What do you do when you find a wedding ring?

MetalMetal

I found a nice 14k with aquamarine and 2 diamonds on July 5th and gave it to my wife but just not sure about wedding rings.

This is the second wedding ring I found this summer, the first was for the owner as he searched for it.

I put in a Craigslist lost and found ad for this one but not sure if thats enough.

I stick them in the scrap pile unless its old then it goes into the save box ;)

When i started water hunting 4yrs. ago i found wedding bands and put ad's on my local paper in my first yr. no takes so i gave up! If i see an ad on lost rings that i found i will return it! Now, I didn't get into this hobby to trace the owners! Call me a Pirate........in fact i am a Pirate! :roll: I am spanish so it's in my DNA i can't help that! :lol: Plus, most of my finds are very old gold! :D

We check the Lost and Found section in our local paper. After 30 days, we consider the find as 'ours.' The only wedding ring we have found was waist deep in Lake Michigan and about 5 inches deep. Looked like it had been there awhile. Nobody ever put an ad in the paper, so now it sits in the jewelry box. The ring is also our avatar!:D

Rule #1 Keep your mouth shut about the description.....to many liars out there that will snag that ring
Rule #2 If there is no identification marks inside the ring as to ownership then it is finders keepers. There is no way the owner can rightfully identify the ring.
Rule #3 If you look for an owner, you will find one but it may not be the rightful one.
Rule #4 Craigs list is great for lost items but to many thieves for found items.
Rule #5 That ring may have been thrown away on purpose.

Rule #1 Keep your mouth shut about the description.....to many liars out there that will snag that ring
Rule #2 If there is no identification marks inside the ring as to ownership then it is finders keepers. There is no way the owner can rightfully identify the ring.
Rule #3 If you look for an owner, you will find one but it may not be the rightful one.
Rule #4 Craigs list is great for lost items but to many thieves for found items.

Alright Bobbie!!! You are a Pirate! :D

very sensible rules. I agree w/ all of them.

I only found 1 wedding band (mens). It was 4 inches deep and was probably lost in the 70's along with all the clad that was just as deep in that area. I didn't make any effort to find an owner since it really wasn't possible in this situation. It will end up going to melt when I get a few more.

I'm with Bobbie.
If there's a mark possibly IDing it, try to find the owner.
If not, the how could you possibly know to whom it belongs?

And... I'd prolly do what Detector does... if I was alone... err... among friends. :lol:

I don't know... I'm kinda Pirate-ish ... I got into this hobby to find the good stuff. I will help out anyone who asks to find something, but I'm not going to spend my time trying to search down an owner of a ring I find on a beach 800 miles from home. The way I look at it...People should be a little wiser about wearing the crown jewels to the beach to lather on slippery oils and take a dip. There are alot of people out there trying to scam you if you find anything. I just hunted our local beach on Tues. and had to buy a permit to do it for $5. In their rules it says that all jewelry must be turned in to the office and will remain there for 1 month.. If nobody picks it up, it's yours.... (Riiiiighhtt!) The secretary would find a nice home for it pretty quick, but I garauntee that it will never see the light of day till it's in my house! I believe in finders keepers type of thing. If it is marked with wedding date + initials and is found locally..I would try to find them. But at a beach...forget it! I like to be able to pay for my vacations with found gold.

I don't know... I'm kinda Pirate-ish ... I got into this hobby to find the good stuff. I will help out anyone who asks to find something, but I'm not going to spend my time trying to search down an owner of a ring I find on a beach 800 miles from home. The way I look at it...People should be a little wiser about wearing the crown jewels to the beach to lather on slippery oils and take a dip. There are alot of people out there trying to scam you if you find anything. I just hunted our local beach on Tues. and had to buy a permit to do it for $5. In their rules it says that all jewelry must be turned in to the office and will remain there for 1 month.. If nobody picks it up, it's yours.... (Riiiiighhtt!) The secretary would find a nice home for it pretty quick, but I garauntee that it will never see the light of day till it's in my house! I believe in finders keepers type of thing. If it is marked with wedding date + initials and is found locally..I would try to find them. But at a beach...forget it! I like to be able to pay for my vacations with found gold.

Right on Beef.... I agree... I didn't get into this hobby to find and return things... we also have the same rules here... blah,blah,blah ;) If someone asks me and they have in the past.. I'll look for and return an item... but the way I see it... if these people wanna wear their expensive jewelry to the beach and lose it and I find it... I'm gonna be very happy... if they have enough money to buy it... they have enough money to replace it :) I'm a pirate... :D

Remember... the pirate who dies with the most gold wins :lol:

It looks like mine

We check the Lost and Found section in our local paper. After 30 days, we consider the find as 'ours.' The only wedding ring we have found was waist deep in Lake Michigan and about 5 inches deep. Looked like it had been there awhile. Nobody ever put an ad in the paper, so now it sits in the jewelry box. The ring is also our avatar!:D

Oh man, I can't believe it, at long last you found my ring!!!!!:lol::lol: Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

I just returned one 2 weeks ago.I was at the beach an a lady ask if I had found a white gold wedding band, her son had lost it 2 hours ago an he just got married the day before, well after looking for about 30 min's no luck an they had just left the beach to catch a flight back to Italy.well about 10 min.'s later I found it an hoping they were still in the parking lot I went too have a look an found they coming out of the restrooms.It had his name inside an the date they were married an it also match his wife ring,they could not speak english very well but was very happy too get it back, they gave me a small reward for finding it,All together I have at least 15 wedding bands an 1 complete set, got 2 rings in 1 scoop.

I've only returned one. It was a case where the owner asked me to look for it and actually went with me on the hunt.

All others are mine.

Back
Top Bottom