from the owner of the oldest house in seward, Illinois to detect his yard. The house is next to a parsonage and a church. The sidewalk is so old, it has sunk below ground level. I expected great things here but the photo shows what I got. The oldest penny is a 1969, the newer is 1992. The jackknife is in really sad shape and the rest of the stuff is pure trash. Why do people bury cans?

Attachments

• 0813181302.jpg
    0813181302.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 412
Looking at that finds pile I'm guessing that place has been hunted hard previously. At least ya got out and got permission. Permissions have been tough to come by around here lately.

I agree...I think someone hit that before but I gotta say you really worked hard getting all that iron out. Im sure you'll be rewarded with a gold ring next time. ;)

maybe not hard hit

The old guy said he has been living there for 40 years and he never wanted anyone to go digging in his yard. The only reason I got in there at all was because his brother saw me detecting in a lake area and he told him he couldn't see where I had dug. I took special care with this guys yard in case it leads to some more oks. It would still have been good fun if it wasn't so danged hot.

You can never tell what you will find in a permission. You just might not find anything. I hunted my parents house (build in 1909). I know I was the only one to ever hunt it (I grew up in the house) and found a merc, a few wheats, and a couple of buffs. That is it. The house next door (built in 1894) - I was the only one to ever search that place. Found a 1979 dime and an old clock key. That is all. Boggles the mind really.

Some people didn't have money and others didn't have kids. I find way more stuff on properties that had numerous kids. I just hit two 1890s houses back to back and found few coins. Mostly iron and trash. No signs of fill dirt. Just the way it goes sometimes!

detector

I'm using a bounty hunter quicksilver. I have even detected and dug up a bb gun bb. Those cans were about 4 inches down but they are pretty big. I also have a bounty hunter 1100.

Now you have the junk out of the way maybe you can find the old silver.

You should definitely head back there again soon and go back over the area for the after sweep win of old silver coins, Indians, and Wheaties!

old yard

I do plan to hit the yard again before winter and just yesterday I got an invitation from a woman who owns a small farm to detect her place. My wife knows her and will visit with her while I hunt. She says they knocked down the old house and built the present one. She is going to show me where things were. I've got my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom