Found first coin!!-How do I clean it?

I got a date on the coin
it is.........1991

It's a start! Put it away and keep it somewhere you wont mix it up with all the other coins you're going to find. If you're looking to start collecting coins or want to know an approximate value, I would recommend the big red us coin book. That books has loads of information and can help you decide which coins to keep and which ones to trade for cash.

I'm very surprised that all these seasoned detectorist did not warn you about cleaning coins, it takes the value away.Come on guys, you know that.:laughing:

Well that one looks like a crusty zink memorial penny.

This is what happens when your government makes money out of !!!! instead of silver copper or gold .
Set that one aside and get out there and find some pre-1982 pennies and you will find they hold up much better being made of copper.

Congradulations on your first coin . I would say finding a nice old jar will come in handy as you will be a coin shooter in no time .

There is a guy named Felix on this forum that pays top dollar for this 82 and newer pennies so I'm saving mine .
Also handy in bulk for paying taxes .
Happy hunting đź‘Ť
Looking forward to the next report .
,Dew

I got a date on the coin
it is.........1991

Great job digging your first coin! That's exciting! My first was also a Lincoln memorial (1975-D, to be exact :))... I kept it for the unique sentimental value. Congrats on reaching that milestone, and keep up the good work! :waytogo:

To answer your question regarding the proper cleaning of this coin, simply swallow it!...Put it on your tongue like a necco wafer or a communion host and toss it on back!....Let your innards gently massage it....Then catch it in a spaghetti strainer or a vegetable collander when it comes out....

This is what we all do!...One guy a few years back did this treatment with a license plate!...One guy did this with the engine block off a 47 Hudson! You will get used to it...after all, its just a penny...:laughing:.

congratulations on your first coin. Pretty soon it will be silver coins. Then it will be gold coins . Bucket-listers will fly by. Before you know it: Any gold coin newer than 1900 will bore you to tears. :laughing:

And .... seeing as how you are from CA, you know the forum rules: 30% of all your finds go to me . As for how to clean that corroded zinc : Someone will come along with sage advice I'm sure.

Tom... you've REALLY got to start being more specific. I know I've called this out to you. "30% of your finds go to me" Man... I find well over 50% trash. you can have all that!

Add some qualifier like "valuable finds" or "good finds" or even "precious metal finds". But just 30% of all your finds... it leaves too much room!.

And to the original poster:

We don't clean zinc pennies very often. Some folks tumble them. I wash them off with the other pennies and if they don't go through coin-star they get tossed.

Back
Top Bottom