Methodology for detecting in cinders

IDXMonster

Elite Member
I have a fairground that has a couple of sections that have a layer of cinders about 3-5” deep, with a 2” layer of black dirt and grass on top. So from the surface of the grass, the bottom of the cinders is about 7” deep. These cinders seem to be mixed in with black dirt as well, so it’s not a super condensed layer, but crunchy to dig with the shovel and most importantly...they wreak HAVOC on the ability of the machine to achieve any kind of depth or stable ID. I’m running the Equinox 800, but in general...what have you found that improves the detect ability of a coin in this environment?
Thanks in advance for your experienced opinions....

It is interesting that with 104 views, I have no responses. This means to me that many people would like to know more about this subject, and a Google search provides relatively little about this. It’s surprising in a way, but what I have found is...nobody really has a surefire method. One fellow said his Explorer SE in Coin mode seemed to work somewhat, but he didn’t go into great detail.
Many of the old race tracks in fairgrounds were cinder tracks, and these cinders were used ALOT it seems, as I have run across anywhere from small pockets to very large sections of them.
One suggestion was to ground balance to them, so I’ll be relaying any useful information as I tackle this thing...

I will be the first to admit... I read your post, but wasn't sure what cinders are? Is it a layer of burnt coal?

I will be the first to admit... I read your post, but wasn't sure what cinders are? Is it a layer of burnt coal?

Indeed, that’s it! And what a bizarre effect it has on my machines. Many walkways and smaller roads were coated with it for stability and traction, and the layer can be substantial!

I have this at my fair grounds sites as well. REALLY difficult to detect but I guarantee that they are holding coins as there was a booth of some sort there making something. If anyone has a solution besides a pi machine, I would be all ears. I Don't have an answer for ya... if I did I would have another 10 or so seated in my pocket myself...

I have this at my fair grounds sites as well. REALLY difficult to detect but I guarantee that they are holding coins as there was a booth of some sort there making something. If anyone has a solution besides a pi machine, I would be all ears. I Don't have an answer for ya... if I did I would have another 10 or so seated in my pocket myself...

Exactly...unlock the secret and find what nobody else could. I’ll do my best!:yes:

Exactly...unlock the secret and find what nobody else could. I’ll do my best!:yes:

I can let you know what I have tried. I have tried ground balancing in the cinders...seems to just make the machine lose all depth and signals. I have tried just digging any noise the machine made but most of the time ended up chasing false signals. Tried different recovery speeds, hunted it in all metal as well. Next I think i'll start trying things like the gold modes and single frequencies on the nox and see where that gets me.

The principal components of bituminous coal fly ash are silica, alumina, iron oxide, and calcium, with varying amounts of carbon, as measured by the loss on ignition. Depending upon the source and composition of the coal being burned, the components of fly ash vary considerably, but all fly ash includes substantial amounts of silicon dioxide (SiO2) (both amorphous and crystalline), aluminium oxide (Al2O3) and calcium oxide (CaO), the main mineral compounds in coal-bearing rock.

It does seem like it would be hard to penetrate.

You should get about a 5 gallon bucket from your site, Take it home add to a mini test garden and play with it to see what gives you the best results..

Which mode do you feel so far works the best.. Beach :?:

I can let you know what I have tried. I have tried ground balancing in the cinders...seems to just make the machine lose all depth and signals. I have tried just digging any noise the machine made but most of the time ended up chasing false signals. Tried different recovery speeds, hunted it in all metal as well. Next I think i'll start trying things like the gold modes and single frequencies on the nox and see where that gets me.

Thanks for that TP, I will mess around with the different modes as well to see if there is something conclusive to be had...

The principal components of bituminous coal fly ash are silica, alumina, iron oxide, and calcium, with varying amounts of carbon, as measured by the loss on ignition. Depending upon the source and composition of the coal being burned, the components of fly ash vary considerably, but all fly ash includes substantial amounts of silicon dioxide (SiO2) (both amorphous and crystalline), aluminium oxide (Al2O3) and calcium oxide (CaO), the main mineral compounds in coal-bearing rock.

It does seem like it would be hard to penetrate.

GREAT information Mitch! THAT is the kind of info we might be able to play with. The whole “aluminum oxide” thing scares me the most, as all things aluminum ANYTHING really run interference in the quest for coins! Thank you!

You should get about a 5 gallon bucket from your site, Take it home add to a mini test garden and play with it to see what gives you the best results..

Which mode do you feel so far works the best.. Beach :?:

I have only used Park1 so far with the EQX800...I have a couple of other machines to test in there as well. FAIRGROUNDS, for some reason, have ALOT of this stuff in them. You know the second that the shovel goes into the ground that the cinders are there...a telltale “crunchy” sound....you know the one! It’s aggravating on one end, but holds ALOT of promise on the other end, because it’s extremely tough to detect the coins that are inevitably in there, and it’s been that way for everyone else too.
We WILL crack this, come hell or high water!:yes:

One of my 100 year old parks in the bad part of town has areas with a lot of cinder fill and what I believe to be fly ash from the cement plant. I have done ok on recent drops with the Atpro sensitivity down to one or two bars but can't get it to stay ground balanced for more than a couple of steps. I think I do good on recent drops because no one else hunts it. In spite of all the shootings there are a lot of friendly people there. I'm always having young ladies ask if I'm looking for a girlfriend or if I want to go to a party.

One of my 100 year old parks in the bad part of town has areas with a lot of cinder fill and what I believe to be fly ash from the cement plant. I have done ok on recent drops with the Atpro sensitivity down to one or two bars but can't get it to stay ground balanced for more than a couple of steps. I think I do good on recent drops because no one else hunts it. In spite of all the shootings there are a lot of friendly people there. I'm always having young ladies ask if I'm looking for a girlfriend or if I want to go to a party.

:lol::lol::lol: Sounds like everything BUT the detecting is a good time over there Jim! Those coins might be safe for awhile, so don’t work at it too hard...:lol:

I believe field mode was made to deal with coke, (Ash) in England. Maybe that will work for you? Oops, I'm talking about the Equinox 800.

Last edited:
"GREAT information Mitch!" ... It was the iron oxide that caught my eye, rust. It would seem to me it would play havoc with any coil. Does not seem to be a problem here tho, we have a coal fired plant right on the river, two of them actually and I think they either just dump it in the Mississippi or barge it back out when they bring in coal.

I believe field mode was made to deal with coke, (Ash) in England. Maybe that will work for you? Oops, I'm talking about the Equinox 800.

yeah that's what I started with(field 2 then field 1), still doesn't do terribly well at all

Back
Top Bottom