I May Be Wrong In This Issue But. . .

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
Correct Me If I'm Out Of Line!

Here's the situation: My mortgage company sent my February payment BACK to me DAMAGED. They received it damaged but all information necessary to enter it MANUALLY was there but they returned it to me instead requesting another check. The catch is -- will the second check arrive before the "PENALTY" date -- this Friday the 16th when they will assess a LATE FEE of $13.90! Hey it wasn't my fault.

I called them and was told that the late fee could be waived IF I have not had any late fees assessed on my account in the last 24 months. Of course, I haven't so it would be waived. But here's the catch -- through no fault of mine, it will be waived but if it happens again in the NEXT 24 months from now it can't be waived again. They only allow a waiver to be done only once in 24 months! And I was told that it could not be entered manually that their system was all AUTOMATED! All checks, etc. are SCANNED! Hey! Really! It takes a human hand to PUT them in the scanner. Seems to me that SAME hand could have MANUALLY entered it into the computer DUH! It takes a "HUMAN" to get the scanner going! Yeah! Whatever! Just sounds to me like LAZINESS!

By the way, I received a letter with my returned check and coupon. That letter had to be typed by someone -- why didn't THAT person enter the information from my check and coupon!?! Hmmm?

Now on my part -- when I sent the "reissued check" to them today (hoping it will get there before Friday the 16th), I COULD have sent it OVERNIGHT or SPECIAL DELIVERY but truthfully that probably would have cost MORE than the LATE FEE. So I sent it regular mail.

Ain't automation wonderful! That's probably what damaged my envelope, check and coupon to begin with!

Okay, enough said. I'll get off my soapbox! :mad:

All this technology we have today just seems to make the workforce of today lazier and stupider. People won't do any more than they have to. There's no real ambition to excel , or go out of their way to help anyone.

I would call customer service and complain.
Tomorrow I would call customer service and complain.
Wednesday I would call customer service and complain.
Thursday same thing. Friday same thing.
Eventually they will get tired of you calling and drop the late fee.

No mortgage but we pay all our other bills thru their online bill pay option, that way we don't have to worry about it getting there on time or lost or damaged.

I would call customer service and complain.
Tomorrow I would call customer service and complain.
Wednesday I would call customer service and complain.
Thursday same thing. Friday same thing.
Eventually they will get tired of you calling and drop the late fee.

I did talk to customer service about all this today. And THEY are the ones who told me it was all automated and nothing could be done. She said that IF it arrived after the 16th a late fee would AUTOMATICALLY be assessed that a waiver had to be requested after the fact not before it was put on.

And guess what even if they do REMOVE the late fee, the waiver will still remain on my record for the next 24 months so that IF it should happen again within that 24 months nothing can be done about it. Nice my account will have a record of a waiver for the next 24 months -- it better not happen again before February 2020 because they won't waive it and I'll have to pay that one.

In 20 years I or my husband (now deceased) have never been late making a payment on this house! But now there will be ONE late fee assessed on file even though it will be waived! It doesn't disappear -- it becomes a permanent part my file (even though I didn't have to pay it). Just dandy! :mad:

That is just NOT right. Raise a big stink, call corporate headquarters. Someone will listen, and if they don't call the BBB and report them.

Big companies think they can do anything, but they can't. I had Verizon wireless say I didn't pay a bill, the manager took my word and when my check came back he apologized.

I am very sorry about your husbands passing, but that does not give them the right to take advantage of you. It happens way to often and it really pisses me off.

That is just NOT right. Raise a big stink, call corporate headquarters. Someone will listen, and if they don't call the BBB and report them.

Big companies think they can do anything, but they can't. I had Verizon wireless say I didn't pay a bill, the manager took my word and when my check came back he apologized.

I am very sorry about your husbands passing, but that does not give them the right to take advantage of you. It happens way to often and it really pisses me off.

I will wait and PRAY that the mail service doesn't screw up again and it will arrive BEFORE the 16th! Surely it won't happen twice in a row! As for my husband, it's not a recent passing -- 8 years this month, actually.

I found out something else about that late fee being on my "record" -- it will affect the ability to apply for a credit card (don't want anymore cards -- working to get rid of the cards I've got -- just paid off one this month), or if I buy another house (not happening) or if I plan to purchase another vehicle (yeah, that's an option in the near future but that may not be a possibility when it's learned that I have a record of a late fee which will affect my credit). :mad:

Last edited:
Electronic payment is the way to go because you have immediate confirmation and zero mail cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electronic payment is the way to go because you have immediate confirmation and zero mail cost.

Not an option in my case. I'm on SS and my check arrives on the 3rd (or the Friday before if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday). The payment is ACTUALLY DUE on the 1st. And I had talked to them about auto pay at one time and they said that it would have to be done ON THE 1st every month. I explained about when my check would come in and they would not give and allow it to be done later than the 1st. Their reason was that it is done AUTOMATICALLY and the "SYSTEM" takes the payment on the ACTUAL DUE DATE and they can't change it. So I would forever be overdrawn on the first of the month. My bank allows one overdraw without penalty. Try explaining it would be happening monthly. No thank you!

Again, I'll say AIN'T AUTOMATION WONDERFUL!:mad:

Not an option in my case. I'm on SS and my check arrives on the 3rd (or the Friday before if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday). The payment is ACTUALLY DUE on the 1st. And I had talked to them about auto pay at one time and they said that it would have be done ON THE 1st every month. I explained about when my check would come in and they would not give and allow it to be done later than the 1st. Their reason was that it is done AUTOMATICALLY and the "system" takes the payment on the ACTUAL DUE DATE and they can't change it. So I would forever be overdrawn on the first of the month. My bank allows one overdraw without penalty. Try explaining it would be happening monthly. No thank you!

Again, I'll say AIN'T AUTOMATION WONDERFUL!

I’m not talking auto pay. Just going to their website each month to make a payment that way you have control allowing you to make the payment on the day you wish with immediate confirmation. That’s how I used to pay Wells Fargo when I had a mortgage.

I’m not talking auto pay. Just going to their website each month to make a payment that way you have control allowing you to make the payment on the day you wish with immediate confirmation. That’s how I used to pay Wells Fargo when I had a mortgage.

:grin: OK!

Not an option in my case. I'm on SS and my check arrives on the 3rd (or the Friday before if it falls on a Saturday or Sunday). The payment is ACTUALLY DUE on the 1st. And I had talked to them about auto pay at one time and they said that it would have to be done ON THE 1st every month. I explained about when my check would come in and they would not give and allow it to be done later than the 1st. Their reason was that it is done AUTOMATICALLY and the "SYSTEM" takes the payment on the ACTUAL DUE DATE and they can't change it. So I would forever be overdrawn on the first of the month. My bank allows one overdraw without penalty. Try explaining it would be happening monthly. No thank you!

Again, I'll say AIN'T AUTOMATION WONDERFUL!:mad:

I know I have some bills where on their web site you can actually request if you want to change the "payment due" date, you might want to check with your mortgage company to see if you can change the due date if that would be a help to you.

Very good point, I only use auto pay for our cell phone bill simply because we get a discount for doing so and the payment stays the same each month so I know exactly what will be paid.

All our other bills I pay manually online each month.

Many of my bills have an online "select payment date" option so I don't have to wait till a certain date to do it, for example today is the 13th and I have a bill due on the 20th, I can go online today and set up the payment to process on the 20th, that way I don't have to worry about getting busy and forgetting to do it in time.

I know I have some bills where on their web site you can actually request if you want to change the "payment due" date, you might want to check with your mortgage company to see if you can change the due date if that would be a help to you. QUOTE]

That won't work for me simply because my actual due date is the 1st and I cannot change it because I have never been able to pay on the 1st when they want it. Technically, they claim I am LATE even though the penalty date is the 16th. Since my checks are always posted four or five days after the 3rd (date I get my check) I'm technically not on time according to them. If I could pay ON the 1st they would gladly change the date. They let it slide that I CANNOT pay on the FIRST but I have to be sure I pay before the 16th! And until THIS TIME I always have. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that NOTHING happens to delay this SECOND check and that it will arrive before Friday the 16th.

Last edited:
The days of personal service are long gone . We're all just a number.

Yep. When I went in to set up my business checking account they asked me if I wanted to go ahead and set up a line of credit for my LLC while I was there. "Nope. I don't believe in credit." :shock::shock:

They've made it very clear they could care less if I do my sizable cash business there or not.

Sorry the bastards are giving you so much trouble Penny. Hope it works out in your favor from here.

The days of personal service are long gone . We're all just a number.

Reminded me of when there were no "self service only" gas stations, you would sit in your car and the attendant would pump the gas, wash your windshield, even check your oil and tire pressure if you wanted them to, it was a normal part of what they were expected to do for their job so there was no attitude about it.
fullservicestation.jpg fullservicestation2.jpg

Reminded me of when there were no "self service only" gas stations, you would sit in your car and the attendant would pump the gas, wash your windshield, even check your oil and tire pressure if you wanted them to, it was a normal part of what they were expected to do for their job so there was no attitude about it.
View attachment 406448 View attachment 406447

Yep, we have 1 gas station left around here , that I know of , that they’ll come out, pump the gas and wash the windshield. Remember Wachovia bank used to advertise “ your personal banker “. I’m starting not to like this world anymore. :mad:

Those were the days my friend....Today's generation is so lazy. They would be in a world of hurt if they lost a thumb -- couldn't text very well or control their phones and other games. They would definitely be disabled! :laughing:

Those were the days my friend....Today's generation is so lazy. They would be in a world of hurt if they lost a thumb -- couldn't text very well or control their phones and other games. They would definitely be disabled! :laughing:

Try to ask most places today to wash your windshield and they might look like :shock: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

While I still have many many times where customer service is surprisingly good, there sometimes is an occasion that is below par, like some weeks ago we needed to replace our dishwasher so I called the home improvement store to make sure they had the model I wanted in stock before we drove about 45 minutes or more to buy it, well the lady made it sound like I was asking so much of her because she had to physically go in the back to check. Hey, I understand that store can keep them pretty busy at times, but come on, I don't want to travel that far and they not have it.

Last edited:
Try to ask them today to wash your windshield and they might look like :shock: :laughing::laughing::laughing:

While I still have many many times where customer service is surprisingly good, there sometimes is an occasion that is below par, like some weeks ago we needed to replace our dishwasher so I called the home improvement store to make sure they had the model I wanted in stock before we drove about 45 minutes or more to buy it, well the lady made it sound like I was asking so much of her because she had to physically go in the back to check. Hey, I understand that store can keep them pretty busy at times, but come on, I don't want to travel that far and they not have it.

That's when I just tell them if it's that much trouble for you , then just keep it , I'll find one somewhere else to get it , or I'd do without for a while .

Back
Top Bottom