• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

NEL Thunder Coil for AT Pro

bukhtr1

I have a Garrett AT Pro and am considering a NEL Thunder Coil upgrade. Can anyone share experiences on how they like theirs or recommendations? I mostly am interested in civil war relics so appreciate any thoughts!

Nel thunder coil

Standard coil with cover weighs 20.2 oz
thunder coil with cover weighs 22.9 oz

Not that much difference but if you are hunting in water the size of the coil makes quite a difference in swinging it.

I have a Garrett AT Pro and am considering a NEL Thunder Coil upgrade. Can anyone share experiences on how they like theirs or recommendations? I mostly am interested in civil war relics so appreciate any thoughts!
The ultimate 13" coil on my At Max found some deep civil war bullets in my beat up spot. It also won the Garretts finds contest using this combo. I dug an early militia button among some iron. Weight difference in coils didn't bother me. Good luck if you decide on the thunder coil.

Thank you all - I have an Garrett AT Pro.

I have an AT Pro and Thunder coil. It's definitely a few inches deeper if the soil conditions allow it. I've done back to back testing on "real life" deep coin targets pre-dig and the Thunder would pull a signal together that was scratchier on the stock coil and the 5x8 couldn't hit at all or gave a whisper that would never get your attention. What looks like a small weight different on paper feels like a lot more on the end of shaft. Let it glide on the ground if you can. It provides good separation due to the elongated shape. Covers a lot of ground. I like to use it to cover ground and search for hot spots, but it's good if you have evidence of a deeper target layer, too.

I pulled the trigger and also bought a Storm for my AT Pro. I went back to a colonial home sight and pulled out some deep flat buttons and a 1761 Swedish 1 OR copper previously missed. These were deep readings not heard by my factory coil. Anyhow, I was impressed but I must say, after a couple of hours of swinging that coil, I can sure feel the burn.

Back
Top Bottom