Answering Craigslist lost ads

Digger Magoo

Forum Supporter
Has anybody answered any ads in the "Lost & Found" section on Craigslist? If anybody has done this, please chime in. I just answered an ad for a guy who lost his class ring, and this is how I responded...
"Hello, my name is Troy and I would like to help you find your ring. I have a metal detector and if you know the general area where you last had it I can help you, but only if you were in a grassy or open field. If you feel I can be of any help please contact me. Thanks for your time."
This could be a good way to make some extra coin especially when rewards are involved. What does FMDF Nation have to say?

Funny you mentioned this, because I just looked at the lost and found on craigslist for the first time the other day. Pretty depressing stuff with all the lost animals, but I did see that same class ring ad. I think it's a great way to give back to the community! Hopefully the person responds to you and you're able to help.

I also saw that someone asked for 50+ year old property to hunt on craiglist in the Denver area. Not a bad idea. Probably the quickest way to get permission.

I once answered an ad like this but didn't hear back. Then many days later I received an email thanking for my offer of assistance but she had found the item on her own.

I was just contacted tonight from a guy near by that has lost his wedding ring in the back yard. He got my name from the "lost and found" on this forum and sent me PM.
I am helping him tomorrow and will post my results. Wish us luck.

I also saw that someone asked for 50+ year old property to hunt on craiglist in the Denver area. Not a bad idea. Probably the quickest way to get permission.

Hey Prospector, Thats my ad!:p Too slow old timer!!
Are you the one that sent me a message about contacting you if I found someplace good to hunt?

Anyway, just thought it was funny you mentioned my ad. :lol:

I actually kind of figured that it was your ad. I didn't know your name (you mention it in the ad) but it said "almost nine years experience" and I remember reading that you've been at this for 8+ years in one of your previous threads. Heck of an idea!

By the way, the craiglist ad was very well written. Nicely done! Hopefully you get some positive responses!

I sent you a message when I first joined, saying that I'd be up for a hunt with you. I have a lot to learn and it sounds like you've got your skills pretty well polished. I'm a tot lot pro but a grass park [average] joe. :lol:

I was just contacted tonight from a guy near by that has lost his wedding ring in the back yard. He got my name from the "lost and found" on this forum and sent me PM.
I am helping him tomorrow and will post my results. Wish us luck.
Right on man, I hope it goes well for you. Find that ring quick for the guy to get him out of the dog house:lol: And scorpio I also saw your ad! Even Old Prospector saw that ad! Got around pretty quick!

I check periodically to see if there are any used detectors for sale and I stumbled into it. Hopefully people find the ad in their searches. Just include the words "Free, Furniture, and Tickets" at the bottom of the ad, and your hits will go up by 500%! ;)

Can you believe the amount of people that want to trade an item for a metal detector on craigslist? Detecting has gone mainstream! :shock:

Hi Magoo :)
I posted my biz card and brief decription of services in lostand found here in San Antonio.

I got a call from a wife that was strolling her baby, took her 14k, 1/2 carat diamond with saphire ring,put it on top of the buggy to put lotion on....and forgot to put it back on. This was 1 yr ago...

This is a park that MD'ing is not allowed. I called my contact at Parks & Recreation that i got my MD permit from, and I now have permission for the 4th, 5th, and 6th of April..from 8am-6pm to help find her ring. Tomorrow is the 1st big day!!! This is my 1st recovery attempt, and if found, my 1st ring!

What are your thoughts on reward money, etc. ? Should I just do it for free and get pics? All opinions are valued and really, I just want to find her ring for her :)

Thanks....and a seperate post to follow!

Hi Magoo :)
This is my 1st recovery attempt, and if found, my 1st ring!
What are your thoughts on reward money, etc. ? Should I just do it for free and get pics? All opinions are valued and really, I just want to find her ring for her :)
Thanks....and a seperate post to follow!
Hey sunder! Find that ring and get her out of the dog house too!:lol::lol: Good luck to you on that! And about the reward question... It's only a reward when the person offers it. IMO I wouldn't ask for money other than for gas or a chance to scan his/her/their yard if they live in a house.

well....no luck with the hunt, but did get a starbucks gift card for my effort.

Sorry to hear about that Dig up, I wanted to read another "hero" post. I've been wondering about lost jewelery getting sucked up in the mower soon after it's lost. BTW did you find anything else?

He didn't seem to want me to dig in his yard since his ring was lost only one week earlier and it should be on top of the ground. I did dig up one dime that was only 2 inches deep to show him the accuracy of the VDI display on my M6, though I know I went over several other targets that were definetly coins. Judging by the age of the house i am sure they were clad. I spent 2 hours going over a 20 by 30 foot area where he thought he lost his ring, but he only knows were he didn't have it last and not where he did have it....does that make sense.

I spent 2 hours going over a 20 by 30 foot area where he thought he lost his ring, but he only knows were he didn't have it last and not where he did have it....does that make sense.
If he wanted you to search that area only and not the whole property, IMO it sounds as if he didn't care much for the ring. You did your part, he should have let you search the entire place.

Good point. I just called him and left a message offering to search the entire yard ( if he is sure it's somewhere there).....I'll keep you posted. I sure hate to see some one buy another one if it's there...

I answered one last spring. Lady lost a family heirloom engagement ring while gardening. She didn't state in the ad which local city she was in. When I called her, she was very pleasant, sounded young and after a brief chat, it was decided that my wife and I would come out the next day. Then she told me she lived on Main Street in the historic section of Smithfield! Said I could keep anything else I might find! I was stoked and couldn't wait.

Next day my bride and I loaded up the motorcycle with 2 machines (lady said she had a couple kids so I figured I'd "short shaft" one of my land machines and let them help.) We arrived after a scenic 45 minute ride to a huge restored Victorian home in the middle of town, part of which was turned into a gift shop.

Turns out the lady's husband was a very talented chef working at Brutti's Restaurant in Portsmouth. He made all of us a fantastic lunch while I and the lady's 5 year old daughter hunted the unbeleiveably beautiful yard.

About 10 minutes into it, I found the ring. I discretely dropped it in my pocket without saying a word and continued hunting. About 2 minutes later, I dropped the ring in some mulch close to where my "shadow" was hunting. About 2 minutes after that, the little girl let out a shreik, dropped the machine and ran to her Mom with the ring in her hand, dragging my machine by the headphones that had slipped around her little neck! Mom started crying, daughter was screaming and laughing, Dad came out with lunch, and my wife and I spent the rest of the afternoon under the trees in this beautiful landscape with our new friends.

Did I find anything else? A little clad was about it. The yard only had about 4 inches of topsoil, then several inches of gravel, as if it had at one time been mostly driveway. But the day was one we won't forget for awhile. We ride through Smithfield a couple times a year and have stopped to say hello every time. I love CraigsList.

Hello and yes I did about a week ago I had a great time. I posted the story. HH

Back
Top Bottom