Cell Phones.....

Shunkaha

Don't know if it's me or the search function but I'm having a heck of time searching old posts for specific info. Anyway.... my question is.. can cell phone signal interfere at all with detectors? Do you all detect with your cell on you? Or do you leave them in the car? Thanks

Don't know if it's me or the search function but I'm having a heck of time searching old posts for specific info. Anyway.... my question is.. can cell phone signal interfere at all with detectors? Do you all detect with your cell on you? Or do you leave them in the car? Thanks

Yes, some combinations of detectors and cell phones can interfere with each other. Sometimes it's only apparent when an incoming call comes in. Other times, more subtly, when the cell phone lets the tower know of it's presence every few minutes.

I leave that dang cell phone in my vehicle.Don't want to be bothered with dang phone calls when i'm out hunting,if it's important they can leave a message so can't really contribute to this topic as to if they affect the machine.

LOL hunt with a cell phone? WHY. Are you not allowed as few hours to yourself without the chance of an interuption? I HATE my cell phone and it would be drowned if I didn't need it.

I refuse to be bothered and I am GLAD they don't work underwater when I am diving.

On a serious note. I was diving 160 miles away from home when my parents were killed by a guy on drugs. I got the news when I got home and then flew from Utah to Michigan the next day to be there for the viewing and the funeral. NOTHING is that important in life to have to have a cell with you 24/7 IMHO.

NOTHING in this whole world is more important than the peace I can have a few hours underwater with absolutly NO distractions and God's miracles all around me.

Last edited:
LOL hunt with a cell phone? WHY. Are you not allowed as few hours to yourself without the chance of an interuption? I HATE my cell phone and it would be drowned if I didn't need it.

I refuse to be bothered and I am GLAD they don't work underwater when I am diving.

On a serious note. I was diving 160 miles away from home when my parents were killed by a guy on drugs. I got the news when I got home and then flew from Utah to Michigan the next day to be there for the viewing and the funeral. NOTHING is that important in life to have to have a cell with you 24/7 IMHO.

NOTHING in this whole world is more important than the peace I can have a few hours underwater with absolutly NO distractions and God's miracles all around me.

Wish I could do what you do but I am oncall 24x7 and need to keep it with me. I have never had problems with either an iphone or Galaxy S3 and interruption with the F2, AT Pro, or Etrac.

Wish I could do what you do but I am oncall 24x7 and need to keep it with me. I have never had problems with either an iphone or Galaxy S3 and interruption with the F2, AT Pro, or Etrac.

How can anyone be on call 24/7? Do they pay you for that? No job is that important. One of my clients has me 24/7 BUT I have 5 hours to respond and I get paid 150.00 an hour from the time I leave my house till the time I get back home.

I always keep mine with me. For any emergency if nothing else.

It doesn't seem to cause any interference.

How can anyone be on call 24/7? Do they pay you for that? No job is that important. One of my clients has me 24/7 BUT I have 5 hours to respond and I get paid 150.00 an hour from the time I leave my house till the time I get back home.

I don't get very many pages and I am paid decently. I am one of two people who do my job so I am either primary or secondary oncall. Last week my colleague was on vacation so I was primary for a couple weeks straight. It's not so much the pages we get, but the anticipation of having a page. It's part of the job.

Where I live...you aren't at the top of the food chain anymore. And having a cell phone could save your life. I was just curious if the signal would interfere with detecting. I've seen people say that rare earth magnets might interfere and that got me to thinking about cell phones, since they constantly emit a signal. I still haven't pulled the trigger on a detector yet, but will this week. Trying to ask and learn as much as possible before hand. Thanks all.

I hunt with my phone, but have never had a problem. I hunt far from civilization and being able to call for help if needed is soothing to the mind. If I don't want calls, which I cand hear while detecting anyway, I can turn it off.

My Droid phone used to freak my F2 every few minutes, I guess when backing up things, getting weather updates, checking for email, etc. Finally moved it to the left side away from my F2 and it seldom causes problems for me now. I also have to be on call at all times due to work or I'd be glad to leave it at home. And yep, it is a necessary evil.

Phone stays in the vehicle, hopefully dead. When they make one that shoots bullets I will re consider carrying one.

Phone stays in the vehicle, hopefully dead. When they make one that shoots bullets I will re consider carrying one.

You might be onto something there. I like the way you think.

"Get the new Verizon 4G in .44 Magnum."

Havent tried it but just in case change settings to 3 or 3g (at&t service) instead of 4g or lte. Also turn off as many apps and bluetooth and wifi. Less transmission of the phone. Just my opinion.

I carry a cell phone in the 'off' position. I also carry a handgun and a taser, in the 'on' position.

Back
Top Bottom