Radio Orphan Annie Secret Society decoder badge

I think it is

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Made of brass. Suggestions on best method of cleaning?

c0410d4f1e76e4c6b59f48af9416c95a.jpg
00851e64a2631e0dce7b83dbac7f8d70.jpg

Interesting, I found one of those "decoders". Mine is different. The one I found is intact (front and back). Clearly say's R O A on the back. The front however shows a flag in the background with an eagle holding one sword in each talon. Letters around the circumference on both top and bottom pieces.
My find was ironic as well, my brother (my hunting partner) spent Christmas together with "Christmas Story" playing all day. We both commented, "it's funny we've never found one of those decoders. Low and behold, a week later, in a crop field, I popped one out. I don't think mine was a badge, more like a small hockey puk shaped item. Maybe they had badges and "table top" decoders.

Interesting, I found one of those "decoders". Mine is different. The one I found is intact (front and back). Clearly say's R O A on the back. The front however shows a flag in the background with an eagle holding one sword in each talon. Letters around the circumference on both top and bottom pieces.
My find was ironic as well, my brother (my hunting partner) spent Christmas together with "Christmas Story" playing all day. We both commented, "it's funny we've never found one of those decoders. Low and behold, a week later, in a crop field, I popped one out. I don't think mine was a badge, more like a small hockey puk shaped item. Maybe they had badges and "table top" decoders.

Just looked it up. Different years had different designs. Very cool.

To answer your question; if it were me, I'd get a small (toothbrush size) brass brush and use that. One of the softer brushes, any hardware store, Home Depot etc. You're not going to damage it, it's not worth anything and it will buff that baby up just right. Post a pic when done. I wonder how many others have found these things.

I agree that there is no value to this find, but the coolness factor makes me want to clean it up and feature it in my collection.

Going to get to scrubbing and will see how it turns out.

Theres is a listing on Amazon for it at $135.oo.....That's a Very Collectible piece when Carefully cleaned

Theres is a listing on Amazon for it at $135.oo.....That's a Very Collectible piece when Carefully cleaned
They are going on eBay for $15-25 in great condition. If the decoder book is included the price jumps up a fair amount.

It is intact and the parts turn. It is just dirty and a bit worn. Going to be difficult to get the grime out of the inner workings of the back.

Well in that case, your call. Myself, I'd clean er up and display proudly. If I was in this to pocket a couple bucks, I'd a quit long ago. I sold a dug coin once, a 1795 US half dollar. Got a coil, some other goodies for other hobbies etc. I regret it to this day. It was pretty good money though.

Cool piece. I found a 1937 one about 5 years ago. I would go with the brass brush to clean it up. maybe a little baking soda paste after you use the wire brush.

I started to clean it up and to my horror it came apart! On further inspection it snaps back together easily and I can fix it with minimal effort.

So far it is looking a lot better than before.
d486e8655010eaca76b34153d23dee12.jpg
762befcf68fca48ba253ca27e6c06010.jpg
453347f8e324f71ed94d9c2d22b4f3ba.jpg
ad02467e01a3de23bf95b8546cc4ee8a.jpg

Very cool. I checked mine, it's a 1940 version. Not only do you have a cool display piece, you can now decode secret messages. Who doesn't need that!

Looking Good...Now you have to find an Old Radio that has the Orphan Annie commercials and get The Secrat Codes

Back
Top Bottom