ethical requirement when you find a ring?

I found a gold 1969 Abilene High School class ring in 1984 at Peter Pan Park in Emporia, KS. Drove back and forth to Emporia for college from home, but spent ALOT of time at PPP studying with my detector! Years later researched and contacted the woman who lost the ring. Gave it back and they (her husband met me to get the ring) could have cared less. Probably will return another if found, but left a bad taste in my mouth.

Whether it has a name or initials or not, I check Craig's List and I am a member of Lost My Stuff. If I do not see a posting for a lost ring fitting the description of the ring for 90 days, I consider it mine to do with as I please. I have taken the time to find someone before by doing the research to look up the school year and initials etc. only to get a very cold response from the "loser". I felt almost as if I was bothering them by returning the item. So now, I figure if it's valuable enough to them to post an ad or request help via LMS, I'll try to return it, if not, Oh well...

If you think you can find the owner do so, if not keep it. For those that are angry because they weren't given the "key to the city for your good deed"...so what? Those people that weren't appreciative of your noble gesture are obviously !!!!!!!!.

Don't take it personally. Returning a possibly valuable or sentimental item should be done it because YOU think it is right, not because you want a big ole' pat on the back. The feeling of knowing that you did the right thing should be good enough. If you went to anymore trouble than calling or getting in touch with the individual to say that you found their ring and would like to return it, then that was on you. I've returned rings in the past. Some people were elated and beyond words, others not so enthusiastic about me finding their lost engagement ring. Oh well, I did the right thing.

As for the d bags that acted like it was my job to find their lost ring, they can deal with the ramifications of being an ungrateful person. Hopefully, those people that were ungrateful to me or the others in this thread who helped find their items, will lose them again and no one will find them.....

Now, I do not feel like I am better than anyone else or am I self righteous. This was just my opinion and how I go about returning a lost item.

Everyone who talks about Karma and being paid back for doing good deeds, how do you know that finding the ring in the first place wasn't your payback from a previous good deed?:grin:

Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting. This hobby is as heartbreaking as is it is exciting. There are many different viewpoints to ponder as what an individual does with the treasures uncovered along with moral or ethical aspects of other metal detecting issues. Very good life lessons are going to be learned by your 10 year old son. Good luck and happy hunting to you and your son.

Everyone who talks about Karma and being paid back for doing good deeds, how do you know that finding the ring in the first place wasn't your payback from a previous good deed?:grin:

Had to chuckle at this, but ya know, there is truth to it. I haven't received my MD, so obvious a moot point right now. But, IF I do find a ring, I think I'm anal enough to do a search on it, especially a class ring. Saying that, LOST is LOST and I wouldn't blame anyone for keeping anything they got. It is a matter of morals, I suppose, but morals are subjective, aren't they?

I have a work cell phone and a personal cell phone. On each of them I have taped the message: REWARD IF FOUND!! CALL ***-***-**** (each having the other's number obviously) I lose it and someone finds it and calls me - I will meet them at their place of chosing and pay them $25. Should pay more? Should pay less? *shrug* I think it is fair enough if someone picks up the phone, simply calls the number and I meet THEM and hand them $25.

For items I may find with the MD... I suppose I will make that decision if and when I find them. Engraving with a name, sure. Class ring, sure. No inscription? Probably not. But I suppose my views may change as I get into hunting. I have lost things years and years ago. I don't expect someone to hunt me down and if they do, I would certainly reward them. btw, I travel a LOT and have lost a number of Morgan Silver Dollars... did anyone happen to find them? They are worth a couple of bucks to me, anyway....

I returned an item that I believed was extremely valuable to a lady and her family. A very personal item of her late fathers.

It wasn't easy to track her down, but I did.

When I returned the item, she didn't even say Thank You.

Of course, she doesn't have to say thank you, I mean the item was rightfully her fathers, after all it had his name on it.

But, I have to admit that I expected a different outcome, not a reward or anything, but maybe just some gratitude shown...

Anyway, I feel like if an item has someone's name on it, then the item belongs to that person. I would do some research to see if I could locate the owner, and if I couldn't then it it would be finders keepers.

No name, and more than likely, it's my ring!:D

I returned an item that I believed was extremely valuable to a lady and her family. A very personal item of her late fathers.

Of course, she doesn't have to say thank you, I mean the item was rightfully her fathers, after all it had his name on it.

Wow. She SHOULD have been thankful! That astounds me. Good for you, though. That's what matters, at the end of the day. That you do in your heart what you believe is true and right. That's what you sleep with, after all.

But, I have to admit that I expected a different outcome, not a reward or anything, but maybe just some gratitude shown...

Anyway, I feel like if an item has someone's name on it, then the item belongs to that person. I would do some research to see if I could locate the owner, and if I couldn't then it it would be finders keepers.

No name, and more than likely, it's my ring!:D

I had a similar experience although not detecting. We went to the store to get a couple things at Christmas. I paid with a $50 bill, the kid gave me $75 in change. We realized it when we got home, went back to the store to make it right, the manager of the store tried to make it out like my wife and I had done something wrong! I told the guy where he could stick it and left. Not looking for a parade or key to the city, just a simple thank you will suffice. Some people.

A couple of years ago, I found a 1984 girls class ring in a local soccer field, the ring was from a school 100 miles away. The ring had the girls name inside, so I took a couple of pics of the ring, and emailed the pics to the schools website, with the info of where I found it, and my contact info.

The woman that read my email, actually knew the rings owner, and had the ring owner call me. The ring owner was super excited that I had found her ring, and told me that if I would mail the ring back to her, she would reimburse me for the postage.

I found the ring on a Sunday, mailed it on Thursday, and never heard anything back about it. Good chance I'll just keep the next one.

so if you guys find a class ring with a name engraved inside, as well as a high school (or college) and the year, that you are going to make NO attempt to return property that is clearly not yours?

I think that says a lot about a person

I would get a much better feeling selling a gold ring and spending the money on my own family than "possibly" making a strangers day by returning it. That is what kind of person I am.

I guess I am supposed to donate all the coins I find to charity too?

in my experience there are two kinds of metal detector people - those that do it for the thrill of the chase, the chance to find long lost treasure, and then there are those that are in it just for the money

the money guys always say "finders keepers" no matter if there is a name, address, phone number etc etc on a find

the other guys have better moral values and will try to return a find if there is any way possible to

I agree with you 100%. the rest can say what they want, I myself could care less, but what you said is spot on.

so if you guys find a class ring with a name engraved inside, as well as a high school (or college) and the year, that you are going to make NO attempt to return property that is clearly not yours?

Oh please... :roll:

Some of us just don't care what YOU think.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

If you find a classring with a name and a year on it I think the right thing would be to try to find the rightful owner. This is what I have did. If you find a ring in a random area with no name its finders keepers.
I have lost a lot of respect from peoples post on this matter. Not that it really matters but just saying.

LOL this topic is as bad as politics, religion, hunting graveyards, and trespassing.

VERY SIMPLE AND EASY CONCLUSION!!!

Do what YOU feel is right. Do NOT judge others for doing what THEY feel is right.

YOU and ONLY you can decide how you want to handle the situation.

I return all I can. I have FRIENDS that do NOT. I REFUSE to judge them and they stay my friends.

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION. All you people that judge need to learn to tolerate others views. PERIOD

They all have A.R.A. stamped on the inside. Of course I'll try and return them:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom