Beach scam

"Hope you are an intimidating looking guy! Wouldn't want a bunch of beach bums to beat you up over a ring that does not exist!"

First of all, they will not do that with the police present... second, I am martial arts trained and carry a gun. I do not look for trouble, but will deal with it if I must. RickO

I hit the beach at Santa Cruz about twice a month. The place is littered with bums. On two different occasions, I've had similar "ring" and "What have you found?" approaches.

Fortunately, I'm blessed with the ability and looks to turn on a "F...Y..." attitude when needed. Bums get the idea rather quickly.

When the old "Whatcha doin?" question comes from a bum, the agressive reply: "Minding my own business." works well.

That's not to say that I don't really enjoy the 5 year old who asks the same question...I do. Yesterday, a tot (with parents close by) ask me if I'd look for his daddy's glasses. When I asked where he lost them, he told me "somewhere at work". PRICELESS!!!! Dad was laughing too.

:lol: I really like the answers you used :lol:... Yes, the one from the 5 yr old is PRICELESS, I love it :yes:... Art Linkletter used to have a show "Kids Say the Darnest Things." :lol:
~Audrey~

Write a note and date it- print it out or have it laminated so anyone reading it will know you didn't just write it. The note should say something to this effect ...

"It is my standard practice to tell everyone who asks that I just found a platinum diamond ring with the inscription BF and the date 04/01/02. This is so I know who the dishonest people are when they try to claim it."

Keep the note on you. Tell anyone who asks that you found a ring and describe the ring in your note. If anyone tries to claim the ring later, tell them that you will only release it to a police officer. Hopefully, they'll come back with a cop and you can hand the officer the note. Then stand back and enjoy the show. :lol:

***** Five stars for that one.
laugh.gif

When you hunt Jacksonville Fl beaches you are accosted every day with some type of scam, I have developed an attitude that says " go screw with someone else, I am dangerous" rascal

These are the people I consider the lowest of low, i will remember this story

I remember this whole discussion when I found my ring in St. Augustine.... It was the first ring I ever found and in my excitemtent I had no problem showing the people that were near me when I found it... I kinda gave myself away by the big "Wooooohoooo"... it was a nice family that had asked me about "any luck" before I found it... the guy was curious about detecting and I answered alot of his questions... When I got back to my wife I showed here... a very large "schwarzenegger" accented guy asked what I found because my wife was oogling over it... He then told me that he had lost a very thick 18k eagle ring and was just curious if it might have been his... I don't believe he was trying to scam me, he was very nice and I talked to him each day after that when we saw him at the beach....but.... I did learn a valuable lesson from the folks on here... I had never considered being scammed, but I saw how easily it could be done... the rest of the rings I found at the beach I never said a word to anyone about... besides the locals didn't like the fact that I was on their turf anyway!

Back
Top Bottom