My Equinox 800 Take (Tests and Commentary)

Still a plugging along with Equinox.

Went to freshwater beach today to use the Equinox and try out my new scoop.

Thought I would share some info with folks.

First of all, I truly think folks using Equinox on freshwater beach are going to have a ball using. It will be interesting to see what folks can find this summer using.

Equinox don't mess around on smaller stuff either. I used predominately park 2 today. Did have to watch GB, as the ground would change depending on sand depth. Experiencing using Beach 1 mode, it didn't seem the ground balance reading would change like it did when park 2 was selected.

Also based on today use and previous freshwater beach hunts, seems a person depending on which detect mode they use, it's like changing gears as far as how big or small a finds one wants to key on when detecting.
Gold 1 will certainly find the specks of foil. Lol
Park 2 seems rings could be considered dead meat.
Beach 1 seems runs a tad quieter but offers a tad less depth vs park 2.

Enjoyable detector for me to use on fresh water beach.

Here is a pic of finds. Now this beach has limited numbers of folks who visit. In a couple weeks I have another freshwater beach that will be open to public. This particular beach has several more folks whom frequent.

2zz0zmo.jpg

Also got a call last week from an older gent. He lives in a place that is very old site. He had lost something in his garden (hammer) when plowing and wanted me to find it. I found the hammer and ventured over to the side of the garden and this popped out. About 60 ft away a cemetery with folks buried in year 1835.

Don't know how old this is. Looks old though, some kind of ladies pin. Was under 3 big roots that crisscrossed, so yep it has shovel damage. Didn't have my saw of hand digger with me.
I am trying to get this gent to let me hunt this site. Who knows what may be in it.

2lmx9mv.jpg

Getting a little better every day I think. Dug much less iron today and 2 cool items I posted over in thr coins shooter forum. Looks like a pewter or lead pin and an old pocket knife from Capewell horsee nail company

Was lusting after a v3i, but others above recommended against it for a relative newbie. Ordered my 800 two days ago. It arrived today!!! Dont know if I'm allowed to post this, but there is a metal detecting distributor in NYC who purchased more 800s than he had orders for. I snagged one of them, but had to pay tax as I live in NY . I think this place is the only md shop in NYC. Shipping via Fedex was free. Charging it up tonight as a friend got (2) 1-day permissions today on the oldest inhabited street in my upstate town. Town was prominent in The War of 1812 :) Not sure though whether to try Park 2 to start, with a click or two of iron bias, or maybe try one of the Field modes. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to set user mode to 5kHz, but was wondering which mode to be in first for user mode, before I change from multi-frequency.

Last edited:
Was lusting after a v3i, but others above recommended against it for a relative newbie. Ordered my 800 two days ago. It arrived today!!! Dont know if I'm allowed to post this, but there is a metal detecting distributor in NYC who purchased more 800s than he had orders for. I snagged one of them, but had to pay tax as I live in NY . I think this place is the only md shop in NYC. Shipping via Fedex was free. Charging it up tonight as a friend got (2) 1-day permissions today on the oldest inhabited street in my upstate town. Town was prominent in The War of 1812 :) Not sure though whether to try Park 2 to start, with a click or two of iron bias, or maybe try one of the Field modes. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to set user mode to 5kHz, but was wondering which mode to be in first for user mode, before I change from multi-frequency.

Andy,
Park 1 multi frequency is a good place to get a aquatinted with your new detecfor.

Back out with Euinox this morning in my detector proving grounds site. This site luckily is pasture vs hay field so no fertilizer applied.

I can say right now, on top of the ground or elevated scenarios testing and comparing Nox to other detects don't reflect just how good the Nox is at finding nonferrous targets.

I ran Park 2 mode initially for just a few minutes, and then switched to Feild 2 detect mode. I could tell right away even running both modes at speed 7 iron bias 0, field 2 mode was separating and tonally reporting the ferrous smother, not as cramped vs park 2.

Did make a few finds too, and only compared one of the finds located with Nox with Deus and 9" HF coil.

The Deus would see the target.
But freqs of 28.8khz and 54 kHz mandatory.
I even did a little experimenting.
I only checked the target using reactivty 3 silencer -1 as fas as these settings go.

So I checked this target, using 0 disc full tones in 28.8 kHz, IMO would be a hard target by listening to make a dig deciosn on.
Raising disc to 6 and listening using full tones a slightly improved signal. I would dig it if I heard.
Leaving disc at 6 going to pitch tones and dialing pitch of tone to maximum.
I could hear in 28.8khz, so Imstarted raising disc to see if target signal would become compromised. At a 9 disc setting a person had better be in their game to hear this target, level 10 disc signal gone altogether.

I checked using 54 kHz doing the above as far as raising disc. At a 10 setting disc wise I could indeed still hear the target.

Now with me saying all this above as far as Deus and round HF coil and the disc settings. There is one problem. User can be fooled very easy and dig some iron. There is no fine line really on decision making based on tone like using disc 6 and pitch tones. Sure a person can dig the no-brainers but by only doing you are leaving finds in the ground in polluted sites (ferrous).

And full tones and 0 disc and even low positive disc don't answer the calling here either, meaning user can still be fooled..

Pinpoint size on targets can't be used either to make dig or no dig decisions, although strength of pinpoint is a good method to use.

Now, enter the Nox. It on the find above gave the best intelligent signal (objective comparison here) as far as my opinion on actual locating and after locating, Nox signal best. By listening to Nox signal I would have rated this signal > 85 percent of being nonferrous. Using Deus and listening and based on behavior of tone I would rate > 50 percent chance of being nonferrous. And the reason is the signal was jut so short, like a blip sound. Nails can do this sometimes.

Field 2 using Nox is for real, I have had good luck locating finds. A user just needs to build themselves a regiment of things to study when the Nox sounds off. It can sound off on iron. Hint here. Using single freq especially 20 and 40 kHz can indeed help a person.

The target above 40khz single freqwould bump, 20khz no cigar (speed7).

There were 3 other finds made.
Two of these finds would yield nothing tonally using single freq ops (speed 7).
Both buttons too. And not overly deep.

The Nox seems is able to eek out nonferrous fighting the mineral affects with the multi frequency the unit possesses and with the tech.

To be able to make even 4 finds in this site with Nox with a 11" DD coil is extraordinary. This site is that bad. And I have busted it hard many, many times. So for anyone who thinks Nox is a mediocre relic unit-Better Think Again.

Or if the Nox is mediocre indeed, then the Deus is too.

I don't think either are actually.

I'll post a pic.

And plan on going back this after noon late. This field is ultra short right now with all this cooler than usual temps. It is just one of those sites, one that shows how a detecfor works and one never knows what might pop out.

Strength of pinpoint not size also can help a Nox user when making dig or no dog decisions. But a user of Nox will need to have some run time to get the hang of what is a stronger pinpoint vs. weaker.

I like hunting as far as locating with AM off.
Occasionally I will sweep some with it engaged though. But IMO when on it makes it harder to depict which targets are more suspect though.

Also I am becoming overly suspicious that Nox is besting Deus on thinner finds on edge.
Can't prove yet, but do suspect.
Nos has the uncanny ability it seems to give tone too on these types of finds as coil passes. Not when coil is over the center it seems.
Just a theory I have right now.
More time may prove.
m9avsy.jpg

Now this particular site has about every size of iron know. Lol
The pic below shows what a Deus user can dig using disc 6 or 7 (what I used), these babies sounded pretty good.
Pitch tones used.

Now full tones will smoke some of these out. And user won't dig, but user can by doing miss other good stuff.

I sure didn't dig any of these with Nox.

And I am not dogging Deus here, just showing what a position a person may find themselves in sometimes depending on a site.

In regular nails and bits, Deus does a better job.
Nickel in pic for scale to show iron size.
20ze1pk.jpg

An update here on my Equinox 800 use. (154 hours field time, 48 hours testing)
First I'll share a pic here.

fw0zv8.jpg

You can see how many hours I have used the Nox.
You can also see the stains on the control face. I have cleaned already a few times with alcohol pad too.
You can also see hopefully the scratches in the protective screen shield. Likely caused mosty by the zipper on my jacket hitting the screen especially when detecting in higher wind conditions.
Bottom line put the protective shield on your screens, right out the gate.

I think the use of the keypad if not protected, the ongoing abrasions cause by one's fingers will in time put a great deal of wear on the membranes.
I plan to apply a clear shield over mine after I give it a good cleaning.
When freshwater beach hunting, the sand on ones fingers definitely could accelerate wear here.

Another pic.

Today was the first day I used the wi stream wireless headphone model one gets with the 800 model package.
Hunted in the rain today, so picked the ear buds up for $5 at the dollar store and put the model in my zippered jacket pocket and hunted away.
Figured the worst I could do is trash a 5 buck pair of earbuds by getting wet.
2jbtlbc.jpg

Folks may laugh here when Insay this. Remember several hours using wireless headphones, today using the module I could tell a difference with the detector reporting. I was in a very polluted site too. Didn't do any comparisons to the wireless headphones. Just seemed to me a little different (better) using the headphone module. Those earbuds will come in handy in hotter weather too.

Today I spent 4 hours in what I call my detector proving grounds site.
And I did use prospecting 1 detect mode 0 iron bias a great deal.
Now this place is pounded to high heavens namely but me.
Every single target was compared using both field 2 detect mode (50 tones) as well as prospecting 1 mode.
The targets turned out to be located initially about even percentage wise between the 2 detect modes.
Every single nonferous target located using prospecting 1 mode, field 2 would,give good signal on. (Same speed settings) used to compare (each mode).
No nonferrous target deeper than 8".
Most actually between 5-7" deep.
One a mere 2" deep.

So what about prospecting mode.
I could hunt the site, but many times resweeps of spots of interest based on initial tone provided had to be done. Primary reason why, is because the way this mode works when sweeping ferrous, a time span for tonal transition will give users clue so they can spot the ferrous. So if you sweep a bit too fast you might not get a good listen to this time span for tonal transition. Sorta like Minelab GPX unit here for those familiar. Real short time span on tonal transition good indicator of iron. Using this mode and be real busy, it was for me today. But I have deus experience running full tones 0 disc- this helps. Now don't get me wrong field 2 in this same site ain't no cake walk just prospecting mode 0 iron bias busier.

Both modes seems can lie to you though on some iron. I witnessed this today. One target listening to field 2 just a hint of stutter in audio whereas prospecting 1 mode more stutter. If I would have have applied my regiment I usually use using field 2 I would have walked. But field 2 based on my past experiences, it was a dig me signal - not 100% sure it was nonferrous more like > 75 % chance.

Modulation using prospecting mode is actually better IMO on the shallower bigger iron vs field 2. But as far as actual nonferous buried good luck. I like the signal provided using field 2 better vs prospecting one tone provided. Field 2 use does at times provide high torn flash at the end of sweeping ferrous. You don't get this with prospecting mode.

Now, IMO the site today I was at using prospecting 1 detect mode more friendly to use vs my own yard. My yard is holy terror using.

I do think a user of Equinox can learn prospecting mode by locating some targets using say field 2 and comparing.

Now, here's what I don't know yet. What does a super high fringe masked detectable sound like using prospecting 1 mode. I do know what one of these using field 2 sound like.
So it may take me some more time detecting before I can figure out.

I did check one target discovered today using park 2. Not near as good a signal. And I checked with field 1 too. And even worse signal vs park 2. Kept speed the same in all modes comparing with iron bias at 0. Field 1 mode no way in the world on my best day would I have located the nonferrous. Park 2 it would have been possible on my best day I think. Field 2 easy money.

The Equinox purred like a kitten today and Sens was at 23 and 24 all the time.

Pinpoint strength is still one of the best clues to elimate some bigger iron. A medium strength or lighter sounding pinpoint pretty good give away for odds of nonferous. Trying to use pinpoint for sizing, a waste of time really in polluted site.

Equinox, does good in iron for coil size. Every single target today after plug removal and replacement, immediate area check using AM, all had iron, actually seemed all had multiple ferrous spread out.
Wish I had the time, to do a full area of target study just to see how much ferrous is there.

So Imdon't confuse folks with what Insaid about the earbuds with module sounding better. Tonally as far as sound they sounded identical to the wireless. I just thought based on my hand eye, ears, and brain coordination with coil sweeping using the module did better.

Nox has some tools aboard to use, I encourage folks to use them. Besides you paid for them.

Before I post a pic of the finds, I should say these couple things.
I did check 2 of the target dug undisturbed status using 15, 20 and 40 kHz using field 2. One of the targets yielded nothing tonally using the 3 freqs, and the other yield a very extremely small bump of tone in 40khz only.

Now a pic of the finds.
All nonferrous except for the 3 on the right,
Vertical standing square nail seems fools the Nox some times.
2vvuhqt.jpg

An update here on my Equinox 800 use. (154 hours field time, 48 hours testing)
First I'll share a pic here.

fw0zv8.jpg

You can see how many hours I have used the Nox.
You can also see the stains on the control face. I have cleaned already a few times with alcohol pad too.
You can also see hopefully the scratches in the protective screen shield. Likely caused mosty by the zipper on my jacket hitting the screen especially when detecting in higher wind conditions.
Bottom line put the protective shield on your screens, right out the gate.

I think the use of the keypad if not protected, the ongoing abrasions cause by one's fingers will in time put a great deal of wear on the membranes.
I plan to apply a clear shield over mine after I give it a good cleaning.
When freshwater beach hunting, the sand on ones fingers definitely could accelerate wear here.
I thought that that may happen. While I was wait on my 800 to arrive, I ordered a cover for the control box. If someone didn't have on they could probably cover the control bow with some plastic wrap, eg Saran Wrap. I had thought about that before the covers came available... just my 2¢

Today I took a nail 3 inches long and set it on top a quarter, ran Equinox down the barrel(Horizontally). No signal no matter what setting I adjusted.:( No detector I have used have been able to see it.
I placed quarter 1 inch below, It could see it if I brought coil up from below nail but not when on top of it. My At pro did the same.
I thought the Nox was going to see the coin going down the barrel.:nah:

Got my 800. Decided against purchasing the V3i Spectra. Went out once to a very hunted location and pulled up 4 silvers, a few other coins and a harmonica reed in 4 hours.

Was using Park 1, with sensitivity at around 18, after noise cancelling and ground balancing.

Thing I'm curious about is this. I realize that all the modes have different factory settings. I also realize that I can change those settings to pretty much whatever I want, and they will be locked in. What I'm curious about is whether the machine's processor does anything different depending on the mode. For example, if I were to go into both Park settings and both Field settings and change parameters so that they all matched, would the processor inside still do something different for Park versus Field. Again, I know the factory settings are different between modes and also between level one and two within the same mode, but does the processor/software/firmware have some different instructions built in that switch when you select a mode?

Got my 800. Decided against purchasing the V3i Spectra. Went out once to a very hunted location and pulled up 4 silvers, a few other coins and a harmonica reed in 4 hours.

Was using Park 1, with sensitivity at around 18, after noise cancelling and ground balancing.

Thing I'm curious about is this. I realize that all the modes have different factory settings. I also realize that I can change those settings to pretty much whatever I want, and they will be locked in. What I'm curious about is whether the machine's processor does anything different depending on the mode. For example, if I were to go into both Park settings and both Field settings and change parameters so that they all matched, would the processor inside still do something different for Park versus Field. Again, I know the factory settings are different between modes and also between level one and two within the same mode, but does the processor/software/firmware have some different instructions built in that switch when you select a mode?

Short answer is different detect modes have their strengths and weaknesses.
Based on soil mineralization, target's size, conductivity, etc.

The Nox transmits 5 frequencies (essentially each a sine wave energizing the coil). Some say it does this sequentially--a scope would tell the story. Anyway, the transmission is probably the same for each mode (although not certain); but, the received signal is analyzed differently, depending on the mode. Depending on the mode, different weight is placed on different frequencies. So, the modes are quite different from each other, even if you use the same user adjustments.

The Nox transmits 5 frequencies (essentially each a sine wave energizing the coil). Some say it does this sequentially--a scope would tell the story. Anyway, the transmission is probably the same for each mode (although not certain); but, the received signal is analyzed differently, depending on the mode. Depending on the mode, different weight is placed on different frequencies. So, the modes are quite different from each other, even if you use the same user adjustments.

Good to know! So, basically I still need to select the best mode for the type of finds I'm hunting for (and ground conditions). Then I can change the user adjustable settings to tailor that mode to my preferences.

Still been plugging along with Equinox.
Spent loads of time day before yesterday in my detector proving grounds.

Wish I had a dollar for every button I pushed today. Lol

Thought I would share this. I did something similar when I first got my Equinox. And posted in this thread actually.

Stock coil attached to Equinox.
Dirt mineralizarion reflects 5 ticks in Xp Deus meter.

Clean ground with short grass.

Clad dime at a solid 11” deep. Could be as deep 11.25.
Ground conditions damp.
Freshly buried keeping plug pretty much intact.

Sensivity levels 24 and 25 used.
Tried all detect modes with each getting noise cancel and Ground balance.

No tricks.

Only threes detect modes gave signals.with horseshoe button AM disengaged.
Gold 1and 2.
Park 2.

Park 2 sounded good.

ID of 2 in the meter high percentage of sweeps, depth meter pegged.
Speed 6 imo yielded best signal vs coil sweep speed.
I could get signal using speed 7 ( rated 2nd best behind speed 6).
I could get signal speed 8, but audio funky sounding.
Speeds 5 and also speed 4, slower coil sweep mandatory. Also coil would be a long ways past spot of buried clad dime before sounding off.
Using Gold modes I could get imo equivalent signals running one speed number higher (faster) vs park 2.

Next test a 13” buried clad nickel.
Again only detect modes to give signal were Gold 1 and 2 plus park 2.
Here though signal comes and goes, not as solid at giving signal on sweeps.
Speed 6 again gave best signal.
Depth meter pegged.
One way tone given on a lot of sweeps.
ID though ran from 4 to 8 when signal was gotten.
Speed 5 so, so and speed 4 notta.

Once I got to a lower speed. setting (slower) and could not get signal I stopped checked lower settings.

I can say with 100 percent certainty, if you advance Equinox coil too far on sweep progression, you stand a great chance of not locating some deeper nonferrous objects the detector is capable of locating. Like maybe 2” of progression. Eye on coil for detection extremely small yet is there.

How did the might Deus Version 5.1 11” LF dd coil do on the above targets?
On the buried dime, I rate a signal just because I knew the dime was there, Chopped big time. Played with a lot of settings, programs even did a little negative GB. I got nothing signal wise imo I wouldn’t consider taking a shot at digging.

The Deus on the buried nickel above. No signal I would dig ever. Nothing to even give me hint of a poasilbe nonferous lurking.

The 2buroed coins were checked this morning and again this afternoon 8 hours later.
Same results gotten with each detector noted above.
Btw, using Equinox and stock on buried dime, this afternoon I went one step further. I checked for signal manually selecting each channel after doing noise cancel. Did NOT GB after changing channels, Around half of the channels would at lest give me a one way signal when coil was swept. Three channels would indeed give me 2 way signal. Signal as good as I acquired with auto noise cancel done.

I think I can say with reasonable certainty, the 40khz used on Equinox with the multi IQ tech is one of the secret weapons.
Also some folks may be reading here.

How did the 2 deep coins above look and sound with horseshoe button engaged?
Lots of negative numbers displayed down to around -5.
Could a person be fooled thinking one of these deep coins is iron by ONLY listening and looking using AM? I think so.
But could a person indeed detect (hunt) with horseshoe button engaged and have a high chance of locating a deep target (more allowed coil slop) position wise? YES.
But in areas with lots of iron doing this may indeed takes it toll on you concentration wise.
Using Gold 1 detect mode will also allow more slop both in coil position but also sweep speed. You can always cross check using say park 2 detect mode.

Personally I don’t generally hunt with horseshoe button engaged.

Folks should think about what I said above as far as coil progression on sweeps.
A 20ft section when advancing coil 11” btw, to deem Nox dead it would take a whole lot of sweeps just in this 20 ft span. And this would only be from one direction obviously.
Two inches at a time.

Milder ground may allow for more slop or faster sweep speed for better signal acquisition.
And more extreme ground mineralizarion wise even worse than my soil in my area generally.

Btw deepest dime I have ever recovered using Etrac and CTX stock coils. Three at 10”deep. None were ever deeper. Lots of 8-9” deep dimes and wheats. These 10”deep dimes did ID as high conductors on the 2 detectors though.

Here’s is pic of my unit control head.
She is used, not been laying around.
Folks, notice the scratches on the protective screen in pic.
I urge all to pronto put a protector on your screen.
351hhr8.jpg

Spent 4 hours yesterday using Equinox 800 and stock coil in my detector proving grounds site.
I think some folks will find my results interesting.
I did make some finds and actually compared Equinox to itself changing detect modes on some targets.

So how many detectors in one is the Equinox actually?
I can’t say (above my pay grade) lol, but it is definitely more than one!!

Some folks reading here may just be looking at Equinox or maybe they already have one.
Some of these folks may be led astray based on how the actual detect modes are indeed named, thinking they can go by the name for their intended application and get the overall best results afield.

I can say without a doubt, the groups of folks behind Equinox are real geniuses. The power of multi frequency inside the Nox is evident to me. Granted this advantage won’t be witnessed on all buried undisturbed nonferrous targets.

All I know is the Equinox finds nonferrous, and seems some highly crippled. I can’t even say for sure if this being crippled is due to size, shape, orientation, ferrous or soil mineralization specifically.
Is the Nox the end all?
Don’t think so.
I have checked very few targets located using other detectors with Equinox.
I have witnesssed some other detectors struggling or not providing a signal at all I consider even borderline worthy, yet the Equinox is giving full clear(er) tone.

If I would have videoed today’s results it would have been a great video I think. The folks at Minelab would have indeed been very proud. Ole Calabash is trying to talk me into getting a camera and doing vidoes. I may.

I am not in the tank with any manufacturer. I report you decide.

This area today I had already spent quite a bit of time using Field 2 detect mode. This is documented in this thread. My experiences using field 2 while locating and sweeping some nonferous finds buried undisturbed, Park 2 detect mode for whatever reason always seemed to give stronger tone, yet tone was compromised, sometimes even very abrasive making a user maybe think iron.

Oh, I forgot to say and this is very important. It is my opinion Equinox capabilities cannot be fully demonstrated fully with on top of the ground testing, or even buried targets.So what I am saying watch those nail board tests, etc. I too have done such tests, and the real reason I did them was/is to maybe get clues to how Equinox will behave. The tests I did sure wouldn’t a total waste of time. They did help me.

Give me a few minutes and I will post some pics and talk about what I witnessed today while using Equinox.
Tinypic site is down.
Delayed for now.

Will tell in words and add pics later.

Three musket balls found, one rather larger.
One cufflink.
One piece of horse or mule tack
And one small thin piece of nonferrous.
All confirmed nonferrous (totally using magnet:.
Deepest target approx 5.5” deep,

Detect mode park 2used for locating all but one, the bigger musket ball. Used gold mode 1 for that one. Speed 6 iron bias 0 sens 24 used with Park 2. Default factory disc used.
rk4sgn.jpg

Cufflink gave a good signal with low ID using park 2. A signal I would have bet the farm was nonferrous by tonal signature and behavior.
Checked using park 1, field 1 and 2.
Same sensitivty used as I used with park 2.
Field 2 no cigar, nothing tonally I would even remotely dig.
Park 1 same results as field 2- nothing.
Field 1,I got an extremely weak signal, a signal I rate as I suspected something was there based on park 2 signal.
Gold mode 1, a blasting signal. Smooth too,
2ag5j01.jpg

Bigger musket ball was located using Gold 1 detect mode. I should say it got me to stop, but what I heard I was about to walk. Went to park 2 and just something about the signal even though it was compromised, broken I was very curious. Glad I did. Target read 15 innthe ground and airtested 15 as well. No telling how many times I have swept this baby in the past with Deus. Was only a 2 way signal too.
f9jnmh.jpg

Horse tack.
Park 2detect mode only mode of the park and field modes to give any signal. About 3.5” deep.
Didn’t check with gold mode.
205a9ad.jpg

The real small thin nonferrous.
Park 2 only mode of the park and field modes to give signal. I did adjust disc to 0 on all other detect modes when sweeping.
Gold mode 1 would indeed give signal. Tiny sounding though.
Checked this target using single freq ops.
Checked using 15khz, no cigar. 20khz no cigar. 40khz a real extreme weaker signal. Needed good hearing to hear.
96f2if.jpg

The 2 other musket balls.
Park 2 only one of the park and field modes to yield signal.
Gold mode 1 gave signals on both, smooth too.

Tnsharpshooter,this are character scars on the nox,not blemishes.Shows it’s been used.You need a virgin site with that thing,and just tear it up.lol

More data.
Spent around 2.5 hours with Equinox 800 and stock coil.
Back in detector proving grounds site.

The Equinox is deadly at unmasking nonferrous. Some signals not as obvious either, yet enough intel signal wise provided to locate nonferrous.

The quietness of the unit even running at 24 sensitivity is key imo, contributes to a user being able to bear down on already hard hunted sites and make finds.

Tracking ground balance.
I need to say this here. Folks should be mindful in using. It does work but in my use it doesn’t always keep up fast enough for ground changes. Users likely will hear little wispy tones (faint) start being provided. Sign of GB out of whack a little. And doing a pumping GB will usually show you are out a few points at least. The above as far as being heard works better for the park and field detect modes, not so much the gold modes. I encourage folks even if using tracking using gold modes to periodically do a pumping GB over clean ground-just in case.

I did compare some settings/detect modes today on what I was able to locate.
Today’s finds not cut and dried as to which have best signal. Signals I rate as actually something Inshould dig. But cross checking these signals did give me more to go on. And it worked it seems. Dug one piece of ferrous, I’ll talk about.
So Equinox does have tools even the 600 model (less the gold modes) to use for dig no dig decisions.

Last edited:
Based on what I see as far as Equinox performance in at least medium mineralized soil, it is one of the top detectors rated for locating the elusive 3cent coin made of nickel. And also find deeper when compared to many other VLF detectors. The $1 gold coin I rate Equinox high performing too.

I have located numerous very thin flat button real small with ID reading 8-10.
This is in the same area ID wise as the coins mentioned above read.
Some of these real thin flat buttons dug as deep as 9”deep, more at 8” deep. And some shallower. These thin small flat buttons most without a loop attached are tough cookies for detecting it seems. I have done head to head on many of these buttons using other VLF detectors.
So far the only detector that can compete with Equinox here is the mighty Deus wearing a HF coil.
Seems the detector needs to be run at least to 28.8 kHz to stand a good chance, but even high freq seems give farther advantage. (In my soil). Equinox is a soil unmasker. This soil unmasking is not talked about enough imo. This is different than separation and how a detecfor performs in and around ferrous.

Equinox gives clear tones on these small targets. Not zippy sound like Deus. Equinox here I consider gives more intelligent signal, especially using park 2and field 2detect modes.

Here is a helpful tip fo Equinox users.
Using pinpoint on Equinox with multi freq used, be careful trying to evaluate target size. Equinox seems to give a lot bigger pinpoint footprint than really any other detector I have ever used. If you are not careful you’ll think bigger (like iron) based on pinpoint, when actually it’s a nonferrous under your coil, and you may be surprised at how small it may turn outans or how deep.

It seems most times when Equinox is doing a ‘miracle unmasking’, coil hot spot for detection is exceedingly small yet present.
Users should carefully consider the above when sweeping their sites, especially previously hard hunted.

You take a 13-15 kHz unit into a site like mine and expect to detect what’s left in this site. User will be SOL. This statement based on actual cross checking using detectors that operate within these parameters freq wise, after targets located with Equinox using multi freq.

Relic hunters thinking single freq ops using Equinox will buy you a lot. THINK again. Direct head to heads I have done on targets in my hard hunted Deus previous site, single freq seems to offer no advantage. Most instances only 40khz single freq (would SOMETIMES) yield a signal although weaker than using multi freq. Use of 20khz single freq usually provided a blip of on tone to no tone at all, and when provided exceedingly weak.

On calm days the use of external speaker is very adequate with volume maxed to to find very challenged targets.

In my soil (reads 5 ticks on Deus mineralization index meter speed 6 seems to work well. Will strike deeper targets. Is sweep speed friendly.
Use of speed 5 imo a user can miss smaller harder to detect finds easier. If a user chooses to use speed 5 in soil like mine, be on guard for one way hits tone wise. A user if they get could go speed 6,and just maybe start getting 2 way sweep tone on target.
Don’t forget speed 6 on 800 unit =speed 3 on 600 model.

I haven’t witnessed thus far any reason to run lower sensitivty in a site due to medium rated iron ridden areas. This comment is for site itself not possible Emi. I have witnessed some poorer performance while running max sensitivty of 25 vs 23 or 24. I generally run 24 se sensitivty Emi permitting which is in most places I have hunted.

This fall and winter, I will be watching to see if what I have said above comes to fruition based on my experiences so far with Equinox and stock coil.

This small thin button located and dug today. Clad dime in pic for scale. Depth of the button was Garrett Propointer length deep less 1”. Around 8”deep. Fascination to see any detector to get a lock on this in my soil.
2zi4ygh.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom