My new permission yields some coins

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In the past I have lamented on the lack of old coins in the North Atlanta area as compared to those found up in the northern states. Many of my friends have tended to agree with me.

But my new permission I secured two weeks ago was a late 1800 or early 1900 home up near Ball Ground, Georgia.

First I hunted the small front yard with my Nox 800 and 6 inch coil near the foundation of the house and cracks in a brick sidewalk. Found some memorials and that was all. Then I searched the whole small front yard with finding just some old junk, but promising. Brass suspender clip, old screw in metal fuse.

Next I hunted the front yard with the stock coil and within minutes a buffalo nickel about 6" down rang up a 13. Next after about 15 minutes another good but deep target. About nine inches down among some tough tree roots, it looked like a quarter but did not feel like a quarter and I could not ID it on the site as you can see from the picture. But I thought maybe a large cent. Later washing it off with some water I could barely make out that it was a Canadian large cent.

As you can see from the first photo, this coin was not going to impress any friend or family member but I was excited. My first large cent of any kind. Not an early American large cent but I will take what I can dig up.

I soaked it in vinegar and salt to no effect and then tried backing soda and vinegar and no results. Still looked crappy.

Then I remembered a great polish I had that I used to work with restoring old bakelite radio cabnets that was rather expensive. So I dabbed some of it on the coin and fired up the Dremel tool with a small soft brush on the end. Now you can clearly see what type of coin and with no damage to the coin.

This was a 1919 Canadian Cent that was not destined to be cleaned, but this polish and Dremel tool did a remarkable job after 10 minutes of work.

I am super happy with the find with hopefully more to come from that permission and also happy with the cleanup.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 392
Nicely done!

Oldest dug coins- 1912 Wheatie, 1936 Buff, 1943 Merc, 1918 SLQ, 1929 Canada Large Cent

Wow, that really did wonders! Good ol' simichrome. Used to polish tiny, stainless steel, extreme precision moving machine parts with that stuff. Never thought it would work on a crusty old coin. I really need to get a Dremel set. :yes:
Oh yeah...congrats on the large cent! :wow:

In the past I have lamented on the lack of old coins in the North Atlanta area as compared to those found up in the northern states. Many of my friends have tended to agree with me.....

Good post. And yes, you and your friends are not the first to perceive this .

Some buddies of mine from here on the west coast have made sport of flying into the east coast, a time or two per year, for a decade or so now. And they get a rental car and do nothing but turf-hunt at all the towns they randomly drive through. And they noticed that they do much better @ the northern state's parks (upstate NY, VT, CT, PA, MA, etc..) , than the southern states parks (NC, SC, GA, etc...).

Good post. And yes, you and your friends are not the first to perceive this .

Some buddies of mine from here on the west coast have made sport of flying into the east coast, a time or two per year, for a decade or so now. And they get a rental car and do nothing but turf-hunt at all the towns they randomly drive through. And they noticed that they do much better @ the northern state's parks (upstate NY, VT, CT, PA, MA, etc..) , than the southern states parks (NC, SC, GA, etc...).

Do you have to pay any commissions to anyone in the North or the South when you stray out of CA?

Congrats on the largie, a beautiful coin and sweet find. Was that Simichrome you used ? HH Mark

yes, it is quite good for a number of reasons.

Main reason I used it for was to determine if colored bakelite radio cases were plastic or the real deal catalin. If you rubbed a cloth with Simichrome on the case the real catalin would come off on the cloth a yellowish color and thus determine that it was worth a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom