gold dollar

joey786

Have any of you ever found a gold dollar with your metal detector ? I'm guessing not many are found because of their small size. Would love to find one.

Nope. Don’t look down there usually. That’s going to be pretty “location specific” and hard as hell to find because of all the terrible trash that reads very similarly. 1800s sites,maybe a ghost town,maybe an old farmers market from way back...
The normal coin hunter won’t likely find one,you’d have to be looking hard in that fairly narrow range and be willing to dig TONS of trash to have a chance.
On the bright side,a 20$ piece reads “quarter-ish” I believe I read once...so just dig all your quarters!:grin:

Nope. Don’t look down there usually. That’s going to be pretty “location specific” and hard as hell to find because of all the terrible trash that reads very similarly. 1800s sites,maybe a ghost town,maybe an old farmers market from way back...
The normal coin hunter won’t likely find one,you’d have to be looking hard in that fairly narrow range and be willing to dig TONS of trash to have a chance.
On the bright side,a 20$ piece reads “quarter-ish” I believe I read once...so just dig all your quarters!:grin:

Yes, going to be really hard to find. Years ago I read where someone found several but they were bunched up together making the target easy to to find. Wonder how many have been missed right under their feet.

At 13mm wide, they aren't even as wide as a three cent silver piece (though, I assume they are thicker than the three center). On my machine they are in theory supposed to ring up in the nickle range (18-21ish). I am assuming this is lying perfectly flat. Something that small lying at greater than 45 degrees is going to an easy thing to miss.

Those big $20 coins will read in the copper penny range. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_5951.jpg
    IMG_5951.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 352
I've found two $1 gold's. One after beach storm erosion, and the other was a park turf find @ an oldtown park.

Did you just go out, open your pouch, whistle and they jumped right in? Out east, we suspect that is what happens with gold coins out west.

Yeah, those guys on the west coast are always whining about east coast largies while finding multiple gold coins...cry me a river Cali. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yeah, those guys on the west coast are always whining about east coast largies while finding multiple gold coins...cry me a river Cali. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Yeah, especially since the east coast largies are usually pretty toasted and worth nothing, while gold is always worth something.

Those big $20 coins will read in the copper penny range. :cheers:

Thats the one in your avatar correct? BEAUTIFUL coin! Please excuse me For a moment, I need a change of britches :laughing: I hardly EVER dig copper penny signals :roll: there's no gold coins in MA though only large coppers and bust coins :lol:

Did you just go out, open your pouch, whistle and they jumped right in? Out east, we suspect that is what happens with gold coins out west.

Well ..... Yes. Of course. Go to any ghost town, stage stop, or beach storm erosion ...... throw a rock in any direction, and yes: You'll likely hit a gold coin. That method works better than the "whistle" method. :cool:

Also: Pesky common Philly mints are a rarity here. We mostly get the rarer S mints. haha

Thats the one in your avatar correct? BEAUTIFUL coin! Please excuse me For a moment, I need a change of britches :laughing: I hardly EVER dig copper penny signals :roll: there's no gold coins in MA though only large coppers and bust coins :lol:

Thanks cellr. Yep, that’s the one.

Better dig those penny signals brotha! :D

That is one beautiful honker man! I can only wish!!:grin:

Thanks IDX. They’re out there buddy! With the way you’ve been killin’ the big silver it won’t surprise me one bit to see you get a nice yellow coin! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom