$$$$ Would you return it?

popatop

Lets say that you find an item, Maybe a ring for example and to keep it interesting lets throw in some greed or temptation factor and say that it is worth 10 - 20 or maybe even $30,00.00 or maybe it's just a class ring that originally sold for a few hundred dollars, Bottom line this ring means alot to some one and you can tell it is a fresh drop. What would you do? Would you claim finders keepers or would you make an effort to find the owner by searching adds etc or maybe even posting an add of your own which didn't include a detailed description of said ring ? Keep in mind that there may or may not be a name engraved in the ring as i want to cover all possible angles to the find here. I would like to keep this as not a legality question but strictly a moral question ( What would you do ) without hearing well they probably had insurance.
I look forward to your replies

Lets say that you find an item, Maybe a ring for example and to keep it interesting lets throw in some greed or temptation factor and say that it is worth 10 - 20 or maybe even $30,00.00 or maybe it's just a class ring that originally sold for a few hundred dollars, Bottom line this ring means alot to some one and you can tell it is a fresh drop. What would you do? Would you claim finders keepers or would you make an effort to find the owner by searching adds etc or maybe even posting an add of your own which didn't include a detailed description of said ring ? Keep in mind that there may or may not be a name engraved in the ring as i want to cover all possible angles to the find here. I would like to keep this as not a legality question but strictly a moral question ( What would you do ) without hearing well they probably had insurance.
I look forward to your replies

So show us the ring :laughing:

I'd keep the ring, sell it and waste the money on frivolous junk I don't need. To hell with the owner. Should've done a better job keeping your precious ring "safe"

lets see if anyone is stupid enough to jump all over my comment without seeing this white text. I'm KIDDING...ya bunch of savages!

popatop, well, forget value for a moment. I mean, so what $100, $1000, or $10,000. In each and every case, your question essentially remains the same. You're getting dangerously close to us all having to ask ourselves: why do we even detect?

You've said to keep it off legalities, and you've made a key-point of saying it's a "fresh drop". But ... if that were on the wet beach, (for example) how would you know "fresh drop" ? We all know that the wet-sand is constantly re-arranging. Especially after storms can bring up silver coins, for instance, to be shallow. So how do you know? Heck, even in turf, there's been silver coins found on top, d/t a gopher brought them up.

Or did you mean found on a sidewalk? You see the infinate shades of grey?

If you're saying to keep legal talk (L&F laws) out of it, then my answer would be, that if I could truly know (strong reason to suspect) it was a fresh drop, then yes, I'd check CL lost ads, or run an ad myself. But this assumes "fresh drop". That's highly speculative ! Also if you're talking valuable stones, then be aware that some have micro-laser inscriptions which can be traced back to buyers, insurer's marks, etc... visible only under extreme magnification.

Im in the process of returning a 42 year old class ring as we speak. Found it friday and contacted the school that night. I assume it means more to the owner than that few hundred bucks would to me

popatop, well, forget value for a moment. I mean, so what $100, $1000, or $10,000. In each and every case, your question essentially remains the same. You're getting dangerously close to us all having to ask ourselves: why do we even detect?

You've said to keep it off legalities, and you've made a key-point of saying it's a "fresh drop". But ... if that were on the wet beach, (for example) how would you know "fresh drop" ? We all know that the wet-sand is constantly re-arranging. Especially after storms can bring up silver coins, for instance, to be shallow. So how do you know? Heck, even in turf, there's been silver coins found on top, d/t a gopher brought them up.

Or did you mean found on a sidewalk? You see the infinate shades of grey?

If you're saying to keep legal talk (L&F laws) out of it, then my answer would be, that if I could truly know (strong reason to suspect) it was a fresh drop, then yes, I'd check CL lost ads, or run an ad myself. But this assumes "fresh drop". That's highly speculative ! Also if you're talking valuable stones, then be aware that some have micro-laser inscriptions which can be traced back to buyers, insurer's marks, etc... visible only under extreme magnification.

I understand that you may not know a fresh find on the beach. Im talking an obvious fresh find that you in your mind has no doubt about it hasn't been there long.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no ring. Just stirring up the 'morality police' pot again.

Not stirring the pot as i am the original poster and i truely want and ask that the thread to stay civil. This is a valid question and nobody is obligated to reply if they choose not to.

well..... to me class rings , military rings and personal type customs like that should at least try to find the owner....but if i found a $30,000. platinum ring with a large stone....AAARRrRRrhhhhh.... i become a pirate!
:pirate:

I've thought about this before your question came up. I'd return it, but I would like a clear picture of the ring and a picture of me handing it back to the owner. That's not to much to ask in return is it?

I personally would not post an ad myself but rather search for ads. If the ring is significant to the person who lost it then they would make an attempt to find it. If the ring is high in value then chances are they have insurance on it and it will be replaced. I would have no issues keeping a ring of value if after making a decent attempt to find the owner had failed.

~Are you still focused on DoctorTecter's ring? Let it go buddy ;)

I've thought about this before your question came up. I'd return it, but I would like a clear picture of the ring and a picture of me handing it back to the owner. That's not to much to ask in return is it?

I don't think that is asking much at all.
Thanks for your reply.

I personally would not post an ad myself but rather search for ads. If the ring is significant to the person who lost it then they would make an attempt to find it. If the ring is high in value then chances are they have insurance on it and it will be replaced. I would have no issues keeping a ring of value if after making a decent attempt to find the owner had failed.

~Are you still focused on DoctorTecter's ring? Let it go buddy ;)

Thats what im doing. I contacted the school for help whereas i have the initials. If no luck returning it...then its mine. Just my own perogative

Back
Top Bottom