Working on getting my first permissions today..

woodz71

Forum Supporter
A general store built in 1917 and a home site built in 1934, hoping something comes through. Question is, how many of you have done research and reached out to people via a phone call, or do you wait and try to catch someone at the property? I have also used social media to reach out to an owner as a phone number was not available. Some of the issues I have found are vacant properties or properties that are being used but have no residence. I understand that I would have a better chance of scoring an affirmative permission FTF but I'm seeing some cases where it's not an option. What say you?

Hopefully everything turns out OK for you. I would try one of those
field lanes between fields. You never know,there could be relics there also to be found .Relics could be just everywhere

...Question is, how many of you have done research and reached out to people via a phone call, or do you wait and try to catch someone at the property?....

I've asked and gotten permission both ways, face to face and by telephone. It just depends on how you can contact an owner, they're not always that easy to find in person.

I've asked and gotten permission both ways, face to face and by telephone. It just depends on how you can contact an owner, they're not always that easy to find in person.

No doubt, but I'm developing a system! :D

Well the home site was a no, they stated that they didn't want the liability in case something were to happen. :(

Anyone ever have that issue come up when asking?

Yep, I've had a few. People are worried about getting sued, can't blame them if they've already been down that road before. Then again it's also easier to gently turn someone down with a reasonable sounding excuse than it is to just say, "Nope."

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just got 2 NO's today alone. I contacted an administrator at the school board to gain permission to hunt a certain tract of land that has a lot of history and was turned down due to "other detectors have asked in the past and they went way too overboard and left a mess". I also contacted the owner of some property that is also rich in history and again was hit with a negative. They stated that they were collaborating a project to systematically detect and excavate the property methodically to exhume relics to study the history of their properties. I offered my assistance with their endeavor, that's all I could do.

Sounds like others in the past have hit up a lot of the places I want to gain permission to, kind of disheartening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This issue is why I primarily hunt parks and lakes in my area, although I've had permission for some nice old sites I've found absolutely zero silver or gold on them, and I figure it's probably because someone had the same idea I did but years or decades before I thought it up.

At this point I try to hit spots that others may not have wanted to mess with, or that don't really look like great areas, and it's paid off with a little silver here and there.

I always prefer a face to face opportunity. Makes a better presentation.

Also spend $10 and have some business cards printed up. Makes you look much more legit and professional.

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 237
I always prefer a face to face opportunity. Makes a better presentation.

Also spend $10 and have some business cards printed up. Makes you look much more legit and professional.

Thanks Chip, yeah I thought about that. There are quite a few places on my list that I still have to contact. I will definitely talk to the owner FTF from now on.

I've hunted a lot of properties. Forms and cards scare owners away, based on my experience. Cold-call door knocking gets me 4 out of 5.

Just my 2c.

Back
Top Bottom